Felony gearing with Castle 1717 1650KV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadmancho

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
I want to put in the Castle 1717 1650KV motor and esc in my Arrma Felony and run it on 8s. I am looking to do high speed runs (90 mph+) along with drifting. What gearing should I go with that won’t overheat my system?

Can't have it both ways, constant speed gear and no overheating while bashing will not happen.
Not sure anymore what the largest pinion is that will fit but you need to be in the 30-34T range. I believe the mount tops out at 28T/50T

You are probably better off going to a 46T spur and 28T or in that range. That is for speed, for bashing it's probably 20-22T/46T

Can't have it both ways, constant speed gear and no overheating while bashing will not happen.
Not sure anymore what the largest pinion is that will fit but you need to be in the 30-34T range. I believe the mount tops out at 28T/50T

You are probably better off going to a 46T spur and 28T or in that range. That is for speed, for bashing it's probably 20-22T/46T
Thanks for the reply, do you think I would be fine with 25t pinion and 46t spur?

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be good with a 25t pinion and 46t spur?

For bashing? No, it's too much but by all means check your temps on the motor.

Rough calculation, stock motor 2050kv, yours 1650kv = 0.8 ratio
25/50 (speed gear stock) = 0.5
25/46 = 0.54*.8 = 0.43 or roughly a 22T pinion under stock.

Highest I bash with is an 18T and I have upgraded fans on stock motor.

18/50 = 0.36 or roughly 20T/46T for the Castle motor.

I'm sure there is a calculator for this somewhere but it's in the ballpark.

https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

For bashing? No, it's too much but by all means check your temps on the motor.

Rough calculation, stock motor 2050kv, yours 1650kv = 0.8 ratio
25/50 (speed gear stock) = 0.5
25/46 = 0.54*.8 = 0.43 or roughly a 22T pinion under stock.

Highest I bash with is an 18T and I have upgraded fans on stock motor.

18/50 = 0.36 or roughly 20T/46T for the Castle motor.

I'm sure there is a calculator for this somewhere but it's in the ballpark.

https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
You mean now for bash is 18T/46T is good and 20T/46T for speed And what abut stock 27T/50T Can yoy advise me please am now in this and I don’t want to do something wrong or mistake

Need some details. The gearing above was with respect to get roughly equivalent speed with different motor kV.
Where is 27/50 the stock gearing?

Taking temperatures will tell you if it's too high or just right. Motor should stay below 160 F after a bash session.

I have an arrma infraction v2 withe the same motor esc running a 46t spur and 30/46 running on 8s I did a speed run today and only hit 69mph full triger for at least 4 seconds it seems slower than i expected. Do I need different gearing or do I have a problem? esc and motor heat only 112 running in 85 degree weather

I have an arrma infraction v2 withe the same motor esc running a 46t spur and 30/46 running on 8s I did a speed run today and only hit 69mph full triger for at least 4 seconds it seems slower than i expected. Do I need different gearing or do I have a problem? esc and motor heat only 112 running in 85 degree weather
Did you do the throttle calibration correctly?

Back