Fazon Fazon brushless build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yonic

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Voltage
P1030503.jpg

Hello,

As a beginner in the RC hobby, one thing i was waiting for is making a brushless conversion, i thought it would be interesting to see the differents, and what would be the diffeculties.

I choose to convert the Voltage Fazon, as i think it is so well designed, but suffers from a weak motor, i thought that the chasis could handle much more power.

The parts i went for are:

BLX85 ESC, which i found for 45$
Racerstar 3650 3100kv motor, 19$ from banggood
JX PDI-6221MG 20KG servo, 12$, also from banggood
and a Tactic TTX300 which i found for sale for 40$

All in all 116$, on a car that sells now for 100$ :)

The installation went super easy, everything went smooth, except for the motor that didnt fit as the connectors are on the side of the motor, to make it fit i had to use the bigger (25t) pinion instead of the 19t.

And i must say - it drivers like a charm!, motor and esc run super cool on 2s, and it has plenty more power than before. top speed went a bit up, from 19mph to 28mph, and the thing is much quiter for some reason.

Now lets see how long will the diff outdrives will last, it lasted 3 5400mah packs up until now without issues.

While i’ve busted one outdrive cup before the conversion (my son was determined to try to wheelie by full throtelling from reverse...), i’ve had about 10 packs since the conversion by now (each more than 40min long) and i still haven't busted another one. I’m now much more aware of the limits of this platform, so i take care to avoid things like acelaratefrom reverse, or land on the throttle..

I treat those plastic outdrive as a type of a consumable clutch, and i’m fine with one busting out every few month, they are really cheap, so i stocked on a few.

This truck is the first hobby level truck I've ever even seen in real life. My son has been through every toy RC at the local stores so for his fifth birthday I got him this. He's already busted a differential on maybe his fourth or fifth run of Li-ion packs, stock. Got it last Thursday, sheared it yesterday. I'm not complaining, I got to take it apart and I'm teaching him some lessons in the meantime. We're learning.

This truck is the first hobby level truck I've ever even seen in real life. My son has been through every toy RC at the local stores so for his fifth birthday I got him this. He's already busted a differential on maybe his fourth or fifth run of Li-ion packs, stock. Got it last Thursday, sheared it yesterday. I'm not complaining, I got to take it apart and I'm teaching him some lessons in the meantime. We're learning.

He busted the diff? inside? or the diff cup?
to replace the diff cup you only need to remove one screw (and a wheel).

Do you have the granite or the fazon? i think that the bigger wheel of the granite is a much more strain on the drivetrain than on the Fazon with it’s smaller tires (and i also replaced them to a Proline Trenchers 2.2 T, which is even smaller than stock)

Sorry for the double reply, I'm unsure of how to delete the duplicate.

He sheared the outdrive off landing on concrete from a decently sized jump, probably full throttle.
15413590644582051849361.jpg

But it's a Granite. He really really likes it. But he's never had this level of power at his fingertips so things are bound to go wrong. As long as the 3-in-1 doesn't go out I'm cool with teaching him how to repair the truck.

Ouch. that shouldnt happen, the diff cup should have taken the damage instead.. but yeah, landing on the throttle will break stuff. This truck is easy to work on as long as you don't need to access the diff :)

Ha. Yeah, we're finding out. Even that isn't a big deal to me, maybe he as a five year old won't have that attention span. But he's pretty mechanically inclined, as am I. So maybe he'll get it.

That sounds like a fun build, I had just mentioned putting a BLX system in one of the Voltage models, I know it would work but yeah you have to be careful for sure the drivetrain wont handle the power.

Is it holding up?
Yes, very much so. Just yesterday I run it for two packs, one on 2s and one on 3s.

Frankly, on 3s it’s just too much, it handles beautifully, the problem is that with speed over 40mph, with rear wheel drive and no oil in the diff, stopping is... challenging.

On 2s it’s perfect, in terms of driving enjoyment, I rank it above my Senton 3s. It handles so much nicer. I think it’s because the weight is all centered, it leans less on the corners.

It’s the only rig I have (apart from my SCX10) that I broke nothing on, apart from the mentioned outdrive. Not sure why.

Wow, sounds like it's the perfect setup. I'm just getting back into RC and I have a few drones but my only car is a Redcat Volcano 4WD. I am running it on 2s LiPo's and it's plenty fast for me. I have been interested in the Voltage Fazon for the simplicity of 2WD (plus the price) and even though some seem to think that the Fazon won't handle BLS, I've always thought that it looked sturdy enough as long as you didn't go crazy with it!

Mike :D

Yes, very much so. Just yesterday I run it for two packs, one on 2s and one on 3s.

Frankly, on 3s it’s just too much, it handles beautifully, the problem is that with speed over 40mph, with rear wheel drive and no oil in the diff, stopping is... challenging.

On 2s it’s perfect, in terms of driving enjoyment, I rank it above my Senton 3s. It handles so much nicer. I think it’s because the weight is all centered, it leans less on the corners.

It’s the only rig I have (apart from my SCX10) that I broke nothing on, apart from the mentioned outdrive. Not sure why.
Can u put up a video running it

View attachment 23059
Hello,

As a beginner in the RC hobby, one thing i was waiting for is making a brushless conversion, i thought it would be interesting to see the differents, and what would be the diffeculties.

I choose to convert the Voltage Fazon, as i think it is so well designed, but suffers from a weak motor, i thought that the chasis could handle much more power.

The installation went super easy, everything went smooth, except for the motor that didnt fit as the connectors are on the side of the motor, to make it fit i had to use the bigger (25t) pinion instead of the 19t.

And i must say - it drivers like a charm!, motor and esc run super cool on 2s, and it has plenty more power than before. top speed went a bit up, from 19mph to 28mph, and the thing is much quiter for some reason.

Now lets see how long will the diff outdrives will last, it lasted 3 5400mah packs up until now without issues.

Can a similar upgrade be done with the blx 100 system out of the granite blx 3s? If so what am i going to need?

View attachment 23059
Hello,

Check this out

Attachments

• 15461026881114612662172877564513.jpg
    15461026881114612662172877564513.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 98
You must appreciate all those making videos of them driving, this is really hard to both drive and film! i kept loosing control of the car, so sorry for this, but this is what i could film :) with a head mount it should be easier.

https://vimeo.com/user5799593/review/308721901/a9d8ef9d85

I clocked 44mph on 3s today.

Just buy a cheap sefie stick and break off the top and hot glue it to your controller

That was WITH a JOBY tripod wrapped around the controller and holding the phone.. the mental task of just keep pointing to the car at all time was enough to be over my capability :)

That was WITH a JOBY tripod wrapped around the controller and holding the phone.. the mental task of just keep pointing to the car at all time was enough to be over my capability :)

I have not done it, but now that you worded it like that I could see how watching the camera to see what your filming plus watching the car could be an issue, especially if you were doing a high speed run. It would not be as bad if you were in an open area and could glance around a bit

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back