Fazon Fazon Voltage - replacing stock servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stack15

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Talion
  5. Voltage
  6. 4x4-Mega
Okay. So I put a new ESC on my Fazon Voltage. That required me to also change the steering servo. This is because the stock ADS5 servo has a five wire connector and my replacement receiver only accepts three wire connectors.

So I obtained a 3 wire ADS5 on eBay. I also have in my possession a Savox SW0230MG that is supposed to go on my grainte 4x4.

I put the 3 wire ADS5 on the voltage and it worked for awhile. It was a weird fit as what I believe is called the “servo saver” from the stock ADS5 would NOT fit the other ADS5. So I used a circular one that came with the Savox.

But anytime I would lightly tap something, the front wheels would cease. I got frustrated and removed that servo. Now I am thinking that I need a different servo saver and a new “rocker arm connector doo-hickey” (really don’t have a name for that part but the servo saver goes into it.

What doo-hickey will fit the standard 3 wire ADS5? Note I also bought two ADS15s. They aren’t here yet but I am thinking I will probably break the ADS5 with all these installs and uninstalls.

Also, I already have some advice from JerryRigged (he’s my new hero) from a different thread... as follows:

The truck is "Compatible" with any servo that fits. If the servo saver does not fit, then you need a new servo saver. Kembrough is the gold standard, and are under $10. I'd look at either the Mid size or the Large size. Move the two ball studs over to the new SS, and use the correct insert for your servo (Arrma Servos are 25t spline, so use the "F" insert - Futaba is also 25t)
Large-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbro...ver-universal-spline-connector-1-kim124/p4584
Mid-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbrough-mid-size-servo-saver-futaba-hitec-airtronics-kim201/p32168

Or you can go with a metal gear servo, and get rid of the SS all together.

Picture four shows the doo-hickey that I think I need to replace. The stock servo is the one on the left with the black part. My replacement servos all have the heated end point
1FF3632C-1C2F-4BBA-B9CB-422C609F5FDF.jpeg
7CB8D1B1-9BCF-4DAE-9573-6E017310EF49.jpeg
050CC736-334A-4901-AE3F-E686E3C556DE.jpeg
4A50D104-326F-4C0C-A231-4C79010BFFFF.jpeg
4ABB4788-E413-4517-B229-F213E4014A6A.jpeg
FC5DE56E-D17C-4E41-A98B-A2AFA180DB43.jpeg

That triangle do-hicky is in "inside half" of the servo saver. The part you left in the truck connected to the steering links is the "Outside half". Take the inside half off the servo, and the servo has a splined shaft just like the Savox and ADS5.

And I only know this stuff because I have screwed it all up before... LOL.

Edit - oh, and there is supposed to be a screw holding the SS to the servo shaft - it threads into the hole in the servo shaft.

I was hopeful that one of those random things that came with the savox servo would fit in place if the factory part. Alas the ball joint things do not fit into the screw holes. Is that going to be a problem with the amain parts?

I guess I don’t really understand what these extra parts with the savox are for or what they do.

Savox = Blue on the left.
Old ADS5 (5 wire) on the right

New ADS5 (3 wire) not pictured but the same exterior part (just plastic in lieu of metal) as the savox.

I definitely get how the factory one works. My replacements - hopefully will make more sense when the servo savers are here (Monday).
A8044379-38FC-44E6-B5F8-AC62FBCD9309.jpeg
image.jpg

Doh. Totally didn’t realize the inner part came off the old servo. I will have this back together and working in no time now.

Done! The only sad thing is the savox servo is a no fit. It just doesn’t quite have the right curvature to fit in the spot on the Fazon Voltage. Special thanks to Jerry Rigged for his help and patience.

The other servo savers will go in my parts box.

I also install the TBR front bumper today.
image.jpg

.... Or you can go with a metal gear servo, and get rid of the SS all together.

Wait, if you go metal gear you can do away with SS all together?

That's new news to me, I did not know that.

I am expecting an ADS-7, waterproof and metal-geared 3 wire servo this Friday. I'm planning on putting in to my Granite Voltage as the stock servo started malfunctioning during the second run.

I planned to plug it in to the combo esc-receiver's alternate, 3 wire port and to run the stock servo saver.

This seemed a good, cost effective option that would add metal gears and higher strength while maintaining waterproof feature and all Arrma bits for compatibility and cause I like red.

Thoughts?

Metal gear servos can still strip, but it can handle more abuse too. If you feel like you need to get rid of the SS, I'd buy an 'overkill' servo - one with way more power than you need. The gear train will be stronger. Good news here, there are lots of 20kg servos on Ebay and Amazon for $20 or less.

Metal gear servos can still strip, but it can handle more abuse too. If you feel like you need to get rid of the SS, I'd buy an 'overkill' servo - one with way more power than you need. The gear train will be stronger. Good news here, there are lots of 20kg servos on Ebay and Amazon for $20 or less.

I have yet to come across 20kg servos for $20 that have middle of the road reviews. Can you point me at some?

Are the ARRMA servos good or junk?

I also considered going up to an ARRMA 15kg or 20kg servo from an even fancier pants, high-end model; that may still happen, depending on the performance of this one.

As for feeling the need to run without a Servo saver, I do not feel that need. I haven't experienced a situation where I felt that need before. I like the idea of metal gears but running with only a solid horn and a stout servo seems a great way to encourage breakage of other steering components in between the ground and the servo horn. I'd rather make a sturdy AND reliable rig that isn't prone to breakage.

Does my plan make sense to you Jerry?

Makes sense.

For the affordable strong services, you have to look at off-brands, like JX or Power HD. I'll see if I can find some links, but I'd you search servo threads here, you will see lots of suggestions.

Last edited:
I ordered this generic one and received it Sunday.

Once the Kimbrough servo saver comes in, I'll mount it up and let ya know how it works.

Question though... Since servo speeds depend on voltage, do they receive voltage that is the same as the battery or is it a discussed voltage from the BEC circuit, which is 5v on these cars.

5v would make the sllllloooooooww I think.

I m having issues with installing savox 0230mg servo on my granite voltage. I purchased a servo saver from my LHS and within 10 minutes the servo saver broke apart. I am new to this and could use some advise from you gents.

it's power from your bec.. you can buy a bec separately. if you find it to slow https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-...h=item2830b0325d:g:K9oAAOSw1JVaQiWU:rk:2:pf:0
Who knew? I had never heard of this before. I did end up putting the Arrma 7kg servo in my Granite Voltage along with the factory Red style servo saver (not the black, 3-piece p.o.s.) and it works great.

I ended up getting this no-name 20kg metal gear servo from Amazon and putting in a Arrma Granite 4x4 I purchased used. It works well and doesn't seem to be too slow in my humble opinion. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back