FAILED 3D Prints : Let's see what you've got.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Tons of them..
From trying out different slicer settings (wanting to print "faster.." ; to a variety of orientations of the part(S) attempting to achieve a "better" surface finish.. ; to just changing filament color... Prints can & will fail unexpectedly..

So, I'll go first..
Started this print last night.. thinking it's completed over 25% already , everything looked good, should be fine.. Went to bed ,I was tired....

Woke up to this wonderfulness! >>

View attachment 288248

View attachment 288249

View attachment 288250

View attachment 288251

View attachment 288252

mortal kombat fatality GIF

mortal kombat headache GIF

It was printing vertically , going up on its side beautifully..
First layer was perfect.
Tree supports had brims too ,for extra stability.
¹)What slicer are you using?
²)Find profiles from the community like CHEP on YT.

¹)What slicer are you using?
²)Find profiles from the community like CHEP on YT.

I'm using Cura 5.1.1 for my Ender Extender 400XL (Will likely upgrade it soon as I get comfortable with the latest version..)

And Cura 5.3.0 for the Ender3 S1

I've Never used anybody else profiles before... Always just slugged it out on my own..

But I may finally venture out and try out other folks' settings/profiles now that I have another working printer , so if anything goes wrong I'm not totally SOL.

I'm using Cura 5.1.1 for my Ender Extender 400XL (Will likely upgrade it soon as I get comfortable with the latest version..)

I've Never used anybody else profiles before... Always just slugged it out on my own..

But I may finally venture out and try out other folks' settings/profiles now that I have another working printer , so if anything goes wrong I'm not totally SOL.
I’d recommend starting others setups on small prints With high vertical surface area, but lower top/bottom surface. Small prints because a lot won’t work for your machine, due to them being just a bit different.

As I am sure you know already. I don’t waste time with others profiles anymore. I find it’s a different profile sometimes in extreme ways all depending on the type of thing you are trying to print and even from one brand name to the next. I usually just keep a profile for each individual brand and color. Usually from color to color it’s just a slight temp difference. But I would rather dial in my own settings from the generic part of the cura app and refine it myself.

As I am sure you know already. I don’t waste time with others profiles anymore. I find it’s a different profile sometimes in extreme ways all depending on the type of thing you are trying to print and even from one brand name to the next. I usually just keep a profile for each individual brand and color. Usually from color to color it’s just a slight temp difference. But I would rather dial in my own settings from the generic part of the cura app and refine it myself.
That’s awesome. I’d love to get that good at all this. I’m trying! I don’t know enough about the setting to do it completely alone, but I do know how to try lots of things and pick what works!

Well ,that didn't go well..
Thought I had enough Hold Down Tabs (3X) on each side..

IMG_20230328_111951123.jpg

Bed separation in one side...
IMG_20230328_112156034.jpg

IMG_20230328_112310791.jpg

IMG_20230328_112421115_HDR.jpg

Wasted.

Guess I need BIGGER tabs!

Last edited:
Tabs stuck real well😉

Yeah they did..
Just had to fiddle with the settings..
Each Part is different , That's for sure!

Do you know which of his cars it’s for?

He said it was designed for his FC100 body.. (which I'm sure is modified.)
That's all I know so far.

I haven't visited his shop -yet- to see for sure.
He could be "just saying" to throw people off...
In case anyone is spying 🙈🙊🤣🤷

He makes So Many Custom stuffs ,it's hard to know what's really cooking at his place..

Yeah they did..
Just had to fiddle with the settings..
Each Part is different , That's for sure!

He said it was designed for his FC100 body.. (which I'm sure is modified.)
That's all I know so far.

I haven't visited his shop -yet- to see for sure.
He could be "just saying" to throw people off...
In case anyone is spying 🙈🙊🤣🤷

He makes So Many Custom stuffs ,it's hard to know what's really cooking at his place..
Yes, that’s all true. I think there’s a thread on him modifying the body, we talked about how he was going to mount the wing. Glad to hear you’re the one to make it. That shop sounds amazing.

That's too good!!!

I came here to see failure's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As You wish.... 😰

IMG_20230329_213617787_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230329_213607771_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230329_213614715_HDR.jpg

Pissed me off!

4 hour print job-
First layer went down fine ,as expected.....
I left to do something else.. came back around 2.5 hours later to find this crap..

The solid twisted looking 'branch' was actually completely knocked off the build plate..

The only thing I can think of is that that metal fan shroud must have just caught a part of the little parts it was printing and dragged/knocked it off the plate.. then started to get all twisted up onto itself and got stuck under the print head..
Wasted most of the remaining nice blue filament I had left..

(I wanted to strangle something. Like a bear. No ,more like Vader force choking Jar Jar.)
Frustrating!

Last edited:
As You wish.... 😰

View attachment 289213

View attachment 289214

View attachment 289215

Pissed me off!

4 hour print job-
First layer went down fine ,as expected.....
I left to do something else.. came back around 2.5 hours later to find this crap..

The solid twisted looking 'branch' was actually completely knocked off the build plate..

The only thing I can think of is that that metal fan shroud must have just caught a part of the little parts it was printing and dragged/knocked it off the plate.. then started to get all twisted up onto itself and got stuck under the print head..
Wasted most of the remaining nice blue filament I had left..

(I wanted to strangle something. Like a bear. No ,more like Vader force choking Jar Jar.)
Frustrating!
12868646.gif

So I'm seeing a theme of printers misbehaving only after walking away. Should I be making some sort of full size @Tex Koder stuffy to watch the printer to keep it in line?

Back