Kraton EZRun 4985 failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugthing

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
hi all 👋

Recently fitted a ezrun motor and esc. After a few blasts the motor started to act up and vibrate alot and eventually stopped working.
I opened the motor up and discovered the rear bearing had fallen to bits, the motor is also well dirty inside.

I think I can replace the bearing but I wonder about all the crap in the motor.. i can probably try to clean it up but it probably wont be clean as new..

Do you think I should bother or get a new motor?

Do motors get dirty inside or is this faulty?.. I thought they where sealed

I got the motor from AliExpress so I guess it could a fake but it looks pretty real to me 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for any advice/opinion you can offer

tar,
-bn

PXL_20210410_103843444.jpg

Hi @bugthing
Take the top cap off as well, replace both bearings, and clean the rotor and inside of the can with quick drying electrical parts cleaner. The cover on the rotor looks fairly intact, so I'm sure there's still lots of life in it. Dirt gets in through the top bearing, so you need to crack it open a little more often if you run in muddy, dusty or wet areas. Not sure about bearing sizes for that motor, but I'm sure its available somewhere here on the forum.

hi all 👋

Recently fitted a ezrun motor and esc. After a few blasts the motor started to act up and vibrate alot and eventually stopped working.
I opened the motor up and discovered the rear bearing had fallen to bits, the motor is also well dirty inside.

I think I can replace the bearing but I wonder about all the crap in the motor.. i can probably try to clean it up but it probably wont be clean as new..

Do you think I should bother or get a new motor?

Do motors get dirty inside or is this faulty?.. I thought they where sealed

I got the motor from AliExpress so I guess it could a fake but it looks pretty real to me 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for any advice/opinion you can offer

tar,
-bn

View attachment 138620

You have directional marks on that rotor which tells me its ground on the stator windings with the bearing failure OR marks from debris that got inside the can. Could it be fixed with new parts? Yes but It might not be as efficient any more. Also, debris and winding scrape could have damaged the Kevlar wrap (if that rotor has one, hard to see through the marks in that pic) $65-70 bucks more and you could have a brand new motor.

Those are "possibly could" ^^ examples. For me, less brain damage and piece of mind going brand new would be my route.

Hi @bugthing
Take the top cap off as well, replace both bearings, and clean the rotor and inside of the can with quick drying electrical parts cleaner. The cover on the rotor looks fairly intact, so I'm sure there's still lots of life in it. Dirt gets in through the top bearing, so you need to crack it open a little more often if you run in muddy, dusty or wet areas. Not sure about bearing sizes for that motor, but I'm sure its available somewhere here on the forum.
I've always heard that motor is too small for the heavy 8s Arrmas. Even the Xmaxx is considered too heavy for it?

I had mine explode within first 5 packs. They say Japanese bearings which are really good but mine said made in Taiwan. I got a hold of hobbywing and they claim it was a knock off.... until I showed them it was purchased directly from them. Their response was we cant make sure the factory is using parts that it should be... never purchased from them again.

I had mine explode within first 5 packs. They say Japanese bearings which are really good but mine said made in Taiwan. I got a hold of hobbywing and they claim it was a knock off.... until I showed them it was purchased directly from them. Their response was we cant make sure the factory is using parts that it should be... never purchased from them again.
that is not good, i can not make out what my bearings say on them but sounds like I also got non-japan ones. I will go a different motor next time

that is not good, i can not make out what my bearings say on them but sounds like I also got non-japan ones. I will go a different motor next time
It's a good motor just get better bearings for it. I haven't seen 1 set yet that said Japan. Mostly Singapore,Taiwan and China. People seem to have better luck with the Singapore ones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back