Fire Extinguisher consideration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
With my new shed /workshop coming together, I figure I need to be able to put out electrical fires should I end up so unfortunate. I'm looking at this /rechargeable one at Amazon that uses monoammonium Phosphate extinguishing agent. Others use sodium bicarbonate for a couple bucks less cost.

Any of you guys have any insight into what to look for or experience choosing a suitable extinguisher?

Cool work space for sure. Sky light (y). Talk to your local fire dept. and see what they recommend, they love that stuff.

Shop looks great! I keep 3 of the MP types in the house and the garage. My first was a prize through a local fire department, so I always purchased the same type when shopping for new ones.

When you say electrical fire, do you mean a lipo battery - or just in general? I ask because a "normal" fire extinguisher won't be able to put out a lipo fire.

With my new shed /workshop coming together, I figure I need to be able to put out electrical fires should I end up so unfortunate. I'm looking at this /rechargeable one at Amazon that uses monoammonium Phosphate extinguishing agent. Others use sodium bicarbonate for a couple bucks less cost.

Any of you guys have any insight into what to look for or experience choosing a suitable extinguisher?

View attachment 29171View attachment 29172

shed is pretty cool.... the best way to stop a fire is by not having one..

shed is pretty cool.... the best way to stop a fire is by not having one..
I understand this. So many people make plans for putting out fires but neglect the plan to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place. And the fire I speak of is proverbial in my line of work.
Nonetheless, I figure it's better I be prepared and would rather spend $30 with a gift card now than make an insurance claim later. After all, I'm wiring this shed up myself. lol

I guess another thing to think about, since that's an enclosed area . . . if you did have a lipo fire, you'd probably want to boogie pretty quick - they generate hazardous gas.

Ok, yeah for lipo you need a special type of fire extinguisher, I think it' a "Class D" type.

I'd check with the fire department, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you exactly what is best.
Good advice. I'm in a small town and Fire Stations are near and less busy than elsewhere I imagine.
I'll go in there and ask those guys for sure. I know they'd prolly be into why I'm asking and maybe even get something gratis.

Good advice. I'm in a small town and Fire Stations are near and less busy than elsewhere I imagine.
I'll go in there and ask those guys for sure. I know they'd prolly be into why I'm asking and maybe even get something gratis.
Bonus is that the Fire Department that would probably be contacted to handle a fire at my home is also pretty much in charge of the single skate park we have. Two miles or so from home. The skatepark rules say nothing but skateboards but I bet I can work that out with food trade etc.
Fire Department right across the street from the park.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...8a5d6053acfe49a!8m2!3d30.500421!4d-90.4619207

They're a bit expensive but completely serviceable and rechargeable, so once you make the initial investment, and heaven forbid you have to discharge it, they're only 20 or so bucks to completely service, refill and put back into service.

We had construction going on about 3 years ago and a careless worker with cutting torch ignited 70 year old tar covered roof joists.

Within less than 5 minutes we went from "someone go fetch a fire extinguisher" to all hands on deck, we've got a serious fire on our hands.

It took 17 ten pound exstishers, 2 twenty pounders and about 15 minutes to get it under control.
Technically the fire department put it out but we knocked 90% of it down by the time they arrived.

They're a bit expensive but completely serviceable and rechargeable, so once you make the initial investment, and heaven forbid you have to discharge it, they're only 20 or so bucks to completely service, refill and put back into service.

We had construction going on about 3 years ago and a careless worker with cutting torch ignited 70 year old tar covered roof joists.

View attachment 29265

Within less than 5 minutes we went from "someone go fetch a fire extinguisher" to all hands on deck, we've got a serious fire on our hands.
View attachment 29266
It took 17 ten pound exstishers, 2 twenty pounders and about 15 minutes to get it under control.
Technically the fire department put it out but we knocked 90% of it down by the time they arrived.
Wow! Having that much help on hand is strong. Scary to see.

It was a frightening situation to be in

lucky we had enough people and extinguishers on hand or I'm confident we would have lost that section of the building completely

View attachment 29171View attachment 29172
Are the cages to the right in your first photo for your Arrma trucks? They are beasts!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back