Infraction Finally made it!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Jon.
Everything looks really good and could improve on the throttle pull (could use the nobles throttle speed feature for that)

You held full throttle for about 4 seconds and the RPMs just about held flat at the end..... I don't believe longer time at full throttle would have done much more.

Well done man, so few get past 130 mph!
Thank you! I may try the throttle speed feature sometime. Just been really wanting to get it right on my own. Hence the reason I don’t use gyro’s either.

And I tried out my BSR foams this weekend too and yeah, I’m not to that level yet. Still have some practice to do. That is really tricky. Or at least for me it was. 🤣🤣

So in going forward. What do you look for in order to know if it’s time to gear up or down?? I probably won’t change for a lil while. May practice this setup with the foams. But I’m curious for the future.

Thank you! I may try the throttle speed feature sometime. Just been really wanting to get it right on my own. Hence the reason I don’t use gyro’s either.

And I tried out my BSR foams this weekend too and yeah, I’m not to that level yet. Still have some practice to do. That is really tricky. Or at least for me it was. 🤣🤣

So in going forward. What do you look for in order to know if it’s time to gear up or down?? I probably won’t change for a lil while. May practice this setup with the foams. But I’m curious for the future.
Especially on foams driving on your own is commendable. I never could drive on foams well.

If the throttle input was a little smoother we would expect the voltage would not sag as much and could have provided a few more RPM due to the extra voltage.
What I did notice is the RPMs leveled off. You would want to gear up and repeat the same test (all else unchanged) and see what it does.
If the speed peaks at a lower speed than last time and the RPMs still are flat this would tell us you reached a max gearing and may want to gear back down to see if it goes faster in that scenario.

Amps and voltage sag can often tell us how loaded the setup is. It appears you have room to add more gearing based on voltage sag, but the amperage is up near the limits of that motor. At some point saturation occurs and the only thing that happens "more" is adding more heat in the motor.

At peak RPM you are around 290 amps it looks like. Castle does not give out alot of specs on their motors but we can estimate where it sort of peaked out (stopped accelerating) it was around 290 amps and 28v volts = around 8100 watts.

Last edited:
Especially on foams driving on your own is commendable. I never could drive on foams well.

If the throttle input was a little smoother we would expect the voltage would not sag as much and could have provided a few more RPM due to the extra voltage.
What I did notice is the RPMs leveled off. You would want to gear up and repeat the same test (all else unchanged) and see what it does.
If the speed peaks at a lower speed than last time and the RPMs still are flat this would tell us you reached a max gearing and may want to gear back down to see if it goes faster in that scenario.

Amps and voltage sag can often tell us how loaded the setup is. It appears you have room to add more gearing based on voltage sag, but the amperage is up near the limits of that motor. At some point saturation occurs and the only thing that happens "more" is adding more heat in the motor.

At peak RPM you are around 290 amps it looks like. Castle does not give out alot of specs on their motors but we can estimate where it sort of peaked out (stopped accelerating) it was around 290 amps and 28v volts = around 8100 watts.
Interesting. I keep telling people that this is no easy task. You don’t just throw some batteries in and pick up a radio and punch it thinking you can get to 100 just like that. Nope. This is a fine science. And there’s a lot to it. Just talking with you guys on here, I have learned a lot.

Another thing I learned is Jon makes driving on foams look like a walk in the park. 😳 I love seeing his videos pop up. He is very detailed and precise. Not to mention talented. I have been watching some of James McCoy videos too. That man is a beast at the wheel. Lol

I’m gonna do a few more passes with this setup to see exactly where I top out at. May try the throttle speed as well. I would love to get good on the foams, but that may take awhile to get used too.

Last edited:
Yep @jondilly1974 says he feels like foams have more grip than GRPs. I suspect road surface texture plays a big part in that "feel".
For my roads they feel like being on ice and never could master it.

When testing and learning about your car and the setup, having consistent runs (using the throttle speed setting) really helps. If you made a gear change and the real perk of that run was your throttle application and not the gearing it could confuse your progress for weeks/months LOL

James is the man for sure. The time, money, and dedication he puts into speed running is unmatched. I am working with him on something that I hope takes him to 200+ (fingers crossed). It may also turn into a small business venture for me too ;)

I feel like what might seem like difficulty running foams is actually higher traction, not less. At least that is my experience. Steering rates must be turned down much further. Foams turn on a dime for me vs GRPs. Straight line take off traction is way higher with foams too. My best drag times by far are on foams. The BSR Purples are very dense, way more so than the BSR XX Pink or the Sweeps / Contact foams I have. Maybe the lower density foams would be a better choice for those new to foams. Another thing I have changed recently is have zero shock travel. My road is far from smooth and this has only helped. I now only have fuel tube over the shafts locking in the ride height. The foam tires have enough cushion to take small imperfections in the road.

