External Microphone for GoPro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I want to buy an external microphone for my GoPro. It looks like I need this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hero5MicAdpt--gopro-pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter

What would be a good clip-on microphone to pair with that?
Depends on what you are trying to record. For voice and general overall ambient sound, a lav mic with a wind muff would be good.

For more directional recording, to avoid the environmental noise, like people nearby or a distant lawn mower, you want a shotgun mic.

Either way, you want a good wind muff like a dead cat to block all wind noise. I can send you exact models if you’re interested.

Depends on what you are trying to record. For voice and general overall ambient sound, a lav mic with a wind muff would be good.

For more directional recording, to avoid the environmental noise, like people nearby or a distant lawn mower, you want a shotgun mic.

Either way, you want a good wind muff like a dead cat to block all wind noise. I can send you exact models if you’re interested.
I want something that clips on so if I move away from my stationary GoPro the audio stays the same.

I am going to go ahead and post what I bought in case you or others want some examples.

First off I bought the GoPro 3.5mm adapter on eBay for $59 - $10 off AMEX coupon for a total of $49. Not sure if this seller is still selling at this price or not as the listing is gone since this was from Oct.

BE6EFAD2-2331-4848-A1E5-4D5A91E31F4B.jpeg

The next part I wanted was the housing to hold the adapter. I found this on Amazon for $15. It also has a cold shoe on top to mount a mic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQRXZWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dYGkEbNQBM6CH

Next you will want a mic or two depending on what you want to record. For omni-directional sound, you want a lav mic. This will pick up all sound around you with very clear vocals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPZPPYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ULqtnaN4FiWIt

For more directional sounds, and to minimize noise from around you, you want a directional mic, like a shotgun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0723D3FVL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_h6ldFTzlIfdm7

These are not pro level mics. The Rode brand is far superior, but also more expensive. These non-pro level mics will be far better than the built in mic on the GoPro though. And unless you are doing broadcast level recordings, these will be just fine. If you’re using a GoPro for video, you’re obviously not doing pro level shots, so no need for the extreme audio as well. ??

With this setup, the lav mic would be clipped on your chest, or the shotgun mounted on the cold shoe above the camera.

8DA41F86-6CC6-4F64-ADE6-474EDAE74562.jpeg

The panda is a $30 version of the $12 one I linked above with a designer bag and some social media drive behind it. ??✌? I’m sure it will work fine too. If you want top notch, buy Rode, Shure, or Sennheiser.

The only time I'll probably ever use it is when I'm doing a bench video with my GoPro mounted in a fixed position. So I don't need anything professional. Thanks, guys.

The only time I'll probably ever use it is when I'm doing a bench video with my GoPro mounted in a fixed position. So I don't need anything professional. Thanks, guys.
No way. Just get the lav mic I posted for $12 and it will sound really good.

And the GoPro adapter, correct?
Yes. There isn’t a 3.5mm input on a GoPro. You will also have to remove the door that covers the input, which of course makes it no longer waterproof. Just an FYI.

Yes. There isn’t a 3.5mm input on a GoPro. You will also have to remove the door that covers the input, which of course makes it no longer waterproof. Just an FYI.
Remove it permanently? If that's the case, no way.

Remove it permanently? If that's the case, no way.
You can put it back on. You just have to remove it to plug the mic adapter back in. If you go to use it in a wet area, put the door back on.

You can put it back on. You just have to remove it to plug the mic adapter back in. If you go to use it in a wet area, put the door back on.
Did you miss the part where I said I would only be using it for bench videos?? I tend to do those indoors ???

I appreciate the help, Jon. I was pretty lost when it came to mics and a GoPro.

Did you miss the part where I said I would only be using it for bench videos?? I tend to do those indoors ???

I appreciate the help, Jon. I was pretty lost when it came to mics and a GoPro.
Me too. I had to figure most of this out on my own. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back