Faster in reverse meltdown!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakerharley

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I just bought my first Arrma Typhon 3s and glad I made the brand my choice! It functions flawlessly and is a blast! My question revolves around my Associated TC3 I'm reviving. I purchased a Spektrum ESC and motor combo. I also got a RC6GS v2 to control it. My problem is reverse is faster no matter what I do. Plus reverse is forward trigger on the radio and forward is reverse trigger. If I reverse the setting on the radio the motor still goes faster in reverse. I have read every solution and tried them all but it's like it's possessed. Switched the motor wires, reversed setting through radio, and all other suggestions. I have watched many videos and read as much about it and tried them all but still stumped. . It doesn't make "any" difference when the wires are switched which baffles me. I'm old school mechanical and brushed and am trying to obsorb as much about this new RC technology but I need experienced help with this issue.
Thanks in advance!!!

sounds like you need to change the motor direction by programming the ESC and calibrating it by following the steps outlined in the manual of the ESC. i am familiar with what you are dealing with but am not experienced with Spektrum electronics. someone else will chime in i'm sure. good luck it will get sorted out and you'll be rolling again

sounds like you need to change the motor direction by programming the ESC and calibrating it by following the steps outlined in the manual of the ESC. i am familiar with what you are dealing with but am not experienced with Spektrum electronics. someone else will chime in i'm sure. good luck it will get sorted out and you'll be rolling again

Have you tried the above mentioned?.. This is where I would point you as well ...there would be something very wrong with that combo if you switched the direction in the firmware and it still didn't work..

Just swap it to which ever one it's not on now.. ccw or cw..

Many Hobbywing ESCs don't have a reverse option in the programming options. But if you swap 2 wires (and reverse the throttle on the radio if needed), you should be good. I'm pretty sure you just missed the right combination...

Many Hobbywing ESCs don't have a reverse option in the programming options. But if you swap 2 wires (and reverse the throttle on the radio if needed), you should be good. I'm pretty sure you just missed the right combination...
This is wrong. Almost all ESCs have a motor direction/reverse option. Very few do not have the option. Might need a programming card for that particular ESC, but the option is there. Some do not have the reverse option while trying to program thru the set button which is why the programming card would be needed in that case.

What ESC is on the Associated rig?

20220122_032628.jpg

Ok, SOME don't 🙄
It does have reverse in the radio menu under step 12 channel 2. I have changed this and it will swap the trigger to the correct operation of ...pull trigger back and go forward ...push trigger away and it goes backwards...BUT...it still is faster in reverse. That's why I say it possessed. The trigger works correctly but the overall operation of reverse still being faster and the feeling of it going into breaking mode when going from reverse to forward tells me that even though the trigger function is correct the problem remains the same. I hope I'm explaining this good enough. ..... in either radio mode ... throttle reverse (which the radio functions correctly) ..or...throttle normal (radio trigger functions as if going forward and should be rolling reverse) ... the reverse speed is always faster either way. I've done the binding and calibration over and over but still same results. I need a Spektrum engineer to visit me😳

It does have reverse in the radio menu under step 12 channel 2. I have changed this and it will swap the trigger to the correct operation of ...pull trigger back and go forward ...push trigger away and it goes backwards...BUT...it still is faster in reverse. That's why I say it possessed. The trigger works correctly but the overall operation of reverse still being faster and the feeling of it going into breaking mode when going from reverse to forward tells me that even though the trigger function is correct the problem remains the same. I hope I'm explaining this good enough. ..... in either radio mode ... throttle reverse (which the radio functions correctly) ..or...throttle normal (radio trigger functions as if going forward and should be rolling reverse) ... the reverse speed is always faster either way. I've done the binding and calibration over and over but still same results. I need a Spektrum engineer to visit me😳
You have to change the motor direction in the ESC programming. Then you might have to change the reverse function in the transmitter again. Motor rotation is item #5 in the ESC programming menu. Can either program with the set button or buy the program card for the Firma 85a ESC.

You have to change the motor direction in the ESC programming. Then you might have to change the reverse function in the transmitter again. Motor rotation is item #5 in the ESC programming menu. Can either program with the set button or buy the program card for the Firma 85a ESC.
Yes just what @Kla912000 said

I would like to thank you all for all the advise. You are correct I was not paying enough attention to the ESC programming and was concentrating on the RC6GS v2 which to me is pretty intimidating considering I'm use to old Futatba radios with crystals (which I still own). The rotation on the ESC needed to be set to clockwise and the radio to NOR not REV. Thanks again and glad this forum exist!👍👊 New ride below😁

20220122_100923.jpg

If the the correct motor rotation has been verified, you may need to recalibrate the ESC with the Radio Thr. endpoints.

Also, some motors have mechanical timing. Start with neutral timing. And depending how it is set, CW or CCW, your motor may end up slower in Forward. Depends on the motor of course. Usually Sensored motors are this way though. The above may not apply to you specifically.
Your setup is just wrong. Nothing is broken or defective. IMHO.

If the the correct motor rotation has been verified, you may need to recalibrate the ESC with the Radio Thr. endpoints.

Also, some motors have mechanical timing. Start with neutral timing. And depending how it is set, CW or CCW, your motor may end up slower in Forward. Depends on the motor of course. Usually Sensored motors are this way though. The above may not apply to you specifically.
Your setup is just wrong. Nothing is broken or defective. IMHO.
I finally figured out the ESC programming thanks to good advise from this forum. Now mentioning about setting timing sounds even more intimidating. With the car on my stand it is now faster in forward than reverse just by sound. Since I've progressed a little now I am a little leary about messing with timing.

You are referring to the ESC timing setting. I like to start at zero or its lowest setting. Runs cooler always. Def. check what the Default setting is for reference.
I am very conservative with my timing. Having played with this setting much over the years. Motors last quite longer. Shooting too high with timing, at some point there is no performance advantage. A limit to what the motor runs best at. Just way too much heat results, only, after its performance limit.. Depends on the specific motor in hand. Some can handle more timing than others. It's all trial and error for the most part, with a Temp gun in hand.
My spin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back