I feel like what might seem like difficulty running foams is actually higher traction, not less. At least that is my experience. Steering rates must be turned down much further. Foams turn on a dime for me vs GRPs. Straight line take off traction is way higher with foams too. My best drag times by far are on foams. The BSR Purples are very dense, way more so than the BSR XX Pink or the Sweeps / Contact foams I have. Maybe the lower density foams would be a better choice for those new to foams. Another thing I have changed recently is have zero shock travel. My road is far from smooth and this has only helped. I now only have fuel tube over the shafts locking in the ride height. The foam tires have enough cushion to take small imperfections in the road.
I have always wondered if the drag times are because the foam tires let the tires slip just enough to get the motor turning more rpms.
You can see from the smoke/dust the tire slip is occurring.

That is great that you can run without suspension travel! That helps at higher speeds for sure.

Yep @jondilly1974 says he feels like foams have more grip than GRPs. I suspect road surface texture plays a big part in that "feel".
For my roads they feel like being on ice and never could master it.

When testing and learning about your car and the setup, having consistent runs (using the throttle speed setting) really helps. If you made a gear change and the real perk of that run was your throttle application and not the gearing it could confuse your progress for weeks/months LOL

James is the man for sure. The time, money, and dedication he puts into speed running is unmatched. I am working with him on something that I hope takes him to 200+ (fingers crossed). It may also turn into a small business venture for me too ;)
So what you’re saying is I really need a consistent throttle pull every time. Or just make it easier on myself and use the nb4 throttle feature in order to really see what direction I need to go. Looking forward to seeing what you and James are working on. I’ll definitely have my eyes peeled. Best of luck.
I just might pick up a set of pinks and give it a shot. I’d really like to be able to move up to foams.
As far as shock travel on mine I believe I have figured that out. On my pass this weekend. The tires never rubbed the body and I’m still able to set it done nice and low on the front. I didn’t have any fuel line laying around so I used some 1/8” vacuum hose. I have very little travel now. And I made sure it was nice and stiff in the back.

The road I make my passes is extremely smooth and fairly new. I have really lucked out on this spot.

Last edited:
So what you’re saying is I really need a consistent throttle pull every time. Or just make it easier on myself and use the nb4 throttle feature in order to really see what direction I need to go. Looking forward to seeing what you and James are working on. I’ll definitely have my eyes peeled. Best of luck.

I just might pick up a set of pinks and give it a shot. I’d really like to be able to move up to foams.
As far as shock travel on mine I believe I have figured that out. On my pass this weekend. The tires never rubbed the body and I’m still able to set it done nice and low on the front. I didn’t have any fuel line laying around so I used some 1/8” vacuum hose. I have very little travel now. And I made sure it was nice and stiff in the back.

The road I make my passes is extremely smooth and fairly new. I have really lucked out on this spot.
I keep looking at all the new lanes on the interstate that they just put down near me and try to think what I could do with four brand new lanes of pristine asphalt standing on the overpass. What could I do with half a mile or more of visibility.

If you have 2 or 3 variables it makes it harder to tell if your gearing change was the solution.
Many people use the throttle control to learn their setup and then go back to manual control.

So I went out this morning to test out some BSR Double pink foams and a different wing. Nothing crazy. I do like how much better the pinks handle compared to the purple. So that’s promising.
So question @jondilly1974 What is your technique when using the throttle channel speed? Set it then full pull off the start? Or set it and still do a gradual pull. That’s what I’m trying to work on.

So I went out this morning to test out some BSR Double pink foams and a different wing. Nothing crazy. I do like how much better the pinks handle compared to the purple. So that’s promising.
So question @jondilly1974 What is your technique when using the throttle channel speed? Set it then full pull off the start? Or set it and still do a gradual pull. That’s what I’m trying to work on.
You aren’t using CH Speed if you don’t full pull.

Well today was a win some lose some type of day.
529AF758-D227-49AA-837A-7936F9FBA418.jpeg

I did have two successful runs on my BSR double pink foams at a consistent 130mph! And I used the channel speed feature finally! So I was pretty pleased with that.
FD75CDDF-EA7A-4539-BA62-B2835CD648D0.png
BAF28616-6192-414E-85F7-0278F3461D50.png

I wanted to try out this 1/5 Baja Rovan wing I had laying around. With those 2 passes I believe my wing wasn’t trimmed enough and created a little too much downforce. But she ran just as straight and stable as can be.

So I decided to put the factory trimmed wing on and try it again. Well that didn’t go as planned and she lost traction at 83mph and flipped a few times, eating up 2 of my foams. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Needless to say I ordered 2 new foams.

With all this being said. I trimmed my wing some more and hope to get back out there next weekend!
2D276801-621D-45FC-99FF-4131103EAD8B.jpeg
C22A396D-4FDC-4D64-94EE-F77798C866E6.jpeg
CADB7604-7AC6-4CA3-B6E7-A2AC1E307ED4.jpeg
970A7A34-FEAE-4B71-97E8-5366867C33FB.jpeg

Now can I still use these as back ups if need be??
1C73B836-7178-46E8-9C77-A743335D62CB.jpeg
B31C0FC8-8180-4BA3-AD49-737AE261FA08.jpeg

@LibertyMKiii and @jondilly1974 what are your thoughts on this!

