Finally pulled the trigger on an xmaxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC00603_compress42_resize_50.jpg

Enjoy it. One hell of a fun truck that takes a serious kicking. My Kraton EXB is almost as durable as it, but not quite. It handles surprisingly well for its size and suspension setup and doesn't traction roll often. Plenty fast out of the box on 8s but as others have said, you can make these go 65+ offroad with an 800kv motor.

Something I haven't seen anyone reccommend to you is the RPM hub carriers for the front and rear, the inner bearings are way too small on the stock ones, the bearings on mine went bad in the first few runs. RPM includes huge oversized bearings with thier hubs to fix that issue. Don't get RPM arms however, they rub the suspension and the pins slide out super easy. Traxxas HD arms are a way better upgrade option.

I'd also highly recommend the 2085x servo kit, out of the box the servo saver spring is pretty weak and it's hard for the truck to hold a turn under power. Plus, for some reason, the stock servo has plastic gears, lol. The 2085x kit gets you a faster servo with metal gears and a stiffer servo saver spring that greatly improves steering response.

Some people have issues with the pinion and spur gear breaking, I never really have but if you do Hot Racing and GDS make hardened spur gears and some good pinion brands would be Robinson Racing, Saga, Tekno, basically anything hardened steel.

TLDR: hubs, servo, gears, SEND

View attachment 114840

Enjoy it. One hell of a fun truck that takes a serious kicking. My Kraton EXB is almost as durable as it, but not quite. It handles surprisingly well for its size and suspension setup and doesn't traction roll often. Plenty fast out of the box on 8s but as others have said, you can make these go 65+ offroad with an 800kv motor.

Something I haven't seen anyone reccommend to you is the RPM hub carriers for the front and rear, the inner bearings are way too small on the stock ones, the bearings on mine went bad in the first few runs. RPM includes huge oversized bearings with thier hubs to fix that issue. Don't get RPM arms however, they rub the suspension and the pins slide out super easy. Traxxas HD arms are a way better upgrade option.

I'd also highly recommend the 2085x servo kit, out of the box the servo saver spring is pretty weak and it's hard for the truck to hold a turn under power. Plus, for some reason, the stock servo has plastic gears, lol. The 2085x kit gets you a faster servo with metal gears and a stiffer servo saver spring that greatly improves steering response.

Some people have issues with the pinion and spur gear breaking, I never really have but if you do Hot Racing and GDS make hardened spur gears and some good pinion brands would be Robinson Racing, Saga, Tekno, basically anything hardened steel.

TLDR: hubs, servo, gears, SEND
I agree 100% and have done 100% of everything you said!

guys why plastic x-maxx if you go big ?

Have you not seen my video at all?

Kraton 8s is better

guys why plastic x-maxx if you go big ?

Have you not seen my video at all?

Kraton 8s is better
Two different trucks, in my opinion x-maxx is better k8s seems a little over Engineered. Plastic flexes metal stays bent. I have a bit of both 50/50 to be exact, love them all. Just have fun lol break it fix it ... ehh what are gonna do!?

Two different trucks, in my opinion x-maxx is better k8s seems a little over Engineered. Plastic flexes metal stays bent. I have a bit of both 50/50 to be exact, love them all. Just have fun lol break it fix it ... ehh what are gonna do!?

They are same to me.
Two Large scale RC Cars.

IF you like buy new plastic after insane sending, then the plastic X-MAXX plastic chassies and other plastic things you need change alltime maybe is good ..., Then go X-MAXX :)

If you want one durable super hardcore basher you go Kraton With M2C and never need replace anything more. Only have fun.

Kraton is better choice to all hardcore bashers without doubt :)

Went to Hobby works in Laurel, MD earlier today. In their window, they have an xmaxx, outcast 8s, dbxle, and sbr 2.0.
I was surprised by how massive the o8s and sbr2.0 are in person, but had to pull the trigger on the xmaxx.

View attachment 113749
Nice rig brother (y) (y)

They are same to me.
Two Large scale RC Cars.

