Felony Felony weak brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windays

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Outcast 8s
  3. Vendetta
Swapped in 160a spektrum ESC and 1250kv motor into my felony and I'm noticing the brake is extremely weak. I usually have to drift to a stop. Is this normal with higher gearings? My mmx8s brakes my 8s outcast like it hit a wall and will flip it easily if I don't turn it down. My felony will take 20-30 feet to stop from 20-30 mph.

Swapped in 160a spektrum ESC and 1250kv motor into my felony and I'm noticing the brake is extremely weak. I usually have to drift to a stop. Is this normal with higher gearings? My mmx8s brakes my 8s outcast like it hit a wall and will flip it easily if I don't turn it down. My felony will take 20-30 feet to stop from 20-30 mph.
Firma 160 amp brakes seem fairly weak from the factory.
Have you tried turning the brakes up to 100% ?

Firma 160 amp brakes seem fairly weak from the factory.
Have you tried turning the brakes up to 100% ?
I have as long as the settings saved. They are very very weak almost unsafe weak. I might just put a mmx8s in this thing too. The motor is great though and it rips and doesn't overheat

I have as long as the settings saved. They are very very weak almost unsafe weak. I might just put a mmx8s in this thing too. The motor is great though and it rips and doesn't overheat
Try a throttle calibration and see what happens.

Swap the mmx8s to the felony and the spektrum to the outcast.

46/30 gearing. This isn't slow to stop this is it rolls to a stop. I think it's the ESC, I remember the outcast stopping slow too. I'm just gonna look into an xlx2 or mmx8s.

46/30 gearing. This isn't slow to stop this is it rolls to a stop. I think it's the ESC, I remember the outcast stopping slow too. I'm just gonna look into an xlx2 or mmx8s.
46t pinion !?

I'm assuming you mean 30t pinion and 46t spur. 30/46

Factory setting for the Arrma 5th scale is only 25% I believe

Id try resetting
I’m thinking maybe the settings didn’t save

Factory setting for the Arrma 5th scale is only 25% I believe

Id try resetting
I’m thinking maybe the settings didn’t save
I'll try it and see. When I saved it before I had to turn the ESC off it wouldn't let me change anything else or go back

So there's two instruction books on the 160a and they both have different charts for programming settings of the ESC. So while I thought I was adjusting the brake apparently I really just set reverse speed to 100%. That does explain why it became very touchy going in reverse. I will try it out tomorrow but I went through the different settings to make sure the amount of beeps matched the chart I was using.

So there's two instruction books on the 160a and they both have different charts for programming settings of the ESC. So while I thought I was adjusting the brake apparently I really just set reverse speed to 100%. That does explain why it became very touchy going in reverse. I will try it out tomorrow but I went through the different settings to make sure the amount of beeps matched the chart I was using.

Good! find...

I have a Spektrum 160A ESC in my Infraction and brakes are at 100% but I do coast or drift to a stop don't use that braking actively. When I do need to stop...I want brakes and it stops.

My ESC came from a user here. Any ESC I buy I do a reset. So much easier with the $29 Spektrum programmer box to your point manuals are different and could be changing the wrong setting...seeing it much easier.

We all know Spektrum is not as good as HW and other guys but we have them. So far with care mine are lasting and doing well...fingers crossed. Look like you are on the right track now.

Good luck!

Brake works very well now at 100%, able to stop from speed much much easier now that I have it set right. Locks the tires up at 100% so turned it down to 90ish and seems to be pretty good. Now I just need to find a better fan for this ESC if I'm going to keep it. It gets hot fast but motor stays around 140's.

Anyone know the size of the fan on the ESC? Tried googling it but getting nothing.

Last edited:
Brake works very well now at 100%, able to stop from speed much much easier now that I have it set right. Locks the tires up at 100% so turned it down to 90ish and seems to be pretty good. Now I just need to find a better fan for this ESC if I'm going to keep it. It gets hot fast but motor stays around 140's.

Anyone know the size of the fan on the ESC? Tried googling it but getting nothing.
They are 35x35x10 i believe

They are 35x35x10 i believe
I measured with a tape measure and it looks like 40x40x10mm. It might be 35x35x10mm so I'll order one of each lol. At least fans that small are pretty cheap if you buy from like Delta or Sunon.

Good work to get the brakes right. When I had the stock radio I liked having ESC at 100% and on the radio having the brake knob between 60-75% worked really well. Keep in mind sure you know this don't ride on brakes all the time it does work the electronics at that level. I still coast and drift to a stop but I do like the immediate stop when needed. Light taps on the brakes as a norm.

There are some better fans whatever you go with and depends on the type of basher you are....the next stage up is the 40mm servo-like fans those you run off a 3S small lipo. Try to replace the stock first to see how those work for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back