Exposed pinion an spur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Talion
  4. Talion EXB
For off road conditions? I don't get it. Doesn't mean I don't like my talion, I do. Even just as surprising is the fact that nobody really talks much about it. I think of it as radio control Russian roulette,never know when she might go off/out. Like talking a knife to a gun fight when off roading.

In 5th scale its the same, DBXL, LOSI 5ive, Buggy. Minus the Rampage and Bajathat both have covers but then again both are more exposed, placed on the right side.

I agree, its not a racer, but a basher. Been classified as such its a given it will be trashed, run in all conditions.
The reason why I like my Blackout, its not a 1/8th, but it has certain features like covered gears which makes it worry free.

Although for the fun of it I drove the Talion on gravel back to back w epic power slides, rooster tails, watching I don't lose an eye when the truck is spraying pebbles and one pinion pebble jam.

In 5th scale its the same, DBXL, LOSI 5ive, Buggy. Minus the Rampage and Bajathat both have covers but then again both are more exposed, placed on the right side.

I agree, its not a racer, but a basher. Been classified as such its a given it will be trashed, run in all conditions.
The reason why I like my Blackout, its not a 1/8th, but it has certain features like covered gears which makes it worry free.

Although for the fun of it I drove the Talion on gravel back to back w epic power slides, rooster tails, watching I don't lose an eye when the truck is spraying pebbles and one pinion pebble jam.
feel better about off road with my Xmaxx,covers an ground clearance I like.

I was concerned about that a bit with my trucks when I first got them.. But the mod 1 gearing can take a beating before it gets affected by gravel or sand. I've run my trucks easily 50 times each and I've only ever damaged 1 pinion gear, and that was because of a bad accident.

I really don't think this is something to be concerned about.

I was concerned about that a bit with my trucks when I first got them.. But the mod 1 gearing can take a beating before it gets affected by gravel or sand. I've run my trucks easily 50 times each and I've only ever damaged 1 pinion gear, and that was because of a bad accident.

I really don't think this is something to be concerned about.
Judging the look of spur gear ,I should probably fear Robinson racing pinon gear. 6S factor

I also found this to be the one problem with the RTR Typhon. I cannot believe how many pinion gears I have sitting in a pile, that are all missing one or two teeth because of a small rock-jam. Has anyone found an aftermarket or a tidy DIY solution? If so, please share? :) I love the thing, but even with a nice shroud, I've replaced the pinion gear 6 times in about 17 batteries. It's better, if I only run 4S and don't do a lot of burnouts, but I bought this thing to bash and jump and goes fast.

Its the way it had been on nitro applications on 1/8th scale.

I am selective on bashing locations. You need to see when I drive them almost in the dark and sparks from the drivetrain shredding the drivetrain.

But ARRMA labeled the rtrs are bashing warriors and their marketing videos clearly present that and they should address the problem.

I am already starting my own collecttion of destroyed pinion gears.

Its the way it had been on nitro applications on 1/8th scale.

I am selective on bashing locations. You need to see when I drive them almost in the dark and sparks from the drivetrain shredding the drivetrain.

But ARRMA labeled the rtrs are bashing warriors and their marketing videos clearly present that and they should address the problem.

I am already starting my own collecttion of destroyed pinion gears.

Hah, funny, well, thanks, at least I'm not the only one :p
I can't be selective on my locations, unfortunately, but I agree. My friends all have some other 1/8 buggies, that don't seem to suffer this issue. One is a TLR 8ight, and I noticed the alum chassis design goes further back, where the typhon cuts at more extreme angle, so even the end of the motor is totally exposed. Maybe Arrma could make a spur/pinion gear cover like a service bulletin or recall, please Arrma?

Its not just rocks but wires and batteries too...
I made a cover to go between the battery and the spur as i was worried about it hitting the battery.
After a few packs down the bmx track i noticed buzz marks on the inside of it from the spur gear ! I can see why a few have had their soft packs go up in smoke....

Its not just rocks but wires and batteries too...
I made a cover to go between the battery and the spur as i was worried about it hitting the battery.
After a few packs down the bmx track i noticed buzz marks on the inside of it from the spur gear ! I can see why a few have had their soft packs go up in smoke....

Yes, totally true. I have angled my battery tray so the back is slightly more "outside" and so far, no signs of the spur hitting any Lipos :)
Just the other day, the spur sucked in the wires from my Lipo alarm extension! Luckily, just the extension wires were wrecked, but only required slowly unwinding while pushing the buggy backward...I still don't know how it happened but I was doing a lot of jumping ;P

Yes, totally true. I have angled my battery tray so the back is slightly more "outside" and so far, no signs of the spur hitting any Lipos :)
Just the other day, the spur sucked in the wires from my Lipo alarm extension! Luckily, just the extension wires were wrecked, but only required slowly unwinding while pushing the buggy backward...I still don't know how it happened but I was doing a lot of jumping ;P

Lucky it was just the alarm wires...
The bit i put on the side of the battery tray sits just over the spur gear cover too so my wires cant drop in from the top. But i also run a third battery strap thats just to wrap around the wires/connectors....

The fan cover is just fly screen... I Cut a bunch into little squares and just pop the the screws through it that hold the fan cover on.... Keeps leaves and small sticks etc out really well :)
I have a small velcro strap going around the esc now too instead of the cable tie. Easy to get off when the fan needs a cleen..

Hi

Here is my two cents on the exposed gears. Exposed gears are a remnant of Nitro powered RC's which have clutch bells that will stop spinning when a rock gets stuck in the gears in order to save the system, unlike electric motors that will try to continue to spin no matter what is stuck in the gears. That is why it is better not to uses a hardened steal pinion gear with these electric systems, better to replace a broken pinion then an entire drive system. All so if you do a seach on google for "1/8th scale buggy gear covers" and then switch over to images you will see a couple of different gear cover systems that might work for you.

Last edited:
You could also use a spur in plastic. It also reduces the noise level.
But a proper Spur/Pinion guard would be nice.

Last edited:
Hi

Here is my two cents on the exposed gears. Exposed gears are a remnant of Nitro powered RC's which have clutch bells that will stop spinning when a rock gets stuck in the gears in order to save the system, unlike electric motors that will try to continue to spin no matter what is stuck in the gears. That is why it is better not to uses a hardened steal pinion gear with these electric systems, better to replace a broken pinion then an entire drive system. All so if you do a seach on google for "1/8th scale buggy gear covers" and then switch over to images you will see a couple of different gear cover systems that might work for you.

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I have been searching, as you mentioned, and will keep looking!

You could also use the Team Durango 50T spur in plastic. It also reduces the noise level.
But a proper Spur/Pinion guard would be nice.

Very interesting...although I like the noise :) at throttle, the sounds it makes very appropriate to the old name (Typhon.)

Just a thought, but will the Outcast tall sides fit on the typhoon? I'm thinking they will interfere with the body, but they sure do keep the junk out of my Kraton.

Just a thought, but will the Outcast tall sides fit on the typhoon? I'm thinking they will interfere with the body, but they sure do keep the junk out of my Kraton.
looks to me that they would not fit well with the Typhon canopy, but at least the better fitting shroud is helping enough, for now...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back