Last edited:
Well today was a win some lose some type of day.View attachment 173444

I did have two successful runs on my BSR double pink foams at a consistent 130mph! And I used the channel speed feature finally! So I was pretty pleased with that.
View attachment 173450View attachment 173451

I wanted to try out this 1/5 Baja Rovan wing I had laying around. With those 2 passes I believe my wing wasn’t trimmed enough and created a little too much downforce. But she ran just as straight and stable as can be.

So I decided to put the factory trimmed wing on and try it again. Well that didn’t go as planned and she lost traction at 83mph and flipped a few times, eating up 2 of my foams. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Needless to say I ordered 2 new foams.

With all this being said. I trimmed my wing some more and hope to get back out there next weekend! View attachment 173445View attachment 173446View attachment 173447View attachment 173448

Now can I still use these as back ups if need be??View attachment 173442View attachment 173443

@LibertyMKiii and @jondilly1974 what are your thoughts on this!
I think if you turned them down enough they might be usable again. You will need a lathe or tire truer

I think if you turned them down enough they might be usable again. You will need a lathe or tire truer
Yeah I have neither! 🤣😂🤣 but in other news. How did my data look?? And am I correct in thinking the wing created too much downforce/drag?

Yeah I have neither! 🤣😂🤣 but in other news. How did my data look?? And am I correct in thinking the wing created too much downforce/drag?
I don’t see anything negative at all. I think the downforce is needed for foams, as you have found the hard way. When you get to the max for your setup you can tweak little things like wings then. Otherwise keep gearing up and making passes.

Echoing what Jon said downforce is a necessary evil.
You really need it for putting the power down. At high speeds you have 15+ lbs of force from the air trying to stop the car from accelerating more. This means you need a significant amount of downforce / grip to over power that.

Data looks amazing. Just remember when you add rear downforce you also need front downforce to balance it. This generally means splitter mods or cannards.

Echoing what Jon said downforce is a necessary evil.
You really need it for putting the power down. At high speeds you have 15+ lbs of force from the air trying to stop the car from accelerating more. This means you need a significant amount of downforce / grip to over power that.

Data looks amazing. Just remember when you add rear downforce you also need front downforce to balance it. This generally means splitter mods or cannards.
Right now I’m running the felony front splitter. It has a little more surface sticking out of the front then the stock infraction splitter. I just couldn’t believe that the wing knocked me down 4mph. But I see what your saying.

I may bump up a tooth or two on my pinion before my next run. I’ve been running the same pinion since the start of this thread.

I was pretty excited that I made 2 clean passes on those foams though. I switched from the purple to the double pink and it was a pretty good difference handling wise.

My next trip I may set my channel speed on 9 seconds and see how that goes. My previous passes was 8 seconds.

Last edited:
Wow man, I just read through this whole thread. Crazy impressive. Most of the technical discussions were totally Greek to me. I’ve always wanted to build up a dedicated speed runner, but I’ve found absolutely nowhere that I could run it. I don’t even have an on road car at all for the same reason. I’ll just live vicariously through @Flames77 , @LibertyMKiii , and @jondilly1974 Especially now that I’ve realized just how much ignorance I’d have to be relieved of to jump down this particular rabbit hole. Crazy, man. Nice work, all of you!

Wow man, I just read through this whole thread. Crazy impressive. Most of the technical discussions were totally Greek to me. I’ve always wanted to build up a dedicated speed runner, but I’ve found absolutely nowhere that I could run it. I don’t even have an on road car at all for the same reason. I’ll just live vicariously through @Flames77 , @LibertyMKiii , and @jondilly1974 Especially now that I’ve realized just how much ignorance I’d have to be relieved of to jump down this particular rabbit hole. Crazy, man. Nice work, all of you!
Appreciate the shout-out.
I don't have a road good for over 100mph within 1hr of me, which is why you don't see me posting speed run videos lately.
I do have a high speed build going on, but it will only see the pavement of the airport. ( if I can pull that off one day... )

Still love the hobby and always looking to help others. This speed side of the hobby was full of secrets and frustration when I began. I has since gotten better with the addition of people like Raz on YouTube. Many people would try speed running with a bad setup, crash, and quit! Crashes still happen, but good advice/proven setups really a person starting out avoid the big mistakes.

Once you get to 150+ there are still some big secrets.... and it requires being handy, making your own parts, and understanding aerodynamics.

Appreciate the shout-out.
I don't have a road good for over 100mph within 1hr of me, which is why you don't see me posting speed run videos lately.
I do have a high speed build going on, but it will only see the pavement of the airport. ( if I can pull that off one day... )

Still love the hobby and always looking to help others. This speed side of the hobby was full of secrets and frustration when I began. I has since gotten better with the addition of people like Raz on YouTube. Many people would try speed running with a bad setup, crash, and quit! Crashes still happen, but good advice/proven setups really a person starting out avoid the big mistakes.

Once you get to 150+ there are still some big secrets.... and it requires being handy, making your own parts, and understanding aerodynamics.
sooooooo....
i don't see any talbot beating speeds yet

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back