External Bec thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
So the topic is external bec's.
Decided running an external Bec is something I'd like to do and after a quick Google search a lot of people are suggesting castle creations external Bec 10amp non pro version

They also make a pro 20amp version but after searching for that one specifically I saw about four or five threads saying to stay away from them and that they are being recalled so that's off the table.

Does anyone here use an external Bec with their setups for the preventing of glitches and or hv servos (7.4v) ?

If you do what brand have you gone with and has it worked good for you?

update to this. I contacted castle and the 20 am bec pro's are good to go they fixed the issue that they were having. ordered two :)

BEC Specifications: Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V

you can run it at those voltages.

not sure how much of a difference .4 volts would do to a servo but some capp out at 8.4 volts.
All depends on what you want to do but with that setup you wouldnt need an external bec necessarily because it allows for adjustment of output voltage

You have to spend more if you desire to change the output voltage on the Castle stuff...

You have to spend more if you desire to change the output voltage on the Castle stuff...

I've been shopping / researching BECs and just recently discovered this. What an obnoxious way to do it..

Thankfully I found one simple trick those fat cats at castle don't want you to know about!! Your local hobby store, mine will happily flash the BEC at no charge. Definitely worth a calling and asking your local shop.

Just an FYI, if you buy the 20amp CC BEC you will be short a channel on the stock Arrma receiver. The CC 20 amp BEC has 2 leads that need to plug into the receiver. Spoke with castle and you will need a y harness...I haven't done it yet, but will do so when I have time. I might call CC to make sure you are installing correctly.

Confirming as well that you won't lose the ability to program the esc , meaning the switch should work I think. Don't care about the switch (would cut it off normally) but want to adjust punch etc.

...and the CC programing stuff works for castle esc and BECs alike. I have both, and the programming cord is not too expensive off ebay. A one time investment, and for many of us hobbyists CC stuff gets a good look whenever we get the upgrade bug.

But indeed going to your hobby shop to flash is indeed cheaper...if you have the iron will to resist buying other stuff while in there!

I also don't know if Castle is still doing it or not, but every Castle ESC that I have bought came with coupons in the package for your choice of a free Castle link or a really cheap field link (also works as a Castle link).

Just an FYI, if you buy the 20amp CC BEC you will be short a channel on the stock Arrma receiver. The CC 20 amp BEC has 2 leads that need to plug into the receiver. Spoke with castle and you will need a y harness...I haven't done it yet, but will do so when I have time. I might call CC to make sure you are installing correctly.

Confirming as well that you won't lose the ability to program the esc , meaning the switch should work I think. Don't care about the switch (would cut it off normally) but want to adjust punch etc.

...and the CC programing stuff works for castle esc and BECs alike. I have both, and the programming cord is not too expensive off ebay. A one time investment, and for many of us hobbyists CC stuff gets a good look whenever we get the upgrade bug.

But indeed going to your hobby shop to flash is indeed cheaper...if you have the iron will to resist buying other stuff while in there!

Chatted with my lhs guy for a while and learned you can run just one of the castle leads, as long as you are okay with only half the output amperage. In my case I bought the the 15 amp waterproof BEC, and had them flash it for 7.4 volts. Should be plenty considering stall draw on my servo is less than 6 amps. So no issue with running out of rx ports, and this leaves the 4 wire output on the castle easily accessible for reflashing if need be.

Will post a fresh thread with the build, but came out great and my new spektrum s6280 servo appears to be a beast.

I also don't know if Castle is still doing it or not, but every Castle ESC that I have bought came with coupons in the package for your choice of a free Castle link or a really cheap field link (also works as a Castle link).

Just double checked, no coupons in mine :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back