Kraton Father and son basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyLocal

Reaction score
Hey Folks!
As some may know, I recently purchased my son a Big Rock for his 6th Birthday (many thanks to all you members who assisted with my questions). To say he loves it would be an understatement. However, I’d like to purchase another RC to bash with him. We aren’t looking for a speed demon, rather, we’d like something durable that could handle grass, dirt, sand and ramp landings. Most of our runs are at a local baseball field and I’m looking to build a ramp soon.

I’m leaning towards another Big Rock OR upping the game and getting a 4 or 6s. I love the looks of the Kraton (love the EXB but thinking more towards an RTR) and have also considered the Notorious and Outcast. Of the three, which provides a better handling on and off road, and also has stellar durability? I’d like to stay away from anything that has a higher roll over rate if possible. Budget is less than $600 and I already have batteries. Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

Last edited:
I have kraton 6s and notorious 6s and they are bolth great rigs notorious seems to be more durable! Under 500 ? im waiting for new 4s rigs i bet they are going to be awesome!!
Thanks! I meant $600 (fat-fingered). Anyone know if the body shells are interchangeable between the 6s models without much modifications?

I own a Vorteks and 6s Kraton, both of those trucks take a beating. My wife and 8yr old daughter drive both therefore those trucks live a rough life. If you have the room to run it, I’d go 6s and wouldn’t even consider the smaller trucks. They’re an entirely different animal. As far as body interchanging goes, I don’t know tbh, I do know that they have different wheelbases.

Great to hear that your son enjoyed the Bigrock! I would say to get the Notorious. It also depends on what you want to do.
Would the notorious handle and be more stable when sharp turning compared to the Kraton? Isn’t the Kraton a LWB and the Notorious a shorter WB? Are they both physically larger in size than the Big Rock 3s?

Would the notorious handle and be more stable when sharp turning compared to the Kraton? Isn’t the Kraton a LWB and the Notorious a shorter WB? Are they both physically larger in size than the Big Rock 3s?
The Kraton would be way more stable. Anything with a LWB will be. A SWB truck is made for doing tricks and flips. If that’s your thing, get one. Myself, I find SWB trucks annoying. All they do is wheelie with the slightest throttle input. I like to pop a wheelie when I want, not all the time.

Shorter WB --> less stability, more flips, wheelies etc. Some people like it, but some prefer having controll over their RC. It can be fun, but it can also be annoying. The Kraton is probably the best 'universal RC'.

Do not forget that the 6s line may need a lot of upgrades/repairs compared to the 3-4s lines.
I'd set aside another $100-200 for extra batts and a dual charger, and maybe another $200 for M2C stuff and other upgrades.

Yeah, this hobby can be expensive. I spent over €400 on upgrades for a 1:10 without realizing it.

I don't think you need to spend much in upgrades, if you go for the v5 kraton and not bash it unneccesary hard. If you want to jump it over a meter high i would putted in the aluminium braces and see how it goes, and how high you want to go before upgrading more.

So far it haven't been a issue but we haven't send it yet.

Cant speek much about k6s v5 since we just got it 3 days ago, but i would be very surprised if this beast would let us down.

The new A arms seems solid too. For me it looks like it handle 6s very well out of the box. Think i would add a motor fan to it.

(Monitor the motor/esc and Battery temp if the weather is hot offcorse) always monitor it no matter how the weather is a good advice until you learn to know it)
Truck have powerfull servo too considering it is a rtr truck.

With 6s batteries it is an ANIMAL it just scream out and it’s fast as a rocket!!

Extremly stabile, you have no issue to control it on gravel even in 50mph you can still take corners.

It handle different from the 1/10, they use to roll over lot more and feels much lighter vs 1/8 scale.

I have experience with 1/5 too and i must say the 1/8 is a good balance between 1/10 and 1/5 if you going to "only" own one 😊 Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I don't think you need to spend much in upgrades, if you go for the v5 kraton and not bash it unneccesary hard. If you want to jump it over a meter high i would putted in the aluminium braces and see how it goes, and how high you want to go before upgrading more.

So far it haven't been a issue but we haven't send it yet.

Cant speek much about k6s v5 since we just got it 3 days ago, but i would be very surprised if this beast would let us down.

The new A arms seems solid too. For me it looks like it handle 6s very well out of the box. Think i would add a motor fan to it.

