Typhon Finally! Got an Arrma!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutks

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I got my first RC about a year ago. I was looking at Arrma but the 6s were a bit too spendy to justify for my first RC. The 3s line up looked a bit fragile to me so I ended up with a Team Redcat MT10E. That truck was and still is so awesome. After a couple months with that truck I wanted to try out an 1/8th scale truck baaaad. I was ready to spend the money on an Arrma rig. I was between a Outcast/Kraton and a Redcat BE6S. I liked the Arrma a bit more, but at the time a bunch of the trucks were sold out and spares were hard to find, so I ended up with the BE6S. That truck has also been awesome as well. Well during this quarantine thing, me and my son started going out and bashing. I had two trucks for myself to have one when one would break. But with him bashing, we only had one truck each. So I got the itch for another truck and there was really only one left, an Arrma! Funny thing is I ended up with the one model I was completely disintersted in when I first looked at them last year, a new V4 Typhon. Man this truck is something else! Completely different than the MT10e/MT8e BE6S. It is fast, and so crazy stable. It is so impressive watching the suspension work at full tilt as it is blasting across an open field. Not sure how this truck will compare to my other two durability long term, but it looks to be solid. Out of the box, the "attention to detail" didnt seem to be quite as good as with my other two trucks. The stickers on the body were all messed up, the radio kinda stinks, and the battery velcro strapped broke off the first time I tried to tighten it. It seems to be a very easy care to work on. The center chaisis and driveline is very similar to my redcats, and they are easy to work on. The front and rear diffs seem much easier to get to on this truck. With my other trucks you have to take off bumpers and lights and wings and wheelie bars lol. I think the first thing I am going to upgrade on this truck is the radio. I might get some street type tires too. My other two trucks are not very good for the street at all, so it will be really cool for this truck to pull double duty and maybe hit up some parking lots. Are there any street wheel/tire set ups recommended that don't really require extended hubs, or a truggy set up?

Thanks!

Long term durability will definitely impress, the swb platform from arrma, especially the typhon with it’s shorter arms is tough as nails. I would definitely upgrade the radio. There are many good options from budget to mid range that are wayyy better than stock. Another thing to think about is pulling out the diffs and re filling with some different oil depending on your driving style. It’ll really open the truck up handling and performance wise, and I always, always recommend some fast eddy rubber sealed bearings while you’re in there. And swapping the bearings in axel carriers is a breeze. The arrmas are super easy to work on you’re not wrong. As far as on road tires go I’d check out GRP tires. You can get a full set on eBay for 45 bucks and they’re great. Compound s5 should do you good with summer coming up. As far as a truggy set up you can swap the axel carriers for the axel carriers that come stock on the kraton and outcast and you’ll be able to use some bigger off road tires like the badland mx28s. It’s a super awesome truck! Have fun and welcome to the arrma family ??

Long term durability will definitely impress, the swb platform from arrma, especially the typhon with it’s shorter arms is tough as nails. I would definitely upgrade the radio. There are many good options from budget to mid range that are wayyy better than stock. Another thing to think about is pulling out the diffs and re filling with some different oil depending on your driving style. It’ll really open the truck up handling and performance wise, and I always, always recommend some fast eddy rubber sealed bearings while you’re in there. And swapping the bearings in axel carriers is a breeze. The arrmas are super easy to work on you’re not wrong. As far as on road tires go I’d check out GRP tires. You can get a full set on eBay for 45 bucks and they’re great. Compound s5 should do you good with summer coming up. As far as a truggy set up you can swap the axel carriers for the axel carriers that come stock on the kraton and outcast and you’ll be able to use some bigger off road tires like the badland mx28s. It’s a super awesome truck! Have fun and welcome to the arrma family ??
They have GRP tires that will bolt right on and fit?
The BE6S is set up very similar to the 6s Arrmas and I've already done the diffs on it, it isn't too bad.

