Fazon Fastest brushed motor upgrade to stock Fazon voltage and still use Lipo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RL256

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Voltage
Hey guys. I got my two sons Fazon voltages for Christmas. One green, one blue. They love them. I loved them so much that I wanted an rc too so we could all bash together. My local hobby shop didn’t have any voltages, so I picked me up a Traxxas rustler 2wd. It’s the brushed version with a titan 12t motor. It’s a bit faster than my kids voltages. So my question is: What is the best motor upgrade for the Fazon voltage that keeps everything stock, but can also keep up better with my Rustler? I’d also like to keep using the Lipo batteries since I bought and additional 12 of them and a charger. Is this possible? I was looking at the arrma mega 15t. Would it keep up with the titan? I read about someone putting a titan 12t in a voltage, but it seemed to cause issues. What do you guys think? Eventually we will all go brushless, but these are all of our first rc’s and we need more drive time before that happens, lol. I already smashed mine into a mailbox full speed and am waiting on my new aluminum caster blocks to get here??

You could always get a bigger pinion gear to get a lil extra speed out of the stock motor. Bigger pinion is good for top speed runs not so much for offroad imo

Pinion change is all you need. Forget the motor stuff for now. Baby steps.;)

I don't think you can still get the mega 15t, it's an old motor that is not currently produce I think.

I would try the 550 Mega 12t, it would be super strong but you might run into esc heating issues (depending on how hard you drive), it's the same motor spec as the Rustler.

What pitch are your gears and what is in there now?
If it's .8 mod or 32 pinion go up 2-3 teeth on the pinion. Over gear and you over heat. I don't have your rig. This is a general rule.Only you can determine what is best and doesn't get too hot with motor temps over 160F at any given ambient.

Last edited:
What pitch are your gears and what is in there now?
If it's .8 mod or 32 pinion go up 2-3 teeth on the pinion. Over gear and you over heat. I don't have your rig. This is a general rule.Only you can determine what is best and doesn't get too hot with motor temps over 160F at any given ambient.

There are only 3 pinion choices 16t 19t 25t all fixed mount holes and the spur is a 48p spur. Stock motor is a 540 20t brushed motor. The 25t pinion will probably burn the 20t motor up. The esc is a 40amp esc so it might handle a 15t 540 motor with the stock 19t pinion.

I don't think you can still get the mega 15t, it's an old motor that is not currently produce I think.

I would try the 550 Mega 12t, it would be super strong but you might run into esc heating issues (depending on how hard you drive), it's the same motor spec as the Rustler.
This is what I was looking at https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR390031

Oh, so you can still get it, i was wrong.
Anyway, instead of replacing the motor, you can have the same effect by changing the pinion to a bigger one, i would try that first.

The Fazon voltage has this 19T 48P pinion stock.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310770k.
The manual doesn't state anywhere about optional pinion sizes.
@Cheapbastard stated 16T, 19T and 25T are the only options because of the unique Motor mount meshing design.
I don't see optional 16T or 25T pinons in the Fazon parts list, but these are standard 48 pitch pinions. I would locate any brand 25T pinion to fit your current stock motor. I did find this:
https://www.hobbytown.com/arrma-ar310374-pinion-gear-48p-25t-ara310374/p661192

Going with a Holmes Hobbies 12T for instance, you would probably be best with the smaller 16T pinion.
If you change to any hotter wind motor, like a 12 or 14 turn motor, you will have to gear down to a 16T pinion. You almost always gear down when you install a hotter wind motor so your ESC and battery can handle higher Amp draw that a hot wind will draw. Stock ESC can only handle 40 Amps. Gearing down minimizes motor Amp load.
FYI, your run times will be less with higher gearing (25T pinion) using the stock motor.
@RL256 have you considered an optional 4500mah or similar Lipo (48mm x141mm x26mm) to replace the Lion batts?
Good luck.:)

Attachments

• Fazon Voltage Battery.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thank you for all that info!
@Cheapbastard stated 16T, 19T and 25T are the only options because of the unique Motor mount meshing design.
I don't see optional 16T or 25T pinons in the Fazon parts list, but these are standard 48 pitch pinions. I would locate any brand 25T pinion to fit your current stock motor. I did find this:

Going with a Holmes Hobbies 12T for instance, you would probably be best with the smaller 16T pinion.
If you change to any hotter wind motor, like a 12 or 14 turn motor, you will have to gear down to a 16T pinion. You almost always gear down when you install a hotter wind motor so your ESC and battery can handle higher Amp draw that a hot wind will draw. Stock ESC can only handle 40 Amps. Gearing down minimizes motor Amp load.
FYI, your run times will be less with higher gearing (25T pinion) using the stock motor.
@RL256 have you considered an optional 4500mah or similar Lipo (48mm x141mm x26mm) to replace the Lion batts?

I have ran a 2s LiPo in their trucks and they ran great! I’ll probably get a couple more just for their cars too.

I have ran a 2s LiPo in their trucks and they ran great! I’ll probably get a couple more just for their cars too.
Will this fit? And I’ll got with a 12t motor. 550 or 540?

Last edited:
Will this fit? And I’ll got with a 12t motor. 550 or 540?

The stock Li-on only have a small amount of current (amp) delivering capability and only when used together (all 6) would be able to handle a hotter motor. I would highly suggest running 2s lipos not only for better performance but better current delivering capability (better for when and if you go brushless also). Even 60a escs are really only rated down to a 12t 550 or 15t 540 motor and the stock esc is only a 40a esc. I have an idea if you're willing to try. Take your motor out of your Rustler (12t Titan 550) and try it in one of your Voltages and see how it runs. I believe the stock brushed Rustler even comes with a 48p 16t pinion.

I got my Fazon as a brand new roller only missing the esc. I put the XL5 esc and 12t Titan in my Fazon with Granite tires running 2s lipo and the motor did get hot. It ran fine but thought it would be faster. I ended up going brushless like I do in just about everything. But the speed may be fine for you and your boys.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I got my two sons Fazon voltages for Christmas. One green, one blue. They love them. I loved them so much that I wanted an rc too so we could all bash together. My local hobby shop didn’t have any voltages, so I picked me up a Traxxas rustler 2wd. It’s the brushed version with a titan 12t motor. It’s a bit faster than my kids voltages. So my question is: What is the best motor upgrade for the Fazon voltage that keeps everything stock, but can also keep up better with my Rustler? I’d also like to keep using the Lipo batteries since I bought and additional 12 of them and a charger. Is this possible? I was looking at the arrma mega 15t. Would it keep up with the titan? I read about someone putting a titan 12t in a voltage, but it seemed to cause issues. What do you guys think? Eventually we will all go brushless, but these are all of our first rc’s and we need more drive time before that happens, lol. I already smashed mine into a mailbox full speed and am waiting on my new aluminum caster blocks to get here??
Just put the mega 15t motor in mine with a 19t pinion. Blew my neighbors stock traxxas away . but for a 25 dollar up grade why not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back