(Monitor the motor/esc and Battery temp if the weather is hot offcorse) always monitor it no matter how the weather is a good advice until you learn to know it)
Truck have powerfull servo too considering it is a rtr truck.

With 6s batteries it is an ANIMAL it just scream out and it’s fast as a rocket!!

Extremly stabile, you have no issue to control it on gravel even in 50mph you can still take corners.

It handle different from the 1/10, they use to roll over lot more and feels much lighter vs 1/8 scale.

I have experience with 1/5 too and i must say the 1/8 is a good balance between 1/10 and 1/5 if you going to "only" own one 😊 Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for your Kraton advice. I’m heavily leaning towards it but still considering the Notorious (although, not wanting just a stunt truck), as well as the 6s Typhon. How does the typhon measure up to the V5 Kraton? I’m assuming in grass the Kraton would be more enjoyable??? Thanks again everyone!

Hey Folks!
As some may know, I recently purchased my son a Big Rock for his 6th Birthday (many thanks to all you members who assisted with my questions). To say he loves it would be an understatement. However, I’d like to purchase another RC to bash with him. We aren’t looking for a speed demon, rather, we’d like something durable that could handle grass, dirt, sand and ramp landings. Most of our runs are at a local baseball field and I’m looking to build a ramp soon.

I’m leaning towards another Big Rock OR upping the game and getting a 4 or 6s. I love the looks of the Kraton (love the EXB but thinking more towards an RTR) and have also considered the Notorious and Outcast. Of the three, which provides a better handling on and off road, and also has stellar durability? I’d like to stay away from anything that has a higher roll over rate if possible. Budget is less than $600 and I already have batteries. Many thanks for any and all suggestions.
Go for the RTR Notorious v5. I also bash with my son, but he is only 5 years old. Don't let that age fool you. I swear he is an expert basher already since he has been driving by himself for about a year now 🤣

Go for the RTR Notorious v5. I also bash with my son, but he is only 5 years old. Don't let that age fool you. I swear he is an expert basher already since he has been driving by himself for about a year now 🤣
The notorious looks like an amazing basher but seems more geared toward stunts over handling abilities.

I ended up purchasing the Kraton V5 RTR and eagerly awaiting its arrival. I was wondering, if later down the road I wanted to upgrade, will all the Kraton EXB parts be a direct bolt on? Basically, if I wanted to convert the RTR to EXB, is this a possibility?

Will the EXB body shell directly fit onto the V5 Kraton?

Hey Folks!

Go go Granite! A 3s Granite is just a tiny bundle of fun. Mine is virtually indestructible, and I've run it on 6s with almost all stock parts except for the esc.

Go go Granite! A 3s Granite is just a tiny bundle of fun. Mine is virtually indestructible, and I've run it on 6s with almost all stock parts except for the esc.
Was thinking of a Granite but since I got my son a Big Rock, I decided to go with a 6S Kraton. Fingers-crossed I made the right decision. :)
@Notorious J Your Typhon is SAAAWWWEET! Hoping, someday, my son and I can do similar mods to our BR and K6S!

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing the Kraton V5 RTR and eagerly awaiting its arrival. I was wondering, if later down the road I wanted to upgrade, will all the Kraton EXB parts be a direct bolt on? Basically, if I wanted to convert the RTR to EXB, is this a possibility?

Will the EXB body shell directly fit onto the V5 Kraton?
Go for the M2C stuff. Way better and more durable

I know I'm a day late but size reference
20210726_181413.jpg
brcc, noto v5, k6s v5
My kraton was pretty solid rtr. I did upgrade the servo to an Amazon 35kg, and the exb towers, braces, servo mount, front bumper. That was solid until I started on 15-20 foot hight 55-60 foot sends. I would highly recommend a metal servo mount and snap rings on the servo saver. Steering is junk on grass out of the box. Also make sure you shim the diffs straight out of the box. Will save you a lot of money and downtime in the long run.

i just got a v5 kraton like month a go and my son uses the granite or his stampede so im super happy with the kraton the handling is the real deal compared to the granite and the short wheel base which i imagine is similar to the an 6s outcast or notorious

My 3s rigs are converted to 4s and were tons of fun, but once I got a 6s they just sit collecting dust. I won't get rid of them because my girls have a Granite and like running the smaller rigs with them. 6s IMO are perfect! I said I would never own a 8s, but got one of those too. Fun, but almost too big!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back