Firma 150a only works on 3s, not 4s or 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellyrollqfmx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here...I have the complete Arrma 6s V5 collection... All with stock Firma 150a ESC and 2050kv motor. My Kraton 6s V5 was purchased used and I'm having a somewhat KNOWN issue (green light flashes and no armed cell count beeps once turned on, steering works but no throttle) but with an extra observation. I tried using a different servo (solution for some) with no luck and to disconnect and reconnect motor wires with no luck...after some troubleshooting myself, I discovered that the ESC works perfectly fine with a single 3s pack connected, but it won't work as described above with 4s or 6s whether one pack or two (2s or 3s) packs in series. Is the ESC dead? I obviously don't have a warranty, but it's strange that it will work on 3s only.

Can you enter the setting mode? If so, perhaps check that the programming isn't selected to run as 3s only? Not sure what happens if you plug in 4s or 6s worth of lipos when that program option is set, but i'd suspect it acts like overvoltage protection and just prevents the ESC from functioning.

I'd first start by validating the programming option didn't somehow get switched to that.
1679329698029.png

Can you enter the setting mode? If so, perhaps check that the programming isn't selected to run as 3s only? Not sure what happens if you plug in 4s or 6s worth of lipos when that program option is set, but i'd suspect it acts like overvoltage protection and just prevents the ESC from functioning.

I'd first start by validating the programming option didn't somehow get switched to that.
Is that even a possible setting... to set up for 3s only? I can only enter programming mode on 3s, or if the motor leads are disconnected on 4s and 6s... Thanks for the quick response

View attachment 286880
I think that’s just for LVC. It shouldn’t matter here.
Is that even a possible setting... to set up for 3s only? I can only enter programming mode on 3s, or if the motor leads are disconnected on 4s and 6s... Thanks for the quick response
Now that’s weird. Have you tried a different motor?

the motor leads are disconnected on 4s and 6s...
Interesting. Do you have another motor to check it with? Also, you can power on and program an esc using a 3s battery with no issue.

The way overvoltage works on most ESCs is that it just shuts the ESC off when you try to start it, won't let anything work. That's why I suspect that might be the case here. Plug in a 3s lipo, go down through the programming options i added above, and see what it's set to.
I think that’s just for LVC. It shouldn’t matter here.

Now that’s weird. The motor leads being disconnected shouldn’t impact anything here. Have you tried a different motor?
Could be. I've never messed with it (always leave it on "auto calc" TBH), so it's worth validating it didn't somehow get randomly switched.

Yes but another 2050kv Spektrum
Try it out. Then you’ll know if the motor is causing issues. I’m not sure how it would but it’s an easy check. Hell, I know servos can cause esc glitching, perhaps motors can as well.

Yep, rebind/recalibrate/verify all settings with a program card. My v5 150A ESCs wouldn’t even work on 3S so a mosfet may be junk

I presume all 4/6S batteries function in other rigs.

I have tried it out with another motor. The batteries work in other vehicles.
If resetting and reprogramming doesn’t work along with all else you tried, sounds like it’s toast then.

After more tests, I tried the ESC with a 3s pack and it would work until I got to about 40% throttle, then it would die and agree a few seconds you could hear the ESC resetting with the 3 beeps to arm it every time. Happened maybe 5 or 6 times, then I gave up. I'm guessing the ESC is done and can't handle the current needed to get the rpms up. Thanks for your support and ideas...

After more tests, I tried the ESC with a 3s pack and it would work until I got to about 40% throttle, then it would die and agree a few seconds you could hear the ESC resetting with the 3 beeps to arm it every time. Happened maybe 5 or 6 times, then I gave up. I'm guessing the ESC is done and can't handle the current needed to get the rpms up. Thanks for your support and ideas...
It was worth trying. The 150 ESC does not have the best reputation. At least yours didn’t suddenly flame up, like mine and many others have.

That sucks. Been there as well when the firma 150a ESC caught fire in my kraton EXB. No warranty since I bought it off of jennys.

The good news is that just about everything else you can stick in there is an upgrade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back