Fade to white spray can painting trick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Pat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to share a trick I did, when painting a Typhon body with Tamiya spray cans. The thing is most of the fade painting is done within the confinement of a dark color and that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to fade from purple to pink to pearl white (main color), without leaving any masking tape marks. I did mask the whole body to prevent the overspray of purple and pink, which would have ruin the pearl white, but I overlayed cotton balls on the masking tape to prevent the overspray from reaching the tape. I assume the paint has a static charge, is then attracted to the cotton ball and that naturally causes the paint to fade completely under them.
To help understand, here are some pictures:

And here is the final result:

I don't know about you, but I think it's beautiful and I sure hope my little niece thinks the same :)

It would be nice to see someone (not me) paint a "cloud" body or a "fade camo" body, with this technique (using cotton balls everywhere).

Lastly, is it me or am I seeing a fish/bird from the overhead view (the side windows acting as fins/wings) ?

....again thanks for the tip and you did an awesome job. I plan t do my first plain job soon and if it turns out only half as good as yours I will be happy.....well done

Alaways amazing to see what people can do with a can of paint, this is stunning you did an amazing job I'd stand back and be super proud! :D

Duuuude, that turned out pretty sweet! I might have to do something like this for my daughter.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to share a trick I did, when painting a Typhon body with Tamiya spray cans. The thing is most of the fade painting is done within the confinement of a dark color and that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to fade from purple to pink to pearl white (main color), without leaving any masking tape marks. I did mask the whole body to prevent the overspray of purple and pink, which would have ruin the pearl white, but I overlayed cotton balls on the masking tape to prevent the overspray from reaching the tape. I assume the paint has a static charge, is then attracted to the cotton ball and that naturally causes the paint to fade completely under them.
To help understand, here are some pictures:
View attachment 30673View attachment 30670View attachment 30672
And here is the final result:
View attachment 30674View attachment 30675View attachment 30676View attachment 30677
I don't know about you, but I think it's beautiful and I sure hope my little niece thinks the same :)

It would be nice to see someone (not me) paint a "cloud" body or a "fade camo" body, with this technique (using cotton balls everywhere).

Lastly, is it me or am I seeing a fish/bird from the overhead view (the side windows acting as fins/wings) ?
Cotton batting that you get from a fabric store (the kind used to stuff quilts) works better for "cloud" effects when spraying paint. It's flatter, and you can pull on it to stretch it out to the desired thickness. You can also do webs & other effects. They're is a whole laundry list of regular materials that I use for texture fx. Nice work on the body, I'm sure she'll love it! ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back