Limitless Finding the 200 mph motor for the Limitless/Infraction GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As @ABabyEater mentioned its a torque difference as to why. Remember we are comparing a 180mph motor vs a 190mph motor. That is around a 5% difference.

There was mention of Neu motors. The issue is that they only really have good options for 40mm motors. Their motors are more efficient and tent to net about a 2-5% increase in output. Their larger motors are not made for high rpm use.

For now the 56mm and 58mm diameter motors from TP Power seem to be the best. I still don't know what motor James had in his top speed car. It was all black and did not have the same end caps as TP Power.

If you are going to spend money on a motor, for now I would say focus on the TP 1/5 scale motors and shop in the 1100-1400kv range. Unless you have a big budget and want to try the MGM & Lehner combo.
What are your thoughts on combining a low-KV motor with a Neu planetary shaft transmission to greatly increase RPM before hitting the primary gearing?

Do we know which motor James ran in his 196 run? I believe it's a TP5670, but what I find interesting is the different winding options. All the TP CM motors are D-wind and all the Castle ones are wye. You can also get the TP motors as wye which is in theory worse for speed running but maybe it's better for the XLX2. From all the guys that hit over 180, I know some of them are 100% wye-wind, don't know of any d-wind motors. Although the motor James used is probably a D-wind, but can't say for sure.

What are your thoughts on combining a low-KV motor with a Neu planetary shaft transmission to greatly increase RPM before hitting the primary gearing?
Certainly possible and I don't think anyone has tried it yet...

Do we know which motor James ran in his 196 run? I believe it's a TP5670, but what I find interesting is the different winding options. All the TP CM motors are D-wind and all the Castle ones are wye. You can also get the TP motors as wye which is in theory worse for speed running but maybe it's better for the XLX2. From all the guys that hit over 180, I know some of them are 100% wye-wind, don't know of any d-wind motors. Although the motor James used is probably a D-wind, but can't say for sure.

Could be a TP Power if he painted/coated it black. Hard to say....

1643049974863.png

1643050010634.png

Generic TP Power 56mm motor image.
1643050090780.png

Interesting how batteries would react to such a change in load vs normal curve. Yet, adding another gearbox is just adding more inefficiency.

I'd rather explore ~motor rpm = wheel rpm, reducing rpm on the whole drivetrain. Like what GP5 diffs do, but more extreme.
The TP CM's are made for high rpm, brute power above efficiency. Other than that D-wind is cheaper to produce, they give more kv per winding, thus all highest rpm motors are d-winds. They could certainly launch a wye CM product, but it's specs would not match the current CM line.

Interesting how batteries would react to such a change in load vs normal curve. Yet, adding another gearbox is just adding more inefficiency.

I'd rather explore ~motor rpm = wheel rpm, reducing rpm on the whole drivetrain. Like what GP5 diffs do, but more extreme.

Thus the Hobao VTE 2 with the optional 2.66 diffs may be our best current option with ARTR vehicles and off the shelf parts.

Batteries would be an interesting, and integral part of the whole thing. Additionally space required along the length of the motor with the addition gearbox may be an issue. Mechanical energy loss through straight cut gears in a direct drive (pinion/spur) with properly sized teeth is in the realm of 99%+ efficiency. I see the concern with adding another geared point, but if the power increase is 3% or more I can't imagine any noticeable negative effect on power transmission.

Agreed, but I don't know of any better diff ratio that can be applied. We can already hit 1:1 final drive ratio, and even exceed it, but iirc the issue is maintaining that at a higher KV motor that can still deliver the power needed to reach 200+ in a "factory" aerodynamic setup.

Certainly possible and I don't think anyone has tried it yet...

Could be a TP Power if he painted/coated it black. Hard to say....

View attachment 194983

View attachment 194985

Generic TP Power 56mm motor image.
View attachment 194986
Almost 100% certain that it's a TP. Maybe from the boat line, since those are entirely black I believe or a custom made one? But it would be super interesting to know if it was indeed d-wind.

The TP CM's are made for high rpm, brute power above efficiency. Other than that D-wind is cheaper to produce, they give more kv per winding, thus all highest rpm motors are d-winds. They could certainly launch a wye CM product, but it's specs would not match the current CM line.
Yep D-winds have a higher KV with the same amount of windings. But it would be super interesting to see the same motor one D and one Wye with different gearing to accommodate the KV difference and also one D and one Wye with similar KV. Maybe one works better than the other especially with the XLX2.

I seem to recall some statement from Castle that the XLX2 was optimized for wye wind motors, and that while it would work for delta wind, they wouldn't be nearly as efficient and would wear out the XLX2 faster.

Agreed, but I don't know of any better diff ratio that can be applied. We can already hit 1:1 final drive ratio, and even exceed it, but iirc the issue is maintaining that at a higher KV motor that can still deliver the power needed to reach 200+ in a "factory" aerodynamic setup.
RPM synced hub motors, that's 1:1 ;)
Thus the Hobao VTE 2 with the optional 2.66 diffs may be our best current option with ARTR vehicles and off the shelf parts.
2.66 is definately a jump up from the 2.8 GP5's, then again the VTE 2 still needs a solution to fit 56-58 motors to actually make use of it

I seem to recall some statement from Castle that the XLX2 was optimized for wye wind motors, and that while it would work for delta wind, they wouldn't be nearly as efficient and would wear out the XLX2 faster.
They have an update for d-wind motors and it definitely helps a lot in terms of efficiency. But since all Castle motors are wye, it would make sense that these work better
Yep it looks quite similar, not sure if Neu has 56mm motors though. Maybe it was a custom made one..

Obviously any company making esc's and motors will optimize them on what they sell themselves.

Think if tp came out with a 46mm 113mm long motor. TP4680CM 1850KV..6AWG MOTOR LEADS ..200MPH MOTOR???I think 46mm 4 pole is the key..🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
That would be it right there!
The came out with the 5670cm so I can only assume they will work on a 5680cm in the future

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back