Typhon Finally getting a Typhon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Vorteks
Ok, so after having the Senton for about 4 months and getting bit by the Arrma bug, I'm finally about to order a Typhon in a few minutes. I have Towerhobbies.com open in another tab as I type. It was a tough choice between the Typhon and the new Outcast stunt truck. But I figured since I usually get trucks, it's time to add another buggy to the stable. I will be getting the Outcast later though for sure! Hopefully the pinion won't be a pain to get off this time like on my Senton. Fingers crossed on that one. So, what electronics are you guys running in your Typhons? Is yours set up for speed, bashing or both?

Ok, so after having the Senton for about 4 months and getting bit by the Arrma bug, I'm finally about to order a Typhon in a few minutes. I have Towerhobbies.com open in another tab as I type. It was a tough choice between the Typhon and the new Outcast stunt truck. But I figured since I usually get trucks, it's time to add another buggy to the stable. I will be getting the Outcast later though for sure! Hopefully the pinion won't be a pain to get off this time like on my Senton. Fingers crossed on that one. So, what electronics are you guys running in your Typhons? Is yours set up for speed, bashing or both?
I'm still running stock electronics for now, has been running great for both bashing and street, don't see a real reason to upgrade. I run single 6s brick from SPC 4300mah 40c with 18 pinion, has plenty of rip and speed, put 100k center diff with 50k front and rear. Using Duratrax lockups in dirt and Banditos in street, trying GRPs soon for really fast running. Son runs 20 pinion on 4s and still plenty fast/fun. May try heavier center diff fluid at some point. With regards to pinion grub, I kept my tool straight and braced firmly and was very deliberate about it coming loose, came off without much fuss or drama. Temps have been fine with pretty hard/fast bashing. Buggy comes very undergeared in my opinion and diff fluid very underfilled. Typhon handles like a dream, enjoy and congrats! I love mine and only regret not buying sooner.

Agree that stock electronics are fine and that it comes under geared. I ran a single pack through on the stock 14t pinion and immediately changed it out for the 16t. I have a 17t lying around that I will likely use soon. For batteries I have 2x SMC 2s 7200mah 90C (for 4s running), and 2x SMC 3s 4300mah 40C (for 6s running). These batteries are all hard-packs and fit perfectly. With it geared up, running 4s is lots of fun. Don't quite have the room for 6s where I've played. The stock tires are really bad for the road and slide everywhere, but are good on dirt and gravel. Looking to get some road tires. Also looking to get an aluminum servo mount. It's disturbing how much the stock one flexes. And lastly, get a sealed-bearing set as you'll need the rear wheel ones immediately. Being 4wd the rear arms and bearings get blasted hard by the front wheels. I had to change them out after a single dusty run as they weren't even spinning any more. I'm looking for some rear dirt guards as well due to this.

The Typhon is definitely a tough, fast little beast and (so far) impossible to break. Best buggy for the buck, maybe even the best for more bucks.

Sorry for the real noob question but what diff oil does the buggy have in as standard and does replacing it make that much difference? You guys are costing me a fortune lol.

P.s the thypon is my first buggy in 25 years and it really is a thriller when you burry that trigger with 6s and 16t fitted lol.

Not sure whats in there from the factory. My Senton had some thin oil in there, and replaced it with 50,000 center, 10k in the front and i think 3k in the rear. probably do it a little different with the Typhon. Yeah, you'll notice a difference when you change the diff oils. i think there is a thread on here somewhere that explained it. I jusy looked at it the other day. If i see it, ill post a link for ya.

Not sure whats in there from the factory. My Senton had some thin oil in there, and replaced it with 50,000 center, 10k in the front and i think 3k in the rear. probably do it a little different with the Typhon. Yeah, you'll notice a difference when you change the diff oils. i think there is a thread on here somewhere that explained it. I jusy looked at it the other day. If i see it, ill post a link for ya.
I believe it's 7k front and rear and 10k center but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Last post correct 7/10/7
I've been running 50/100/50k and dig it for dirt and street. Really need heavy center to avoid bleeding power to front wheels on hard acceleration.

I think i might try this setup in both my Typhon and Senton. starting to get cold outside, so its time to wrench on the rc's.

I think i might try this setup in both my Typhon and Senton. starting to get cold outside, so its time to wrench on the rc's.
I was thinking the same thing for my senton and typhon lol. I don't like how way the typhon especially gets stuck by getting a dirt chunk under the chassis and sending all the power to the wheel in the air.

I like the heavier weights for bashing, like drifting and limiting some of the diff action. Still turns great, best handling RC I've ever owned, like driving a sports car, makes you feel confident and in control, until of course you take it too far too fast and hit something you didn't know was there...ie large rock, ditch...it's all part of the fun. Is it just me or do you guys like a good wipe out or brutal roll once in while?

