Kraton Extra crispy K8S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Notorious
Finally had a chance to put my upgraded rig through its paces. It’s hot here in NJ and maybe the grass was a little thicker than I thought. My motor hit over 230F tonight and my ESC was in the 145-150 range.

I ran two 4s power hobby 8000mah 100c and didn’t take it to the LVC. brought it in to check the temp as this was my first official run with my 23T pinion and 20m weight center diff fluid. It also has duratrax belted tires if that helps shed light on the situation.

i already ordered fans from NTF and am waiting for them to arrive. in the meantime, any ideas as to why it could have spiked so higH? I did maybe 4 high speed passes and a few wheelies and that was it. 220+ temps.

obviously I’m worried about the health of the motor and ESC but will run this till it dies at this point unless there’s other damage I inflict by doing so.

insight appreciated.

Attachments

• E3BBE85E-9782-4A8F-AEAA-F7616A699F35.jpeg
    E3BBE85E-9782-4A8F-AEAA-F7616A699F35.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 63
Any feedback as to why temps could have spiked so high? Maybe my humor in the title was lost on the community?

also, do hobby grade vehicles not have thermal cut offs? If I didn’t have a thermometer I could have kept running this thing - It was running GREAT.

Last edited:
Things to keep an eye on for motor/ESC temperature: high outside temperature, high humidity, large pinion size, bad bearings.
I would definitely get motor fans ASAP, check bearings, and consider gearing down -> try not to go in excess of 160-170 Fahrenheit.

Things to keep an eye on for motor/ESC temperature: high outside temperature, high humidity, large pinion size, bad bearings.
I would definitely get motor fans ASAP, check bearings, and consider gearing down -> try not to go in excess of 160-170 Fahrenheit.
Maybe the high temps here contributed to a spike because I’m near positive everything else was considered and checked. Time to get back in the workshop I guess. Thanks.

Any feedback as to why temps could have spiked so high? Maybe my humor in the title was lost on the community?

also, do hobby grade vehicles not have thermal cut offs? If I didn’t have a thermometer I could have kept running this thing - It was running GREAT.
Sensored motors do have thermal cutoff settings that can be setup if the ESC has them. However sensorless motors have no way of even knowing their temps, hence the name sensorless.

Summertime+big batteries+big tires+big pinion=big heat. Look things over as said above but I think these are the main issues. I check my temps every 5minutes in this heat. It’s either that or go back to putting around.

Finally had a chance to put my upgraded rig through its paces. It’s hot here in NJ and maybe the grass was a little thicker than I thought. My motor hit over 230F tonight and my ESC was in the 145-150 range.

I ran two 4s power hobby 8000mah 100c and didn’t take it to the LVC. brought it in to check the temp as this was my first official run with my 23T pinion and 20m weight center diff fluid. It also has duratrax belted tires if that helps shed light on the situation.

i already ordered fans from NTF and am waiting for them to arrive. in the meantime, any ideas as to why it could have spiked so higH? I did maybe 4 high speed passes and a few wheelies and that was it. 220+ temps.

obviously I’m worried about the health of the motor and ESC but will run this till it dies at this point unless there’s other damage I inflict by doing so.

insight appreciated.

It sucks when you buy any RTR and cant even run a couple packs through it without it overheating. :rolleyes: Lower kv motors will help you in the temp department. The ESC should have a thermal shutdown but the motor does not. Did you temp the ESC? EDIT: NM, saw the ESC temp.

Move over to Nitro! Same power throughout the whole tank of fuel and you can tune in temps. (y)

Last edited:
Sensored motors do have thermal cutoff settings that can be setup if the ESC has them. However sensorless motors have no way of even knowing their temps, hence the name sensorless.
Hobbywing makes unsensored ESC's and motors that do have a temperature lead for the motors. The Max10 SCT is one example.

@jondilly1974 said:

Hobbywing makes unsensored ESC's and motors that do have a temperature lead for the motors. The Max10 SCT is one example.

(y)

It sucks when you buy any RTR and cant even run a couple packs through it without it overheating. :rolleyes: Lower kv motors will help you in the temp department. The ESC should have a thermal shutdown but the motor does not. Did you temp the ESC? EDIT: NM, saw the ESC temp.

Move over to Nitro! Same power throughout the whole tank of fuel and you can tune in temps. (y)
I grew up on nitro and got tired of it real quick. The constant tuning wasn’t worth the performance I got out of my machine. That and it’s noisy and I want to run in the street with my son. Electric is literally the best thing I discovered, but now I’m in the rabbit hole of learning how to tweak it

@jondilly1974 said:

(y)
In general, sensorless motors don’t have a temp sensor. Can you add a temp sensor lead from another device? Sure. Radios have telemetry capabilities. Some ESCs apparently do as well. But that data is coming from an external sensor, not the motor via the three phase wires.

I grew up on nitro and got tired of it real quick. The constant tuning wasn’t worth the performance I got out of my machine. That and it’s noisy and I want to run in the street with my son. Electric is literally the best thing I discovered, but now I’m in the rabbit hole of learning how to tweak it

Some don’t like to tune or ever owned a really good nitro engine. The rtr nitro engines leave a bad taste in people’s mouths. Some prefer the easy plug and play. I get it.

In general, sensorless motors don’t have a temp sensor. Can you add a temp sensor lead from another device? Sure. Radios have telemetry capabilities. Some ESCs apparently do as well. But that data is coming from an external sensor, not the motor via the three phase wires.

There are motors And ESC’s that have temp sensors that are not sensored systems. I was quoting bicket’s post. Don’t know if you saw that.

Some don’t like to tune or ever owned a really good nitro engine. The rtr nitro engines leave a bad taste in people’s mouths. Some prefer the easy plug and play. I get it.

There are motors And ESC’s that have temp sensors that are not sensored systems. I was quoting bicket’s post. Don’t know if you saw that.
He didn't. He has me on ignore ???

He didn't. He has me on ignore ???
But have your YouTube on subscribed and notify ?

I appreciate all the feedback. Took me a whole day to get over being bummed about it. I enjoy the learning though, so it will be fun to keep tinkering around with it. Especially when I receive my new big rock - whenever that dang thing ships. ?

But have your YouTube on subscribed and notify ?

I appreciate all the feedback. Took me a whole day to get over being bummed about it. I enjoy the learning though, so it will be fun to keep tinkering around with it. Especially when I receive my new big rock - whenever that dang thing ships. ?
I was referring to JonDilly, lol.

I was referring to JonDilly, lol.
I pulled the motor and the rig rolls freely. I’m going to put in the 21t and wait for the weather to cool down a bit before running again. Maybe fans will be here by then. Fingers crossed no irreversible damage occurred.

Try changing those batteries. I ran powerhobby and all my electronics were running super hot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back