Firmware updating Hobbywing & Spektrum ESCs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yas

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
Hi there all, I'm thinking of investing in a program box (or two) to update my current and maybe future Hobbywing and Spektrum ESCs. More gizmos for me to play with ?

The Hobbywing ESCs I currently have are all EZRUN and are the Max6, Max10 and Max10 SCT. I also have the rebranded BLX185 and BLX100 (it'll be great if I can update these too but I doubt it)

- For these ESCs, I think I would need to buy the Hobbywing XERUN-EZRUN Multifunction program box (HW30502000014):
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=376983

The Spektrum ESCs I currently have is just the one Firma 150A smart ESC (for now at least)

- For this and any Firma ESC, I think I would need to buy the Spektrum Avian & Firma Smart ESC program box (SPMXCA200):
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=443841

But the question is, do I need both? They both look like the same unit, so could I use just one of these program boxes with BOTH Hobbywing AND Spektrum PC software?

P.s. whilst on the subject of updating things, I have Spektrum smart/telemetry enabled DX5s and receivers all round. I have updated all of these TXs and RXs using the Spektrum AS3X programming cable (SPMA3065) and Spektrum PC software to take advantage of all the available data ?

Cheers

Hi there all, I'm thinking of investing in a program box (or two) to update my current and maybe future Hobbywing and Spektrum ESCs. More gizmos for me to play with ?

The Hobbywing ESCs I currently have are all EZRUN and are the Max6, Max10 and Max10 SCT. I also have the rebranded BLX185 and BLX100 (it'll be great if I can update these too but I doubt it)

- For these ESCs, I think I would need to buy the Hobbywing XERUN-EZRUN Multifunction program box (HW30502000014):
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=376983

The Spektrum ESCs I currently have is just the one Firma 150A smart ESC (for now at least)

- For this and any Firma ESC, I think I would need to buy the Spektrum Avian & Firma Smart ESC program box (SPMXCA200):
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=443841

But the question is, do I need both? They both look like the same unit, so could I use just one of these program boxes with BOTH Hobbywing AND Spektrum PC software?

P.s. whilst on the subject of updating things, I have Spektrum smart/telemetry enabled DX5s and receivers all round. I have updated all of these TXs and RXs using the Spektrum AS3X programming cable (SPMA3065) and Spektrum PC software to take advantage of all the available data ?

Cheers
I have the Spektrum one and it worked for HW and Spektrum ESCs, you just need to install both softwares :)

I have the Spektrum one and it worked for HW and Spektrum ESCs, you just need to install both softwares :)
Awesome!! Thanks very much! ? Somehow the Spektrum one is a bit more expensive but my guess is they do the exact same job. Unless if the Spektrum one has smart or telemetry settings the Hobbywing one doesn't?

Awesome!! Thanks very much! ? Somehow the Spektrum one is a bit more expensive but my guess is they do the exact same job. Unless if the Spektrum one has smart or telemetry settings the Hobbywing one doesn't?
They should be the same once you plug them into the PC, but not 100% sure though :D

What do you mean by
Do you mean install both programs on my PC? Because I have them both installed, and my Spektrum card will not connect to my hobbywing ESCs.

I use a basic HW prog card for my Older BLX185's. On my HW XR8+ I use The WIFI Express module. I just use the HW App on my phone and it updates the ESC F/W etc. and gives me access to a data log as well as settings.. Data log is not as robust as CC ESC's though.
The WiFI APP is for Ezrun and Zerun HW ESC's only. Not Quickrun ESC's. The cheaper Quickruns were the relabled OE ESC's from what I gather.

I've just tried the Hobbywing multi-function LCD program box with both Hobbywing and Spektrum PC apps, and both Hobbywing and Spektrum ESCs

It only works for the Hobbywing ESCs. Unfortunately it can't program or firmware update Spektrum ESCs. The ESC and the Spektrum PC app doesn't recognise the HW box at all ☹️

A bit annoying because both program boxes and PC applications look almost identical. I guess I'll just have to buy both 💸

I've just tried the Hobbywing multi-function LCD program box with both Hobbywing and Spektrum PC apps, and both Hobbywing and Spektrum ESCs

It only works for the Hobbywing ESCs. Unfortunately it can't program or firmware update Spektrum ESCs. The ESC and the Spektrum PC app doesn't recognise the HW box at all ☹️

A bit annoying because both program boxes and PC applications look almost identical. I guess I'll just have to buy both 💸
Yep. That's the conclusion I can too as well. So frustrating.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back