Talion Final BMX Track Video - All Breakages Explained (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Hey guys. I wanted to do one final video detailing HOW the things broke on my stock Talion while at the BMX track. You will see slow motion footage of what exactly caused the damage. This is NOT an excuse video. I am just showing the things that broke MY truck. If you want to offer an opinion as to whether a certain item should have broken or not after watching the video, I would welcome the input. I feel the breakages were warranted but I will not ARGUE with you if you think otherwise. I may clarify my point, but that's it. Thanks for watching!

Nice recollection of the incidences that caused the damages. Not sure that there's a product out there, that could withstand some of those hits. Also keep in mind, the Talion was able to make it to the end, with only the replacement of the one shock rod end that you borrowed from the Kraton.(y)(y)

:( Sorry man that sucks. Cool video shows us what not to do lol.

I wasn't upset because I'm a realist, lol. Nothing was hard to fix and the only person I could be mad at was me for the screw ups. But I had a blast that day. It was one of my best bash sessions by far. I couldn't believe how far I was sending it off the berm. And like @Notorious J said, it made it to the end! So it's all good ?

Nice recollection of the incidences that caused the damages. Not sure that there's a product out there, that could withstand some of those hits. Also keep in mind, the Talion was able to make it to the end, with only the replacement of the one shock rod end that you borrowed from the Kraton.(y)(y)
Not that I would purposely try to lawn dart it again, but I wonder what the results would have been with VH braces and an M2C chassis ?

Not that I would purposely try to lawn dart it again, but I wonder what the results would have been with VH braces and an M2C chassis ?
I can attest to the fact that good chassis braces and an M2C chassis will offset a lot of the damage. Lawn darting is now one of my new signature moves, right behind cart wheeling and sliding on the roof :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I bet if you had the VH braces on there (without the M2C chassis), you would have busted the ears on that front diff. I took a hard hit with the outcast in the nose with the stock chassis and HR braces and it busted those ears clean off. That was even with the added cushion of the RPM bumper and a T2T brace.

Pretty sure I'll have the M2C chassis before summer is here... or over. :)

My contention all along wasn’t that these trucks are indestructible or don’t break. I never, ever wrote that. I had the words put in my mouth, but they didn’t come from me. The issue I had was the notion that you need to put $500+ into these trucks in order to "bash hard." I’m not sure of what some people’s definition of bash hard is, but to me it was what I was doing at the BMX track with a stock Talion. I would say that most people do not send their trucks like I was at the end. Those were big air jumps. And if I didn’t make the errors I did, there was a good chance I go home with no breakages on a stock truck. This has nothing to do with a Traxxas or Tekno or any other brand.

Now that said, if you are inclined to send your truck, what are some good upgrades......

Voltage Hobbies or Hot Racing chassis braces: ~$50
Voltage Hobbies steering plate: ~$16
M2C Racing chassis: $104

That’s what I’m doing with my Talion. $170 worth of stuff. Now do I have a lot more into my Kraton? I do. Why? Because I *wanted* to, not because I *had* to.

So for $719 you get an RTR that is going to be able to be bashed hard by my standards. Where the $1000 cost comes from is beyond me. I’ll be bashing my Talion all summer. If it breaks I’ll be sure to document it, because I’m that old pathetic guy with a GoPro on his head :ROFLMAO:(y)??

Comment on the actual video production: When you are splicing in clips of footage from your other videos, it would be nice if you could either mute the audio on the clip you are splicing in, or stop talking while it plays. The cross-talk from your narration over top of you talking and the sound in the bashing video made it hard for me to figure out what you said at a couple points.

Otherwise, it was a decent video. You did a good job of staying on point and not rambling your way into a 15 minute video like some YouTubers do! Oh, and after watching those last two hits, I'm surprise MORE stuff wasn't broken! No shame on ARRMA for the truck not surviving those hits unscathed.

Have you had issues with stock arm breakage? Just curious, not "poking the bear".

I swapped mine out for RPM before I even ran it. My buddy with his v2 (or v3, can't recall) talion broke arms on a frequent enough basis that I didn't even try running the stock ones. He bashed where I bashed, me with my savage flux or ERBE, him with the talion. Of course, it was always an awful awful landing that broke one, so it's to be expected. He also liked doing front flips... which had a 50/50 shot of going bonkers on him 15 feet off the ground and ended badly.

His chassis on the other hand, just from hard nearly flat landings on grass was bent and twisted six ways from Sunday. Mine on my outcast is bent a bit, but it's shorter, so less leverage. I've lawn darted the thing a few times that made me cringe. Without the T2T, I'd have to guess it would be far worse than it is.

Comment on the actual video production: When you are splicing in clips of footage from your other videos, it would be nice if you could either mute the audio on the clip you are splicing in, or stop talking while it plays. The cross-talk from your narration over top of you talking and the sound in the bashing video made it hard for me to figure out what you said at a couple points.

Otherwise, it was a decent video. You did a good job of staying on point and not rambling your way into a 15 minute video like some YouTubers do! Oh, and after watching those last two hits, I'm surprise MORE stuff wasn't broken! No shame on ARRMA for the truck not surviving those hits unscathed.
Thank you. Point taken ?

Have you had issues with stock arm breakage? Just curious, not "poking the bear".

I swapped mine out for RPM before I even ran it. My buddy with his v2 (or v3, can't recall) talion broke arms on a frequent enough basis that I didn't even try running the stock ones. He bashed where I bashed, me with my savage flux or ERBE, him with the talion. Of course, it was always an awful awful landing that broke one, so it's to be expected. He also liked doing front flips... which had a 50/50 shot of going bonkers on him 15 feet off the ground and ended badly.

His chassis on the other hand, just from hard nearly flat landings on grass was bent and twisted six ways from Sunday. Mine on my outcast is bent a bit, but it's shorter, so less leverage. I've lawn darted the thing a few times that made me cringe. Without the T2T, I'd have to guess it would be far worse than it is.
I run stock arms in the Typhon and the Talion. So far so good. Broke one on my Typhon in the middle of winter. I blame the cold.

Good video and glad you're running a Talion these days. Those jumps are what I always wish to attempt and will eventually when I can get my timing down on smaller stuff. I would never even try that kinda air or rotation with the two other brands of "premium ($400+)" RCs I've owned. The only people I know that disbelieve my tales of Arrma tough are guys that don't own any Arrma trucks.

My Talion lives with broken wing mounts but otherwise haven't busted anything else trying to land or landing foul. Granted, I don't send it like that just yet.
I had a stock front lower arm shear but I hit head on a sharp metal culvert. Wasn't from stress; just sharp metal cut it.

Are you still using that same editing software you've always used? Still like it? I can't name it offhand because I saved the info on my PC inside the house but I'm still considering buying it. I'm on a Macbook Pro out here in the shop now and have started to think about using iMovie. Point is, I'm still motivating to make some video to be a true Arrma Forum contributor and I'm so impatient that I'm looking for easy, less involved workflow than I expect I'll have to commit to. Your videos are always enjoyable to watch and I'm glad you're doing it.
I wish I could hire a local college student that's into video production to do all the work for me. lol Plus she needs to like beer and food and come hang out and film while I break my toy trucks.

You neglected to mention your swimming ?‍♀️ as one your moves?
I was gunna say that too about notorious j. We all know he is a swimmer these days hahaha. I love my arrma. Still in the air on my rustler haha. Only thing i would change is my controller. Thats next

You neglected to mention your swimming ?‍♀️ as one your moves?
Sorry crew. Pool is closed til June. Only surface destruction courses available at this time?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back