Talion Finally bit the bullet and bought the Talion EXB!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
(Disclaimer - LENGTHY POST :LOL:) First, I'm super excited to start my first journey with Arrma! A good majority of my friends run Traxxas and I've never been one to go with the grain LOL! Although, sharing parts would have been nice. I went with Horizon Hobby as they have local retailers around me in SoCal. Plus I was astonished they offered a military discount at checkout. Don't see that very often! I also like the rewards program they have as it could save some $$ off of future items (inevitable). My first time buying from them. Feedback on them?

Through my research, diffs come up quite a bit with what weight to put in, how they're not filled from the factory, etc. There's not a ton on the forum with the new LSD diffs, though. I'm wanting to do anything preliminary that I can to keep this thing on the track. Any help in this area would be much appreciated! I want to own them!! The track I run on is a very short course track with a few 1ft high rhythm jumps and two tabletops that are 3ft high and about 10ft in length. It's very loose hard-packed dirt with a lot of ruts. Not very well maintained for sure. I'm racing primarily against Traxxas Slash and they've always killed me with my Redcat Blackout SE Pro on 2 and 3s. I also go real offroading in my truck and take my rig wherever I go, so lots of deserts to play in with varying terrain. I've never had a rig that would jump really far without completely destroying it but I know I'd love it! I also like doing some occasional frontflips/backflips to "ah" the onlookers.

Tires: Are stock good enough? Saw quite a few videos on DBoots Backflips and am curious about your thoughts given the terrain I mentioned above.

In looking at batteries with the EC5 connection, I did what one member posted and searched on Amazon starting from High $ to low, then pick the one with the discharge rate and mAh I was looking for. This pair seems like a good buy: (FConegy 3s) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092HWPJT...olid=2W7OAUVQ57IMV&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp. 5500 mAh 120c discharge hardcase. Thoughts?

Charger: I currently run a 1-4s charger dual port but can only charge (2) 2s or (1) 3/4s at a time. With Talion on 6s, I need to upgrade here for sure. Looking at the Hota D6+. I can deal with my old charger for now so this might be on my Xmas wish list.

Finally... Anything else you can think of that might help me dominate? In the short time I've been on this forum researching, y'all are one knowledgeable group and I very much value your opinion!!

Have a great weekend! :cool:🍻

Welcome to the forum!
Don’t have a Talion EXB, but it’s a pretty solid rig👍
As for lipo’s, have a look a CNHL lipo’s. I run 2x 3s 8000 120c in the Mojave EXB and they perform👍. They only require a new connector, but your LHS could perform that for a small fee if required.
Have fun bashing🤙

(Disclaimer - LENGTHY POST :LOL:) First, I'm super excited to start my first journey with Arrma! A good majority of my friends run Traxxas and I've never been one to go with the grain LOL! Although, sharing parts would have been nice. I went with Horizon Hobby as they have local retailers around me in SoCal. Plus I was astonished they offered a military discount at checkout. Don't see that very often! I also like the rewards program they have as it could save some $$ off of future items (inevitable). My first time buying from them. Feedback on them?

Through my research, diffs come up quite a bit with what weight to put in, how they're not filled from the factory, etc. There's not a ton on the forum with the new LSD diffs, though. I'm wanting to do anything preliminary that I can to keep this thing on the track. Any help in this area would be much appreciated! I want to own them!! The track I run on is a very short course track with a few 1ft high rhythm jumps and two tabletops that are 3ft high and about 10ft in length. It's very loose hard-packed dirt with a lot of ruts. Not very well maintained for sure. I'm racing primarily against Traxxas Slash and they've always killed me with my Redcat Blackout SE Pro on 2 and 3s. I also go real offroading in my truck and take my rig wherever I go, so lots of deserts to play in with varying terrain. I've never had a rig that would jump really far without completely destroying it but I know I'd love it! I also like doing some occasional frontflips/backflips to "ah" the onlookers.

Tires: Are stock good enough? Saw quite a few videos on DBoots Backflips and am curious about your thoughts given the terrain I mentioned above.

In looking at batteries with the EC5 connection, I did what one member posted and searched on Amazon starting from High $ to low, then pick the one with the discharge rate and mAh I was looking for. This pair seems like a good buy: (FConegy 3s) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092HWPJT...olid=2W7OAUVQ57IMV&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp. 5500 mAh 120c discharge hardcase. Thoughts?

Charger: I currently run a 1-4s charger dual port but can only charge (2) 2s or (1) 3/4s at a time. With Talion on 6s, I need to upgrade here for sure. Looking at the Hota D6+. I can deal with my old charger for now so this might be on my Xmas wish list.

Finally... Anything else you can think of that might help me dominate? In the short time I've been on this forum researching, y'all are one knowledgeable group and I very much value your opinion!!

Have a great weekend! :cool:🍻
Tires: The Dboot Backflip LP’s and MT’s are popular on the Kraton and come stock on the Outcast. Bigger tires will make it easier for you to do stunts/flips. If you’re gonna be on a track I would get some 1/8th scale buggy wheels and tires for track use. The stock Talion tires will be good for general bashing/off-road.

Batteries: CHNL, Zeee, Ovonic, and SMC are all popular brands. Pick your poison and make sure it’ll fit in your battery tray pretty much. I’ve used Ovonic, Zeee, and SMC all with very little issues.

Charger: I’ve owned the Hota D6+ for almost two years now and I haven’t had any problems with it. You’ll need two balance boards and two cable leads with whatever type of connector you’re gonna be using. It allows me to charge 2x 3s batteries at up to 12 amps, or 1x 3s battery at 15 amps. I can charge two 6000mah 3s batteries in about 30 minutes at 12 amps.

The stock tyres will be fine for general bashing and speed bashing. For racing they aren't great at all, look at buying a set of Proline Blockades try S3 soft compound to start, the AKA Cityblocks are good to, once again try the soft compound to start. Make sure you get truggy wheels and tyres for the Talion, buggy wheels are to small and narrow for racing a truggy.

For the track 4s will be plenty, for bashing you'll want to enjoy 6s for sure. Just bear in mind that running two hard case batteries on top of each other can be a little tricky they don't always sit nicely without pushing on the wires. They can also be a little taller than one 6s pack, if you're worried about center of gravity.

As far as diffs I'd start with the set-up stock and race the car, tyres are going to give you the biggest advantage, don't bash with your race tyres though, they are expensive and a little more vulnerable. Once you get a feel for the way the car handles look at adjusting things like your camber and toe to achieve the turn in and handling you want. The ride height and preload is very important too. Just get the car on track and change one thing at a time to see how the car responds. If it's worse then change it back if it's better go further with that adjustment till it's worse then dial it back.

We all like things set-up differently so until you start to drive it you'll be only guessing using other people's set-ups, but copying a kit car set-up sheet can be helpful to get a good starting point. Use for example a Mugen truggy set-up as a guide, they use similar style suspension, most race kits use single front arm designs, I think associated uses a dual arm design also.

A decent speed servo with plenty of torque is also pretty important, don't be tempted to run only a 25kg servo, if you get something like a 35kg or higher it will be a better starting point. If you have a decent radio you can tune the speed of the servo and even the way the esc provides power to the driveline with your radio. It's really important on track when racing as you want to be able to dial in your brakes so they don't lock up coming into the first corner after the straight and to be able to get on the power without to much losing traction.

Hope some of this helps, congrats on your rig, it will be a beast that's for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back