Firma 160 and firma 1250kv cogging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodaggy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
Long story short my kraton 8s cogs occasionally. All stock other than 23t pinion. It seems to go away when using my smc lipo with a 20t pinion. Does it randomly when using 23t pinion. Temps are all good. Here is a vid.

Just the bigger pinion
So when I switched to a 20t pinion, it still cogged with my rhino 6200mah 50c lipo, but not with my smc. Could it be an amperage issue on both gear? Only noticable with the smc 7200 on the 23t but not the 20t because of the higher amperage requirement?

Just the bigger pinion
Some people run all the way up 25t pinions, with only heat issues, so this has me baffled.
So I put in my spare firma160 esc and same issue. I dropped the punch to 3 again to see and it still persists. The issue is either not all firma160 are created the same, or all my batteries aren't up to par, or there is an issue with my motor. I guess when I buy a max5 combo I'll post my results

It doesn't seem that bad. All of my trucks cog to some extent when I gear them up. The Max5 Dynamite Fuze 56114 800kv combo I ran with a 44t was unbearable.

It doesn't seem that bad. All of my trucks cog to some extent when I gear them up. The Max5 Dynamite Fuze 56114 800kv combo I ran with a 44t was unbearable.
That vid is probably when it is at the worst. If I'm flying around the yard it hits hard when i bury the trigger and doesn't cog at all in motion. Only from a dead stop, on occasion.

That vid is probably when it is at the worst. If I'm flying around the yard it hits hard when i bury the trigger and doesn't cog at all in motion. Only from a dead stop, on occasion.
I'd say that's normal.

Did your K8S ever do that with higher gearing and the max 5 esc? Thanks

No but I changed motors when I changed to the Max5. Check that. I did run the stock motor with the Max5 and a 23t pinion. I didn't have any issues with cogging.

No but I changed motors when I changed to the Max5. Check that. I did run the stock motor with the Max5 and a 23t pinion. I didn't have any issues with cogging.
The weight of the K8S might be a bit too much for the stock esc then and higher gearing then. It doesn't really like the 23t pinion. I'm experiencing LVC like behavior after only like 5 minutes of run time on grass currently. I'll try the 21t pinion next. From a dead spot it kind of does that cogging thing too with 23t pinion on mine. Max 5. Is that a direct fit? Thanks. Oh yeah, only like 12 minutes of run time too with that tall gearing ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back