Fireteam Talion XL from Fireteam MT build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Was gonna do a little upgrade or 2 and keep it neat and organized. An hour later I realized I will be doing multiple upgrades at once. 🙄🤣🤣

So far I've added basherqueen towers, m2c chassis braces and a X6FG receiver.

Will be adding the following;
Max 6 esc with 1480kv Hobbystar 4092
30kg servo and aluminum servo mount
Hot Racing aluminum servo horn
M2c shock standoffs
M2c droopscrews
Hot racing front gearbox
Hot Racing sway bar covers

It's all a mess right now, but will be finished soon. Now its Upgreyedd time, lol.

20230225_200158.jpg

Edit: title changed since this turned into an XLWB Talion build. Here's the current build:
20230904_140443.jpg

Last edited:
Was gonna do a little upgrade or 2 and keep it neat and organized. An hour later I realized I will be doing multiple upgrades at once. 🙄🤣🤣

So far I've added basherqueen towers, m2c chassis braces and a X6FG receiver.

Will be adding the following;
Max 6 esc with 1480kv Hobbystar 4092
30kg servo and aluminum servo mount
Hot Racing aluminum servo horn
M2c shock standoffs
M2c droopscrews
Hot racing front gearbox
Hot Racing sway bar covers

It's all a mess right now, but it will get done sooner or later.

View attachment 281156
You mentioned the HR gearbox, for not much more I’d highly recommend the ScorchedRC diff carrier, they are built tough! Secondarily, since you already have the BQ towers, the BQ diff carriers are quite nice :cool:. My build has the ScorchedRC carriers if you want to see them on the truck.

I see you’ve got the M2C front brace in there, did you have any fitment issues? It was just a little too short on mine, and the angle was too obtuse. If I attached it without the top plate it stood up above the steering post mounts, and I had to force it to fit on the top plate. Once I did that it created binding on the front driveshaft. I’m curious if you have the same experience.

Last edited:
Progress!!! My hands have been less reliable lately due to 3 different vertebrae in my neck compressing nerves. I'll be working with pain management in about 5 weeks but until then I still need to bash!🤣
This probably would have taken a couple hours before my hand issues but took about 6 hours. Sucks while I'm doing it but darn it feels rewarding to make it to a good stopping point and see things looking good!😁

Quick question. I have the 1480kv Hobbystar 4092. I'm going to put the 42t spur gear on the center diff, what pinion would be a good starting point? I have pretty much everything from 18t to 30t on hand to choose from. I was thinking 22t to start. I'll mostly be running it like a light duty rock racer over pretty rough terrain.😎

20230226_131521.jpg

Progress!!! My hands have been less reliable lately due to 3 different vertebrae in my neck compressing nerves. I'll be working with pain management in about 5 weeks but until then I still need to bash!🤣
This probably would have taken a couple hours before my hand issues but took about 6 hours. Sucks while I'm doing it but darn it feels rewarding to make it to a good stopping point and see things looking good!😁

Quick question. I have the 1480kv Hobbystar 4092. I'm going to put the 42t spur gear on the center diff, what pinion would be a good starting point? I have pretty much everything from 18t to 30t on hand to choose from. I was thinking 22t to start. I'll mostly be running it like a light duty rock racer over pretty rough terrain.😎

View attachment 281321
I don't know the stock spur size offhand but I was watching RC Dude81 with the same motor and he was running a 22T pinion was killing it. At the end of the video he said he wants a bit more speed will get a 23. 22 looked fast enough for my taste.

I plan to get that same motor and kv when I get to my next 20 pack service I want a bit cooler motor over the stock I'm cool with the stock speed tho.

Correction, it's a 46t spur gear I'll be using, stock is 50t. Went ahead and put the 22t pinion on and have a motor supprt for the long can. Mesh is set, Max6, motor, and servo powers up and operates properly.