They have GRP tires that will bolt right on and fit?
The BE6S is set up very similar to the 6s Arrmas and I've already done the diffs on it, it isn't too bad.
Yes, GRP will bolt right on!
The MT10E was my second truck and it's a beast for 1:10 scale. Esc is a little underpowered and I fried one but I've really enjoyed my Redcat for sure. Good pick for a number 1 to get into the hobby and the MT10E got me hooked.
I would also suggest the GRP wheel and tires sets or maybe the dboots Hoons that come on the Infraction or Limitless. I just ordered a set for my V3 Typhon but I chose GRP first and love em. You can fit that 20t speed pinion and run on the GRP or Hoons and not worry at all about blow outs. With GRP you'll also have different choices for wheel color and style. Don't have to choose yellow. They're a good buy and should last for a long time.
Choose tire compound and wheel design, get any 17mm and you're good to go! Bolts right on!
⬇⬇⬇
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...m&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=GRP

edit: here's the GRP English site
http://www.grpgandini.it/

1586746768518.png

1586746798252.png

Last edited:
Would the GRP tires fit on a 3s Typhon without any other change like extenders? Also, since they're a little smaller than the stock wheels, would a pinion change be necessary for motor temps?

Would the GRP tires fit on a 3s Typhon without any other change like extenders? Also, since they're a little smaller than the stock wheels, would a pinion change be necessary for motor temps?

3s also has 17mm hubs so they'll fit.
I only have the 6s so can't comment on pinion for 3s but with small size tires you can usually go higher and probably should because they'll also slow down top speeds just a bit. Best way to be sure is to try and check temps for a couple packs. Fortunately with Arrma it's so easy to swap pinions we can do it even in the field in between battery packs. ??

Makes me want 6S Typhon for speed runs and parking mall bash. ?

No changes necessary but it would be a good idea to swap pinions for funs sake. It will be a tad slower on GRPs.

Don't the wheels have to be a big enough diameter to fit over the hubs?

Yes but they typically will if you just be sure of hub size. In this case you're ok for sure. 17mm GRP will fit Typhon 3s and 6s.

Don't the wheels have to be a big enough diameter to fit over the hubs?
That's why I wasn't sure. Looks like the 2HO's inside diameter just barely clears. If I get the GRP's and they won't fit, I'll find some extenders for it or adapters to make them fit on a 12mm hex car.

That's why I wasn't sure. Looks like the 2HO's inside diameter just barely clears. If I get the GRP's and they won't fit, I'll find some extenders for it or adapters to make them fit on a 12mm hex car.
They do barely fit but will fit. I have extended my Typhon but even before I did I ran on the GRP no probs. I understand what you mean and had the same concern when I did it. Some people shave / dremel a hair off the steering blocks but it's not necessary.
You could also consider the Hoons which are also awesome and because Arrma fits dBoots on rtr, I'm sure they'll fit.

Just got my GRP's. They rub ever so slightly. Took a little bit of material off the rear turnbuckles. Going to get some extenders for them. Hard to see in the picture.
Capture+_2020-04-17-19-20-35.png

If the speed bug bites I can tell you the factory esc and motor can take this Typhon 6s into the 92-98 mph range!

All you really need is a spool setup from the Limitless.

If you have not already heard about kit breakers, they have the cheapest parts! Check out Jenny's RC

So I got a question about tuning the suspension on this thing. I was driving with my son at an old baseball field. Where the infield transitions to the outfield there is a small gentle rise. I was going over that rise with some speed to get some air. Almost every time this thing went over the rise and got air, it went nose down. Then I tried jumpin the ramp that I had built along time ago for my MT10E and MT8E BES... it did the same thing going off that ramp, it would go thru the air nose down. The car is 100% stock, is there some suppension tuning that can be done for this?

So I got a question about tuning the suspension on this thing. I was driving with my son at an old baseball field. Where the infield transitions to the outfield there is a small gentle rise. I was going over that rise with some speed to get some air. Almost every time this thing went over the rise and got air, it went nose down. Then I tried jumpin the ramp that I had built along time ago for my MT10E and MT8E BES... it did the same thing going off that ramp, it would go thru the air nose down. The car is 100% stock, is there some suppension tuning that can be done for this?
What’s happening is the rear is hitting the face of the jump and tipping it forward and then you don’t have enough tire and wheel mass to rotate it back with throttle input. You can either make it faster to get more wheel speed to leverage the amount of tire mass you already have, or you can get bigger tires to add mass at the speed you already have.

I say do both ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back