I like the heavier weights for bashing, like drifting and limiting some of the diff action. Still turns great, best handling RC I've ever owned, like driving a sports car, makes you feel confident and in control, until of course you take it too far too fast and hit something you didn't know was there...ie large rock, ditch...it's all part of the fun. Is it just me or do you guys like a good wipe out or brutal roll once in while?
It is a blast to just go all out and really beat on them and see how far they can jump every once in awhile. It keeps you on your toes thinking "I wonder if this is going to break something?" lol

Dude you nailed it! We must think and bash alike. Ever see Typhon jumps box truck vid on YouTube. It's sweet....96ft jump outside of hobby store. That's what I call pushing the limits!

Dude you nailed it! We must think and bash alike. Ever see Typhon jumps box truck vid on YouTube. It's sweet....96ft jump outside of hobby store. That's what I call pushing the limits!
I hadn't seen it but now I have. That is extreme. Not sure if I would have the balls to do that though. At the start of the day I normally am pretty conservative but after 2 or 3 hours I start getting a lot braver and not as afraid of breaking it.

I hadn't seen it but now I have. That is extreme. Not sure if I would have the balls to do that though. At the start of the day I normally am pretty conservative but after 2 or 3 hours I start getting a lot braver and not as afraid of breaking it.
I usually need some warm up before shredding myself. All I've really damaged thus far was break center planetary gears prior to adding shims, and pulled out a pillow ball after flubbing a ramp take off and coming down sideways in the grass from 15+ feet up. Easy fix. Now that my LHS Fast Track Hobbies in Rocklin, CA is carrying Arrmas and parts, I feel more inclined to bash uninhibited not worried as much about downtime waiting for online stuff to arrive.

I usually need some warm up before shredding myself. All I've really damaged thus far was break center planetary gears prior to adding shims, and pulled out a pillow ball after flubbing a ramp take off and coming down sideways in the grass from 15+ feet up. Easy fix. Now that my LHS Fast Track Hobbies in Rocklin, CA is carrying Arrmas and parts, I feel more inclined to bash uninhibited not worried as much about downtime waiting for online stuff to arrive.
I wish my local shop carried arrma. I always have to order online and wait for 4 days.

I wish my local shop carried arrma. I always have to order online and wait for 4 days.
I have made friends with the guys and owner at my LHS and brought my Typhon in to show them with vids of it in action. Turns out people were calling about Arrmas already, think they realized they were losing business and potential customers by not adding this great brand to their fleet just about 2 weeks or so ago. I have no problem ordering from Tower, but feel ecstatic that they finally saw the light!

Finally came yesterday. Best part about living a few hours away from Towerhobbies, is I usually get my orders within a day or two.

Attachments

• 20161129_145933.jpg
    20161129_145933.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20161129_145939.jpg
    20161129_145939.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 30
Finally came yesterday. Best part about living a few hours away from Towerhobbies, is I usually get my orders within a day or two.
Sweet! Check out Bigteedo111first Typhon run vid on YouTube. He gets out at 2am just to try it, his on the fly first impression is awesome. He could be a Typhon salesman/spokesperson. Enjoy and be sure to gear that baby up to fully enjoy her ripping potential. PS you'll want better tires, they are fun for drifting and squealing with though.

Sweet! Check out Bigteedo111first Typhon run vid on YouTube. He gets out at 2am just to try it, his on the fly first impression is awesome. He could be a Typhon salesman/spokesperson. Enjoy and be sure to gear that baby up to fully enjoy her ripping potential. PS you'll want better tires, they are fun for drifting and squealing with though.

I watched the video. I remember seeing in a couple weeks. Youre right, he would make a good salesman lol. Thats actually one of the videos that made me want a Typhon even more. im definitley getting some new tires for it. I have Lockups on my Senton, might try some Badlands on the Typhon. Im thinking about ordering an 18t and a 21t pinion. What pinion are you using? Also, do you run 4s or 6s mostly?

I watched the video. I remember seeing in a couple weeks. Youre right, he would make a good salesman lol. Thats actually one of the videos that made me want a Typhon even more. im definitley getting some new tires for it. I have Lockups on my Senton, might try some Badlands on the Typhon. Im thinking about ordering an 18t and a 21t pinion. What pinion are you using? Also, do you run 4s or 6s mostly?
I run 6s only with 18 pinion dirt and street she rips! See media vids for general idea if you like. My son runs 20 tooth 4s on his, still rips. I too run lockups off-road and use Banditos on road, looking for SP or GRP belted as Banditos will balloon a bit at higher 60 plus speeds. Hit 73mph with sons rig on 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back