Need to stop by the lhs tomorrow afternoon and get some 500k for the center diff, running 100k center now with 30k front & 20k rear. Should have it bash ready in a couple of days.

20230226_154504.jpg

20230226_160355.jpg

Correction, it's a 46t spur gear I'll be using, stock is 50t. Went ahead and put the 22t pinion on and have a motor supprt for the long can. Mesh is set, Max6, motor, and servo powers up and operates properly.

Need to stop by the lhs tomorrow afternoon and get some 500k for the center diff, running 100k center now with 30k front & 20k rear. Should have it bash ready in a couple of days.

View attachment 281398

View attachment 281399

Sir this is beautiful!

As posted, I want this motor for my next change and thx for posting this pic. This is a LONG motor so where did you get that support for this specific motor to support the end?

Thx

BTW:

All the motors I have with the rotor showing in the rear. I place a nice sticker over it to keep the dirt out the motor and that bearing at the back of the motor

Sir this is beautiful!

As posted, I want this motor for my next change and thx for posting this pic. This is a LONG motor so where did you get that support for this specific motor to support the end?

Thx

BTW:

All the motors I have with the rotor showing in the rear. I place a nice sticker over it to keep the dirt out the motor and that bearing at the back of the motor
Good advice! I do this to every exposed rear bearing I have. If you are worried about residue, two layers of painters tape works well.

Woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep, decided wtf, might as well work on my rig. :ROFLMAO:

Installed the HR aluminum gearbox, aluminum suspension pin braces, M2C shock standoffs, replaced bushings with bearings in bellcrank. Just a few things left to do until its bash ready, biggest thing is waiting on 500k diff fluid to be delivered. Don't think I need to mount the fans yet, its still cool and wet outside so temps shouldn't be an issue since I'll be on rougher terrain that makes me keep the throttle lower than I normally would. I've got 2 40mm rocket fans ready to go should I need them.

20230228_181156.jpg

20230301_042326.jpg

Got the 500k so now I can get the center diff setup and just a few mods to the body and I'll be ready to bash.

Got a set of Backflip LPswhen I bought this, got a massive dirt parking lot nearby that should be a riot with this thing, especially with a little less weight. The Backflips LP save 9.8 ounces over the stock tires!

20230301_144245.jpg

20230301_144325.jpg

😖😖😖
No, the servo isn't a tight fit. I was trying to mount it sideways!!! 😆
Hey it was my first time working on the Fireteam servo, I'm used to the Typhon! Took a minute when I tried to put the center diff and dogbones in to stop yelling at it and see what I had done...🙄🤣

Woohoo!! Finally got it done, it will be Friday or Saturday for the first bash with the new goodies, should be awesome! Still have some body work to cover the open spots where I removed the figures to save more weight. Also got some LED lights I've been thinking of putting to good use...🤔😄

20230301_222026.jpg

20230301_222228.jpg

20230301_223415.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to add some custom doors. Cut them from a clear polycarbonate sheet and did some flames and stripes. I used Tamiya polycarbonate rattle cans with black, gun metal and copper. Will get them attached soon along with a couple of other goodies.😎

20230314_191125.jpg

OK, the doors and stock body have been set aside for another time. Found a full length truck body that seems like it was made for the Fireteam or Kraton XL! After I realized it fit last night, I went crazy getting it prepped and masked so I can paint today, weather is supposed to be 60 and sunny!
Pics will be posted this afternoon or tonight!😁

OK, the doors and stock body have been set aside for another time. Found a full length truck body that seems like it was made for the Fireteam or Kraton XL! After I realized it fit last night, I went crazy getting it prepped and masked so I can paint today, weather is supposed to be 60 and sunny!
Pics will be posted this afternoon or tonight!😁
So which body is it? 👀

HPI racing 110238 GTXL-1 vintage body savage xl

I found it on amazon for 35 bucks, sanded it a bit and painted it
don't try and clean it with brakeclean before paint though....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back