Fireteam Fireteam Motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I am very happy with the FT stock 2050kv motor and stock pinion since June.

I have an RCP fan on it and a temp display. Yesterday was a "rare" 77F, and the max motor temp hit 149F. Not bad but it's not summer. My bashing style is not jumping... more dirt, small hills over the golf course, etc. Yesterday from start to end full throttle no stops between, no mid-throttle...FT is so well balanced flipping is not an issue. I got a little over 10min and LVC hits and as stated 149F on motor ESC in 90's. Added fresh batteries and at it again.

What motor are you all running? Future goal is seeking what motor will give me lower temps keeping the same performance. I do not want a 4985-1650KV that is in my Kraton so in there something in the middle between that and the stock motor to run cooler than stock.

Thx

BTW: I am sure if I stopped between those runs, it's all good since that is what happens when I bash with friends the motor is well below 149F. A lot of talking while the car sits and cools before we bash again. Just keeping my options open here.

Picture change since I was blasted on it, LOL
1677188733105.png

Last edited:
I have a Hobbystar 4092 that I will be putting in with a Max6 this week. Pretty much doing it so temps aren't a problem once warm weather moves in. Weather will be too cold and icy for me to run it until Sunday, but looking forward to seeing what it can do.

149° ain’t bad, see if you can keep the current setup (if you like it) when it gets hot out. You already have an earthmover fan on your motor, although I’m not a fan of that “heat sink” fan mount from Integy. I swear they trap heat. I went to Powerhobby fan mounts and love them.

I’m running the Spektrum 1250 so I don’t have to worry about temps

The 1650 was getting hot quickly

I don’t think the 150 / 2050 is ideal for this big heavy rig

Pretty sure that motor fan could cool my house down.

Yes!
Hook it up to a Venturi Bladeless Turbine and it just might do it!!

I ran this in my Fireteam for a little while and it was great. Good middle ground between stock and 4985. It would be hard to find a better value.

SURPASS HOBBY Rocket 4092 1650KV Brushless Sensorless Motor Shaft 5mm for 1/8 RC Car https://a.co/d/1GBimzR

You all are killing me on the fan...I'll zoom out next time, :LOL:

I have a Hobbystar 4092 that I will be putting in with a Max6 this week. Pretty much doing it so temps aren't a problem once warm weather moves in. Weather will be too cold and icy for me to run it until Sunday, but looking forward to seeing what it can do.

What kv do you have in mind to try with that motor?

149° ain’t bad, see if you can keep the current setup (if you like it) when it gets hot out. You already have an earthmover fan on your motor, although I’m not a fan of that “heat sink” fan mount from Integy. I swear they trap heat. I went to Powerhobby fan mounts and love them.

Thx Boss. I'm not in love with the mount either but I was looking for a mount that fits around the 40mm motor, and that one does well for bashing and does not move in that aspect. I always use PH mounts but have always been told here when the motor has ribs then I use my PH mount to blow across the ribs. Since this one and ones are smooth, I place them on a mount from what I am told, blowing across it better when it has ribs. I have spares of the PH mounts 🤷‍♂️

I ran this in my Fireteam for a little while and it was great. Good middle ground between stock and 4985. It would be hard to find a better value.

SURPASS HOBBY Rocket 4092 1650KV Brushless Sensorless Motor Shaft 5mm for 1/8 RC Car https://a.co/d/1GBimzR

Thx for this info. I put a Surpass in my BigRock BLX to lower temps and keep the same power as well as my Losi DB Pro. So I am a fan of that brand....good info (y)

Change up the pic

4092-1650/1730kV is optimal in xlwb, best balance in weight/power dynamics.

Still reviewing... but looks like you all are selling me on the 4092-1730kv for the FT (y)

What kv do you have in mind to try with that motor?

I bought the 4092 1480kv back around Christmas. Really wanted the 1730kv but it was out of stock.

Just looked at the rcjuice.com site and saw Hobbystar has released an updated V2 line of their 1/8 scale motors. The new one is listed as 4292 instead of the old 4092. The new version comes in 1030, 1300, 1500, and 1780kv options and now also includes a temperature sensor for thermal protection.

Do you guys worry about such long motors not being supported in the back? I like the shorter motors personally, seems like with all that weight back there its going to take something out..

I bought the 4092 1480kv back around Christmas. Really wanted the 1730kv but it was out of stock.

Just looked at the rcjuice.com site and saw Hobbystar has released an updated V2 line of their 1/8 scale motors. The new one is listed as 4292 instead of the old 4092. The new version comes in 1030, 1300, 1500, and 1780kv options and now also includes a temperature sensor for thermal protection.

Thx for pointing that out. I will review it. I think a 42mm motor should still fit the FT stock mount, right?

I would think the 42mm is fine, I've not heard anyone having issues with the Hobbywing 4278 motors fitting the stock mount on 6s rigs.

As for the 92mm length, yes, the long motor is a lot of mass for the motor mount and shaft and can bend on hard landings without support. I bought a support and can't remember where I ordered it from, but also ran across this a couple of days ago and bookmarked it, its a full length motor support:

RC Motor Saver

Do you guys worry about such long motors not being supported in the back? I like the shorter motors personally, seems like with all that weight back there its going to take something out..
Good call out. I only do this for the 4985 motor where it was called out wish I did it for all motors if I knew the o-ring size. Added a big o-ring on back of the Kraton HW motor based on what you said. Helps to support the back on the chassis.

1677194672643.png

Thx for pointing that out. I will review it. I think a 42mm motor should still fit the FT stock mount, right?
The old motors also measured 4292. Same dimensions as the new motors.

I have no idea why they are called 4092 everywhere you look.

I am using this Integy mount on all my 36mm and 40mm motors. It doesn't trap heat, it actually does a good job directing the flow over the motor.

I am using this Integy mount on all my 36mm and 40mm motors. It doesn't trap heat, it actually does a good job directing the flow over the motor.
After I posted that I looked at an old truck (Rustler) that still had the similar fan mount, but it’s not Integy. I thought it was, but I stand corrected, I think it’s an AliExpress special. It doesn’t allow much air over the motor at all, it mostly seems to just allow the fan to cool the heat sink. So I guess I’ve never actually tried the Integy mounts.

Look at the Hobbywing 4278. A little bit more Kv and a bigger can to keep it cooler and have more torque.

After I posted that I looked at an old truck (Rustler) that still had the similar fan mount, but it’s not Integy. I thought it was, but I stand corrected, I think it’s an AliExpress special. It doesn’t allow much air over the motor at all, it mostly seems to just allow the fan to cool the heat sink. So I guess I’ve never actually tried the Integy mounts.
That happens 🙂
Two things that initially made me weary of buying these mounts.
First Integy somehow has a bad name and second, i don't believe heat sinks are any good on a rc motor system, because they add a lot more material to cool.
But i have some other Integy parts on my Slashes that work flawlessly and when i held these mounts in my hands at an LHS, i saw that they are clamps with some cleverly placed slots to direct the airflow. I gave it a try and was impressed enough to buy more of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back