Big Rock Factory diff. Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LudeNation

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
(Noob Question) Just bought a Big Rock v3 4x4 3S BLX & wanted to know what diff. fluid comes from the factory? Employee at my local hobby store said, "10k" front and rear.
What do yall use for diff. fluid?

20210511_154221.jpg

Arrma diffs are notorious for being low. They they come 10K front and rear for 3S.

I used Team Factory to top mine off

Well Im going to follow up with a load of related noob questions that I should really know the answers to, by now. I hope you don't mind, LudeNation ?
Firstly, is diff fluid just an oil you need to keep the diffs working well ? Secondly, how do you know if and when to top it up ? ie what symtoms does the truck show (or sound like) if it needs refilling ? And then thirdly, whats all the science about heavier weights in the front versus back and vice versa and whether you should use something different if you are mainly runing offorad and doing jumps than road running ?

(Noob Question) Just bought a Big Rock v3 4x4 3S BLX & wanted to know what diff. fluid comes from the factory? Employee at my local hobby store said, "10k" front and rear.
What do yall use for diff. fluid?

View attachment 145290

Well Im going to follow up with a load of related noob questions that I should really know the answers to, by now. I hope you don't mind, LudeNation ?
Firstly, is diff fluid just an oil you need to keep the diffs working well ? Secondly, how do you know if and when to top it up ? ie what symtoms does the truck show (or sound like) if it needs refilling ? And then thirdly, whats all the science about heavier weights in the front versus back and vice versa and whether you should use something different if you are mainly runing offorad and doing jumps than road running ?

I use 10k in both...been happy with it for bashing and using jump ramps and dirt hills... I may change up to get more power steering upfront based on the below on the next one when I change.

I change my diff oils per the manual schedule.
I check diff fluid on new RCs. Make sure they are to manual level. They will be fine until the next xx battery packs per the manual to change.
All my examples or what I shared is all for off-road...dirty, grass, etc...I do not do surface roads with the BR.

• The BR 3S diffs should have 10k fluid inside the diff cups
  • Example of using diff fluids: Want it to turn under power better without drifting, drop to 8k front and rear. If you want it to drift keep 10k upfront and 15-20k in back. A good middle-ground for handling is light in the rear and heavy in the front. You can enter corners under power, and when you punch out of the corner the thicker front fluid acts like power steering while the lighter rear diff lets one wheel spin faster than the other to prevent drift.
  • Per Jondilly1974 - 30k front works well. Helps. Helps to keep steering straighter under power. 10k rear

I went with 20k in the front and 10k in the rear in my senton when i recently drained my diffs. the amount of diff fluid in there was pitiful

Believe that is listed in your MANUAL😂 That's what it's for and can help with your noob questions lol
Thanks for the info..🤷‍♂️
Here's the general theory on diff weights.

View attachment 145363
Thank you!
Arrma diffs are notorious for being low. They they come 10K front and rear for 3S.

I used Team Factory to top mine off
Top off with 10k?
Good questions. I don't mind at all. Still new so, any help or suggestions from people who have been in the hobby is greatly appreciated!
(N.Q) Would these be a good place to start using Traxxas diff fluid in Arrmas? How many diffs could be filled with one of these bottles? If you could please post pictures or links if possible to a better product or pricing. Like I said before I'm still new and trying to learn.
Would like to test different ratings since I have a Big Rock, Granite & Senton.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-120015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-120015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm not sure that any one fluid is any better or worse than each other, if you already have a bunch of traxxas fluid i would definitely use that. otherwise there's no reason to use traxxas specifically, or no reason not to either as far as i know.

TLR makes a ton of different viscosities for diff oil and shock oil so I personally went with them but there are quite a few different brands.

I believe stock is 10k front and 10k back, I'm not sure how 100k would feel..

Thanks for the info..🤷‍♂️

Thank you!

Top off with 10k?

Good questions. I don't mind at all. Still new so, any help or suggestions from people who have been in the hobby is greatly appreciated!
(N.Q) Would these be a good place to start using Traxxas diff fluid in Arrmas? How many diffs could be filled with one of these bottles? If you could please post pictures or links if possible to a better product or pricing. Like I said before I'm still new and trying to learn.
Would like to test different ratings since I have a Big Rock, Granite & Senton.
I use 1up Racing silicone diff fluid. They are reasonably priced, readily available and ship fast. Never had a problem with them.

https://1upracing.com/product/mr33-silicon-diff-oil-1k-2m-cst-75ml/

I've got 50K in my front, 100K in the rear of my Granite. Still diffs out a bit (spinning/ballooning one tire). It does standing backflips all damned day now, though, even after moving from a 15T pinion to a 18T.

Stock weight is 10k front and rear. Heavier oil will reduce skidding/spinning when turning. But a little spinout can be desirable, it can help you turn your car faster. So it depends how you drive. If you are spinning out too much, use heavier oil. If the oil gets too heavy, it will become harder to turn quickly. Heavier oil up front will reduce skid going into turns. Heavier oil in rear reduces rear wheelspin coming out of turns. I like skidding and spinning, but on loose surfaces it was too much. 20k front and rear has made a significant difference. I can still skid and spin when I want to, but it's much more controllable now.

Last edited:
I went with 20k in the front and 10k in the rear in my senton when i recently drained my diffs. the amount of diff fluid in there was pitiful

Describe your experience going from f/r 10/10 to 20/10 diff fuid....? Thx

I tried 20 front 10 rear in my Granite. I didn't notice a huge difference. But, then I also changed the rear to 20k. It reduced rear wheelspin and prevented the back end from sliding out too much. I have very worn tires, so the Granite was very touchy on loose surfaces like dirt. With 20/20 it handles much more controllably.

I tried 20 front 10 rear in my Granite. I didn't notice a huge difference. But, then I also changed the rear to 20k. It reduced rear wheelspin and prevented the back end from sliding out too much. I have very worn tires, so the Granite was very touchy on loose surfaces like dirt. With 20/20 it handles much more controllably.

Thx Boss

This is good feedback what I was looking for more control...but I do like how the power spin of the tires. I had a spare RX with AVC and I put it in the Big Rock.....goal was just to test and try. It's cheating but I found with the stock 10/10 diff oil and the right settings on the DX5C for AVC in dirt no I can stay own power and it now more controllable to head in the direction I want. Now I got hooked and it was just a test. Where my buddies and losing control in 180s or 360s I am already down the dirt field.

If I take it out, I may try your route the RX was just a spare sitting around maybe I have a reason to use it for something else :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back