Big Rock Finally got my Nero!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vans5oh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Mojave EXB
Alright guys, I finally pulled the trigger on one I’ve been watching and I got it at an amazing deal! This thing has all stock electronics with the diff brain. Body, bumpers, and front skid plates have some wear but everything else is in great condition. No rust and everything spins super smooth. Haven’t driven it yet but I can’t wait to take it out. I was a little more comfortable buying one knowing I can still get a bulk of the parts from Tower or Horizon. I should have just bought one back in 2016 but had my reservations for obvious reasons, but better late than never I guess.

0653CFCB-C18C-4EF7-B3E1-94AF8758474C.jpeg

5CDF006C-A664-4EF2-B63A-2A4E54F5BDBC.jpeg

D77B09DB-AF21-4F91-921B-3BFD0E7EF7AF.jpeg

I paid $530 for it in eBay, which is expensive for a used RC but not for THIS RC! I honestly cant believe it sold for this cheap when people were bidding on others far more expensive and in worse condition. I need to swap the battery connectors to IC5s. I’ve even thought about putting my spare Max8 combo in it to save the stock electronics. Can’t wait for some free time to drive it. I really hope it’s as good as everyone says.

Is that the rig traxxsucks sued them over? How's it any different or better than the revo?
For all intents and purposes, yes this was the rig. The lawsuit had a lot more into it that involves a lot of other stuff than just the pushrod suspension setup. Anyway, it’s different in that it has a twin vertical plate chassis rather than just a standard plate, ride height adjustment is different, it has lockable diffs and a little less suspension tuning options(mostly just rear toe). Driving wise I don’t know yet because I haven’t had a chance to drive it. I will give an update as soon as I get a chance to rip this thing around.

Is that the rig traxxsucks sued them over? How's it any different or better than the revo?
From what I've read on forums and watched on Youtube, the Nero platform was a lot more durable and bigger than the E-Revo 1. After the Nero was introduced, the E-Revo 2.0 came out with a longer wheelbase, bigger wheels/tires, beefier a-arms, and a stronger drivetrain. The front and rear driveshafts are still plastic through.
Alright guys, I finally pulled the trigger on one I’ve been watching and I got it at an amazing deal! This thing has all stock electronics with the diff brain. Body, bumpers, and front skid plates have some wear but everything else is in great condition. No rust and everything spins super smooth. Haven’t driven it yet but I can’t wait to take it out. I was a little more comfortable buying one knowing I can still get a bulk of the parts from Tower or Horizon. I should have just bought one back in 2016 but had my reservations for obvious reasons, but better late than never I guess.

View attachment 178667

View attachment 178668

View attachment 178669
Looks pretty clean for $530. Good find!

I finally had a chance to run my Nero. My first impressions are good. I did replace the steering servo with a 29kg Powerhobby servo. Stock one was super slow and weak. I also put some wheels and tires from a Kraton on it. I kind of want to keep the stock tires looking good. Driving wise with the diffs unlocked is actually a blast and reminds me of driving my old 1/8th scale buggy. I don’t like the front wheels just spinning like crazy on hard acceleration but it is nice keeping the front end down.
With the center diff locked it is very similar to driving my V1 ERevo. Wheelies like crazy, and great on loose terrain. Really nice for high speed running. Comparing it to the V2 ERevo though, I will have to give the advantage here ERevo. It is nice being able to tune the center diff rather than just open or locked.
Drift mode though was a blast. With the Kraton tires on the street the truck was super simple to drift. Super fun mode and was great to even used in the grass.
All diffs locked, I could take or leave this mode. Not really great for handling and if I wanted to crawl I’d use a crawler. Maybe I just haven’t found a good use for this mode yet, but as of right now I can’t see myself using it all that much.

Now the big question, how does it compare to the ERevo? Well the ERevo is easier to work on, feels more nimble, has more tune ability in the suspension(this is both good and bad), and the ability to tune the diffs is a great feature. As for the Nero, the chassis is stronger, it doesn’t have rear toe links to fail (lacks tuning but great for bashing), the lockable diffs is awesome in that it can give several different driving experiences in one truck, ride height adjustment has more options, and as a personal opinion the truck just looks cooler.
Some negatives that both trucks share is the battery compartment. Both truly limit the size of the batteries that can be run. The ERevo does have the advantage here because battery doors that open downward is just asking for trouble. The more I play with the Nero the more extensive this list will become.
As of right now I think the ERevo is a better “racer” while the Nero is the better “basher.” The plastics on the Nero feel stronger which is great for bashing but the amount of work that needs to be done to change the spur or pinion can take some serious wrenching. I know I hear a lot of “this was the truck that would have killed the ERevo” I don’t think thats true at all. The Nero is great but the ERevo does have a place in this hobby just and so does the Nero. It really is a shame that the Nero is dead and I do wish I would have bought this rather than my ERevo at the time. I am actually happy to own both now though and I will be bashing the Nero as it was intended. I might be a little lighter on it just because of parts availability.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back