Typhon Finally installed Hot Racing metal diffs and CVD sliders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I’ve been waiting and waiting for Arrma to release metal diffs, but I found some hot racing ones instead and I went with those. They seem pretty nice, and should hold up to power nicely. I also picked up some of the Arrma CVD sliders to help alleviate issues with the stock shafts, but who knows how they’ll hold up since they’re still half plastic.
I’ve got all this installed in a Typhon 3s, but the way I’ve got it setup it’s basically a Kraton 4s, minus arms. Since the Cvds I used are for the senton/granite You’ll need to use the hot racing 10mm hex extensions if you’ve got a Typhon or are using Typhon axle stubs. So basically if you have a senton/granite (or other variant that uses those axles) you won’t need the extended hex adapters. The cvds won’t work woth the Kraton 4s or Outcast 4s, they those are coming soon (maybe lol), but the metal diffs and yokes will work.

Good video... Do you like them?

I like them so far. I drove the truck a little bit more than I indicated in the video on the street, I felt bad for my truck haha. I almost never do wheelie after wheelie or attempt standing backflips. After sliding the truck upside down for 50ft on the cement 15 times, I decided to call it a day haha. Of course it didn't matter too much since dirt testing didn't last too long. I've got a steel spur on the way, so I should be able to do more testing later this week.

Ok... The cement course is interesting.
We are riding 75% of the time on carpet. So, I am 50-50 about this set up. We did not break that much on the track.
Keep going.

I like them so far. I drove the truck a little bit more than I indicated in the video on the street, I felt bad for my truck haha. I almost never do wheelie after wheelie or attempt standing backflips. After sliding the truck upside down for 50ft on the cement 15 times, I decided to call it a day haha. Of course it didn't matter too much since dirt testing didn't last too long. I've got a steel spur on the way, so I should be able to do more testing later this week.
Which steel spur did you go with? I saw someone say that the steel spur with the 3s BLX is to much resistance and will put the esc into LVC.

Which steel spur did you go with? I saw someone say that the steel spur with the 3s BLX is to much resistance and will put the esc into LVC.

I ordered the hot racing 4s spur gear and a pack of stock/factory plastic slipper pads. I thought about doing the hot racing metal pads, but they are pricey ($6ish bucks each...and we need 4) and there are no reviews anywhere that I found.

A steel spur will not/should not cause much extra strain on the truck, certainly not enough to cause LVC. If that was the case, they must have had an insanely tight gear mesh which would cause extra strain on the motor (or something else wasn't done properly/was too tight). It does weigh a bit more which affects the rotational mass, but I doubt it would be all that noticeable. The only other thing I can think of is they changed the gearing to something too high and cause it to thermal.

I’m kinda a noob to spur gears and such. What’s the difference between the HR 3s spur gear and the 4s spur gear? I see they are both 57t .8 mod. And can they both just substitute the stock plastic part?

It just depends on what shape slipper pads you have. Nothing to do with 3S or 4S.

Castellated
1585097786681.png

Non-castellated
1585097805429.png

I’ve been waiting and waiting for Arrma to release metal diffs, but I found some hot racing ones instead and I went with those. They seem pretty nice, and should hold up to power nicely. I also picked up some of the Arrma CVD sliders to help alleviate issues with the stock shafts, but who knows how they’ll hold up since they’re still half plastic.
I’ve got all this installed in a Typhon 3s, but the way I’ve got it setup it’s basically a Kraton 4s, minus arms. Since the Cvds I used are for the senton/granite You’ll need to use the hot racing 10mm hex extensions if you’ve got a Typhon or are using Typhon axle stubs. So basically if you have a senton/granite (or other variant that uses those axles) you won’t need the extended hex adapters. The cvds won’t work woth the Kraton 4s or Outcast 4s, they those are coming soon (maybe lol), but the metal diffs and yokes will work.

Were you able to use the stock 17mm wheel hex with the Typhon CVD Sliders? I prefer the 17mm wheel hex and nut over the smaller 12 and 14mm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back