Fan for soldering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erstadw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
I'm starting to learn to solder and trying to find a way to clear the fumes. I have seen some people on YouTube using soldering fans or fume extractors. Do they really work? I have seen prices 25 dollars and up. Any ones out there you guys would recommend?

Thanks

This is a strange coincidence. I just finished soldering some wires and then read your post. If you have a 12 volt computer fan in your parts junk pile and a 12 volt power supply then you're good to go. The fan appears to be huge in the photo but it's only 6x6 inches.

fan 12v.jpg

Short of doing a dedicated John Holmes ducted exhaust setup using Dryer exhaust ducts and a fan to the outside, an open window and a Dollar Store fan is fine. Sucking the fumes away from the soldering piece. If you smell it then you are doing something wrong and breathing it.
Make sure you don't buy Lead solder. Silver solder is safest. At least if you are new to soldering. Lead solder can be hard to find anyway these days. Probably more so in Cali. I find Lead solder is easier to work with sometimes. I learned with lead solder anyway. But not a biggy. I don't have to tell you that Lead is very toxic. And bad for children especially. The flux in all types of solder is also toxic.

Last edited:
This is what I got fron my lhs. Both say they contain lead. Suppose I should start wearing gloves when I solder? I do say this 60/40 solder and flux works way better than the oatey 40/60 solder. I wasnt using flux with the oatey stuff though. Thought the package said it wasnt needed.

Attachments

• 20190813_194346.jpg
    20190813_194346.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190813_194336.jpg
    20190813_194336.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 47
Lead sticks to the pores of your skin. Does not wash away. Much like shooting and handling firearms. Gloves are fine in that event. No problem.
But where does it say it is lead based solder on the label?
Don't go crazy with the flux. Even though it says non corrosive, it is to some degree if over used and will actually corrode the wire strands. The Miniatronics solder says "Rosin core". So there is flux in it already.
You wont need the flux most of the time. As your skills develope there is a purpose for it. Good to have around. I have flux. But when I use it, its done so sparingly. I wipe off excess if any. If you can see leftover flux after soldering, then you used way too much.

Last edited:
doesn't say lead based. Just says contains lead. Didnt know rosin core meant it has flux in it. (y) and when I put on flux, I just single dip the wire or connector in it.

doesn't say lead based. Just says contains lead. Didnt know rosin core meant it has flux in it. (y)
Please don't take just my word for it. Just do some research. I've been doing this for so long, I don't even think much about it. That's how bad habits start. Soldering is fun though and rewarding, when you don't have to depend on a LHS or someone to do it for you.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A65ED8B7DA80A2D7AD29A65ED8B7DA80&&FORM=VRDGARhttps://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9A65ED8B7DA80A2D7AD29A65ED8B7DA80&FORM=VDRVRV

John Holmes is so anal about soldering among other things. Check him out.

Last edited:
doesn't say lead based. Just says contains lead. Didnt know rosin core meant it has flux in it. (y) and when I put on flux, I just single dip the wire or connector in it.
I generally don't dip the wire or connector into the flux. I use a fine brush or similar and dip that into the flux. But trust me all you need is a tiny amount. The amount of flux you have there should last you 20 years or more. I have flux from that long ago. And the solder has flux already inside the core. You can skip that if you choose to. Check out the two videos...

There are so many great videos. Best to find one that you like the best and re-watch it a few times before you start yourself. Preparation and your table where you do this is key. Setup everything. You should not be reaching for anything once you start to solder. Its a quick but uninterrupted process done correctly. Just some tips.
Don't get burned.(y) You want nice and shiny solder joints. Not dull(cold) joints. Tug on your joints when they cool down. Bad cold joints will separate and break. Wear glasses.
I would first practice with some old scrap wire and connectors lying around. To get the feel of the solder and how it flows. Or just try soldering two wires together. Have heatshrink tubing in place if you are using it.

Last edited:
I generally have a fan going in my shed usually and I tend not to worry about the fumes. I suspect walking down a busy street and sucking in the car fumes would be way worse but it never hurts to take precautions. Personally, I do go for the lead-based solder as it is much easier to work with and does a better job, you also don't need as much heat and usually get it right first time more often.

I have a small Honeywell fan that is adjustable.

I set it up to blow just above the work area and has worked great to keep the fumes away from me.
Regarding flux I use a que-tip and apply it very sparingly. I chose this method since I can throw them away after a single use. (Flux is nasty sticky stuff)

I like these extraction setup ideas, but I am short on storage space for all my stuff in the garage as is.

I am sure you have already seen it in the videos but 2 big things to know. Proper soldering iron wattage helps allot. Weller is a big name in soldering irons, but certainly not the only name. Second thing is proper tinning and cleaning of the soldering tip is key to successful use of an iron.

-Liberty

Last edited:
I had a few old inline duct fans so I just run a piece of flex duct from where I'm working to the fan then another from the fan out my window.

A cheap inline fan, some 4" flex duct, A HVAC register box and some tape and you're good to go making your own hood system. You can also take the window vent piece from a portable AC if you don't want just a duct hanging out the window. A cheap set up would be....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hydro-C...ndoor-Garden-Ventilation-D940002800/302930018

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-x-8-ft-Flexible-Dryer-Vent-Duct-BTD48HD/203626496

https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-in-x-4-in-to-4-in-Universal-Register-Box-RB10X4X4/100168213

I have a small Honeywell fan that is adjustable.

View attachment 45564

I set it up to blow just above the work area and has worked great to keep the fumes away from me.
Regarding flux I use a que-tip and apply it very sparingly. I chose this method since I can throw them away after a single use. (Flux is nasty sticky stuff)

I like these extraction setup ideas, but I am short on storage space for all my stuff in the garage as is.

I am sure you have already seen it in the videos but 2 big things to know. Proper soldering iron wattage helps allot. Weller is a big name in soldering irons, but certainly not the only name. Second thing is proper tinning and cleaning of the soldering tip is key to successful use of an iron.

-Liberty
I have that same fan. I just cleaned it out yesterday. I haven’t used it for soldering tho

You guys are throwing out a lot of good tips, Thank you. Think I'm gonna try soldering a xt90 on my xlx esc tonight. Last time I tried I over heated the connector and melted it. I have now learned I was not using the proper technique. I have a hakko fx-888d which is listed at 70w. Is that enough wattage? Seems to be working decent so far. Where does more wattage help? Higher temps or faster temp recovery or both?

You guys are throwing out a lot of good tips, Thank you. Think I'm gonna try soldering a xt90 on my xlx esc tonight. Last time I tried I over heated the connector and melted it. I have now learned I was not using the proper technique. I have a hakko fx-888d which is listed at 70w. Is that enough wattage? Seems to be working decent so far. Where does more wattage help? Higher temps or faster temp recovery or both?

With 70 watts you could probably go lead free, but if you're just learning it's best to stick with 60/40, just make sure it's rosin core. Lead free is a bit of a pain. Higher watts help with both, putting out higher temps means it can recover faster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back