Kraton Field Charger ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanning

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Does anyone charge Lipos while you are away from commercial power ? I've been testing out the subject with a few batteries out of a Razor electric dirt bike. Im charging from 24 volts of battery. I can get a few charges at some high power. I'm just wondering if anyone charges off batteries in the field... or just brings a few packs. I have to time a charge from dead to 100%. I may be able to charge one full while driving another pack. At about 25-30 amps. Or not even fast....just to have a way to charge at 24volts away from commercial power.

Does anyone charge Lipos while you are away from commercial power ? I've been testing out the subject with a few batteries out of a Razor electric dirt bike. Im charging from 24 volts of battery. I can get a few charges at some high power. I'm just wondering if anyone charges off batteries in the field... or just brings a few packs. I have to time a charge from dead to 100%. I may be able to charge one full while driving another pack. At about 25-30 amps. Or not even fast....just to have a way to charge at 24volts away from commercial power.

I have a small older model venom charger circa 2008 that I use but it has battery clips...I run it on my truck batt...i only use it to charge my small 1800 mah lipos for my 18th scales....my newer charger doesn't have that dc battery option....hi tec dual charger...not sure why...I suppose you could get an inverter ..nice size inverter should have no problem...and with a deep cycle battery ..but then again...dreams are typically bigger than our bank accounts...how much you looking to spend?.. .

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Here is what I have. I use that power supply always at the house. It puts out 17 volts. I had these 2 12 volt batteries laying around from a Razor. I charged a few times off of them and it seems to work well. 24 volts is better than 17. I was thinking on just getting a plastic tool box and making a field charger box setup. 12volts off my Jeep is too weak I think. Plus I rather not hook up to it. I was just wondering if anyone else charged off batteries if you are out away from power. It seems like I could get a few charges off these 12 volts. These batteries were getting a good workout in an electric dirt bike. I guess they can charge some LiPos.

I've used my 12v car battery to charge (and regenative discharge) before with no issues. With the car running, my charger was able to pull its full 20a charge rate. You could do this with out a car using a deep cycle lead acid battery.

I have also used other, larger, lipos to charge from before. My charger takes a 12-24v input voltage so anything between 3s and 6s will work. Just make sure the input pack has enough capacity before you start or it could be damaged. This is actually how I break in new packs if I get more than one. It makes the process twice as fast.

Thanks Dustin.... a deep cycle battery sounds like a good thing to get. This winter I just want to organize this charging gear. Make it easier to keep track of and take places.

I've used my 12v car battery to charge (and regenative discharge) before with no issues. With the car running, my charger was able to pull its full 20a charge rate. You could do this with out a car using a deep cycle lead acid battery.

I have also used other, larger, lipos to charge from before. My charger takes a 12-24v input voltage so anything between 3s and 6s will work. Just make sure the input pack has enough capacity before you start or it could be damaged. This is actually how I break in new packs if I get more than one. It makes the process twice as fast.

Good point.... I saw a setting in my charger to shut down if the input voltage drops too low. But I'll have to figure out what that voltage would be.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back