IF you like buy new plastic after insane sending, then the plastic X-MAXX plastic chassies and other plastic things you need change alltime maybe is good ..., Then go X-MAXX :)

If you want one durable super hardcore basher you go Kraton With M2C and never need replace anything more. Only have fun.

Kraton is better choice to all hardcore bashers without doubt :)
I already got the xmaxx so there’s no point in saying the k8 is better, I understand you’re opinion though.
I run mine with a max6, stock motor and 50/20 gearing. I love it.
Nice man. Just ordered a tekno 18t pinion, hot racing 50t spur, roof skid plate, and body savers.

Got to open her finally today!

DF6CFAA5-19A8-4362-8C52-8CFC988A2288.jpeg

One question though, when I first took it out of the box and rolled it, it made an awful gear noise. I loosened these four screws that hold in the Cush drive to where it’s not as tight but also not loose and it took the noise away somewhat. It was the Cush drive gear that was making contact with the center diff gear which made that noise, like they were meshed to close almost. Anyone able to help?

Attachments

• 7D02DAD2-11AD-438A-B4EF-1E632F0EA8EA.jpeg
    7D02DAD2-11AD-438A-B4EF-1E632F0EA8EA.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 64
Don't buy Xmaxx! ?
Ok I wont buy an Xmaxx. I really wont. Im convinced. Really I am. Not lying. Its old plastic I understand now.;):eek:

To refer to my previous post, it’s like this video:
There is definitely something wrong with the truck in this video, however as long as yours rolls without the wheels locking up it's fine. The gears in the xmaxx are definitely super loud and it's hard to adjust the mesh manually as it's set by a pin system under the motor mount. The screws on the spur shaft cover need to be tight otherwise the shaft will deflect and your spur will move out of place causing your gears to strip.

There is definitely something wrong with the truck in this video, however as long as yours rolls without the wheels locking up it's fine. The gears in the xmaxx are definitely super loud and it's hard to adjust the mesh manually as it's set by a pin system under the motor mount. The screws on the spur shaft cover need to be tight otherwise the shaft will deflect and your spur will move out of place causing your gears to strip.
I ditched the pin system already and adjusted the pinion and spur gear mesh good. I’m just confused as to why the Cush drive smaller gear is making an awful noise with the center diff gear when the cover is tightened down good. It it supossed to do that?

Looks really nice. I bet when the screws are tight on that housing it is tightening the mesh some how. Kind of how you sometimes need to leave pinion mesh tight or loose before you tighten down your Arrma motor mount for it to be perfect. Maybe head over to the Traxxas forum for a quicker response. Be patient, I bet most are out playing with their new toys. That will get sorted, rarely is something a one time problem. I’m sure others have had it and there’s a solution.

Guys running the X-Maxx on 6s and not on 8s are the guys saying they are not problematic in stock form. FWIW.
Running on 8s exclusively and its issues surface pretty fast. And needs to be upgraded. Just like many other RC rigs in that scale.

Guys running the X-Maxx on 6s and not on 8s are the guys saying they are not problematic in stock form. FWIW.
Running on 8s exclusively and its issues surface pretty fast. And needs to be upgraded. Just like many other RC rigs in that scale.
The original 6s Xmaxx version I could see that comment , but the new 8s Xmaxx as long as you leave stock , I know many people having great success . Mine is 3 years old and has always ran on 8s , never any problems . Still has all its stock electronics to boot .

Went to Hobby works in Laurel, MD earlier today. In their window, they have an xmaxx, outcast 8s, dbxle, and sbr 2.0.
I was surprised by how massive the o8s and sbr2.0 are in person, but had to pull the trigger on the xmaxx.

View attachment 113749
Have any videos up yet of this beast brother?

View attachment 113749
That’s awesome! Enjoy! I still miss my T-Maxx that was stolen off my driveway. Traxxas makes some good stuff.
Hey I’m in Baltimore County...where do you like to go run your trucks in Maryland?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back