Kraton Extremely stiff front end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyLocal

Reaction score
Sorry ahead of time for this long post, but I’m lost.😞

I recently installed RPM front and rear upper/lower control arms FOR the V5 K6s (I initially purchased the earlier model a-arms and learned the hard way). While I was at it, I also topped off the shock oil and installed a new servo. The HR servo mount, bellcrank and servo saver upgrades were added earlier. I also topped off the diff oil and oiled the bearings in the front and rear steering blocks and hubs. I blue loctite any bolt that was going into metal. I insured I followed RPM’s install directions…
V5 & EXB models: Stock replacement A-arms for ARRMA #ARA330654. Inner shock mount and inner sway bar holes are stock geometry. Do not use outer shock mount and outer sway bar holes for V5 / EXB models.”

The rear seems ok, but the front is extremely stiff when physically moving the steering and the shocks and arms also seem very stiff when moving them up/down. I also had to fiddle around pretty bad in order to get the two front pin bolts through the front a-arms and screwed in.

Can anyone please look at the below pics and linked YT video and inform me if I’ve messed up anywhere? I’d greatly appreciate it.

F954E810-BC3D-4CE3-B87F-E09B1A87162A.jpeg
4545903C-62E1-40AD-A3EF-2ABE1BD2E917.jpeg
7D590DDB-088E-4B9E-B31D-8CEC5414D8C0.jpeg
2C5D30F7-E511-4570-B0D9-4D87D121B900.jpeg
BC05ACE8-6ABD-49D4-8419-0B4AEBB3D684.jpeg

Not sure why the plastic mount just above the front bumper won’t lay flush. I tried backing out the screws but it stays like this.
80E1227B-A7B7-4681-A584-531E8E17EA3D.jpeg

I forgot to also mention that there was a huge gap between the servo arm and bellcrank. I asked in a different thread and some suggested cutting and fitting a tube from previous servo mount leg. So I eye balled it, cut a small piece, added a washer/shim to each side and tightened the bolt. It seems to travel normally when not connected to a-arms.

E16F47CA-DABB-4A67-B7BE-3A35C75A9B95.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd start by disconnecting things one by one and to isolate exactly where the resistance is coming from. so many pivot points and points it's hard to determine which one(s) are the problem just by looking at pictures and video.
This is the correct approach. You've replaced and reassembled numerous moving pieces. Personally I'd start by removing the steering link attached to the wheel hub to make sure the big red screw holding the ball joint together isn't too tight (I've done that several times) and then start working your way down the steering linkage disconnecting things that are binding. Eventually you'll find the last link in the chain.

This is the correct approach. You've replaced and reassembled numerous moving pieces. Personally I'd start by removing the steering link attached to the wheel hub to make sure the big red screw holding the ball joint together isn't too tight (I've done that several times) and then start working your way down the steering linkage disconnecting things that are binding. Eventually you'll find the last link in the chain.
Very thorough and well explained! I’ll follow your advice and start at the ball joint. Funny you mentioned the big red screws cause when I put it back together, I snugged them right up and wondered why the ball no longer rolls. 😂 I’ve since backed them off quite a bit but there is still something holding the hubs from easily moving. I’ll keep looking and post an update.
The arms have at least the stock ones have droop screws they limit the suspension travel downward
Ah yes, I think I may have them a bit to lose. I’ll snug them up a bit (or loosen for to much travel). 🤷🏽‍♂️

You also mentioned having a hard time getting those top hinge pins in, They should have slid right in with little to no resistance so you may have to disassemble the entire front end (or most of it) to find out why those pins gave difficulty.

If you disconnect the shocks and make the truck sit on a flat table does the steering become smooth again?
Found ur issue ur top A arms are backwards
Maybe rpm did it differently but stock the top a arms have a pointy side in the middle who points up when installed
If u put that backwards it could surely create binding

Hard to say but something looks waaay off with that pillar ball retainer in the video. Why does it stick out so much? None of mine look like that. They all sit flush. Backwards bushing behind it??
Are these what you’re referring to as sticking out to far?
BA713D22-6A83-454C-BC4D-EFAB9FD6353D.jpeg

If you disconnect the shocks and make the truck sit on a flat table does the steering become smooth again?
Found ur issue ur top A arms are backwards
Maybe rpm did it differently but stock the top a arms have a pointy side in the middle who points up when installed
If u put that backwards it could surely create binding
Ugh, really? I guess I watch the wrong person installing them on YT then, or I was watching the vid upside down. That’s probably it then. I’ll flip them and see if all seems better. Thank you so much!

Imagine this angle but in the opposite way thats what a backward arm would do
C3187AAF-787F-46EE-96F1-E8C2D8B87512.jpeg

The pivot balls should have a slight angle towards the rear of the truck like an /
I believe ur truck is trying to force it like this \

Imagine this angle but in the opposite way thats what a backward arm would doView attachment 269141
The vivot balls should have a slight angle towards the rear of the truck like an /
I believe ur truck is trying to force it like this \
Makes sense! So this could all be due to the upper a-arms being installed backwards? I’m hoping that’s all it is.

Makes sense! So this could all be due to the upper a-arms being installed backwards? I’m hoping that’s all it is.
Yeah reverse them put the left in the right and right to the left make sure the pointy side is facing the cealing
D294BC2F-9009-4702-B9C3-5DE8D35B1404.jpeg

100E551A-8475-4DA4-95F3-A99DC0BCCE8A.jpeg

The more i look at that rpm the more i feel like that is the issue. The curvy side should be pointing the rear of the truck not the front
Theres something massively wrong here
I think you just reversed them by accident. If its not that i have no idea what it could be

Last edited:
Yeah reverse them put the left in the right and right to the left make sure the pointy side is facing the cealing
View attachment 269143
View attachment 269144
The more i look at that rpm the more i feel like that is the issue. The curvy side should be pointing the rear of the truck not the front
Theres something massively wrong here
I think you just reversed them by accident. If its not that i have no idea what it could be
I’m a little confused. As I currently have them, the one on the passenger side has an ‘R’ on it and the driver has an ‘L’. If I swap the two, won’t they be backwards?

I’m a little confused. As I currently have them, the one on the passenger side has an ‘R’ on it and the driver has an ‘L’. If I swap the two, won’t they be backwards?
Won’t the upper a-arms be backwards if I move the left to right and right to left???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back