First Aftermarket Tires, One bigger than the other? (Maybe considering other options)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just received my first 2 pairs of aftermarket tires for my Granite. I got 4x Duratrax Lockup MT Belted 2.8s.

For each pair of tires I got, I noticed one is a tad bigger than the other. When I discovered it with the first set, I thought I got a bad set, but they are both actually like that. Is that…normal?

Also do these come pre-glued? They have a beadlock, which is new to me, but the back of package in one part mentions them being glued and mounted, and another section talks about how to glue them. Kinda confusing!

I am also not sure I feel foam when I squeeze them… but to be fair they are a lot firmer than my stock Granite tires.

I just received my first 2 pairs of aftermarket tires for my Granite. I got 4x Duratrax Lockup MT Belted 2.8s.

For each pair of tires I got, I noticed one is a tad bigger than the other. When I discovered it with the first set, I thought I got a bad set, but they are both actually like that. Is that…normal?

Also do these come pre-glued? They have a beadlock, which is new to me, but the back of package in one part mentions them being glued and mounted, and another section talks about how to glue them. Kinda confusing!

I am also not sure I feel foam when I squeeze them… but to be fair they are a lot firmer than my stock Granite tires.
Pictures?

No, they are not glued. Make sure you tighten the bead lock plates on the front and back side of each wheel. On my Duratrax Six Packs, the bead of the tire keeps coming out no matter how much I tighten the bead locks.

Pictures?
It’s kinda hard to get a good photo of it. It’s also kinda like they are not the same shape.

CFC5DBC6-6D19-4872-BAC9-EFB9EF4E9CF4.jpeg

No, they are not glued. Make sure you tighten the bead lock plates on the front and back side of each wheel. On my Duratrax Six Packs, the bead of the tire keeps coming out no matter how much I tighten the bead locks.
That’s a bit of a bummer. I kinda thought they were. Is it typical that they aren’t?

714BA7FB-6024-41DE-AA1C-B66B4C4EC20F.jpeg

Seeing my own photos kind has me bummed out about these tires. I kind of don't want to even try them now. I went Duratrax vs Proline honestly to save some money, as the Proline ones I want would have costed half the price my Granite originally costed me. But now I’m already understanding why Proline is popular.

It seems Proline tires are mounted/glued vs Beadlocked. Is one method better over the other?

My main reason for upgrading my stock tires is to get ones that don’t balloon, so belted is what I’ve been looking at. Before I went Duratrax, I was considering Proline Badlands Belted MT VS Trenchers Belted MT. They both seems very similar and the only difference I really see is the treads. Is that the only difference? For a Granite with a mix off off-road and some on road (Just when I want to go fast down the street) which is recommended? I over all want an “all around“ tire.

Seeing my own photos kind has me bummed out about these tires. I kind of don't want to even try them now. I went Duratrax vs Proline honestly to save some money, as the Proline ones I want would have costed half the price my Granite originally costed me. But now I’m already understanding why Proline is popular.

It seems Proline tires are mounted/glued vs Beadlocked. Is one method better over the other?

My main reason for upgrading my stock tires is to get ones that don’t balloon, so belted is what I’ve been looking at. Before I went Duratrax, I was considering Proline Badlands Belted MT VS Trenchers Belted MT. They both seems very similar and the only difference I really see is the treads. Is that the only difference? For a Granite with a mix off off-road and some on road (Just when I want to go fast down the street) which is recommended? I over all want an “all around“ tire.
Even in my proline badlands mx non belted there is a bit of diff from each. 1 is juat slightly wider. 1 is a bit taller. I just hope they all cancel each other out.🤣. Balancing them may would help. if u see a problem if u put them on.

Trenchers would be better for all around and ware better than the Badlands onroad.

Trenchers would be better for all around and ware better than the Badlands onroad.
I’ve heard the trenchers are recommended a lot. Are they good for off-road too? Dirt, gravel, sand, etc?
Even in my proline badlands mx non belted there is a bit of diff from each. 1 is juat slightly wider. 1 is a bit taller. I just hope they all cancel each other out.🤣. Balancing them may would help. if u see a problem if u put them on.
How do you like the tires? Sounds like any set of RC tires may be imperfect. :)

I’ve heard the trenchers are recommended a lot. Are they good for off-road too? Dirt, gravel, sand, etc?

How do you like the tires? Sounds like any set of RC tires may be imperfect. :)
Yea bud I think so. Im still super fresh in this but just reading in this forum alone does seem like parts in general arent as consistent. We all know why so I won't be one of those guys. And with a few imperfections now in my was new bigrock, hell she runs best now then ever. Don't sweat it until it causes issues. I am going to balance mine. In reverse they show wobble. BUT WHO CARES ABOUT REVERSE??🤣🤣👍💯

Just go ahead and put them on and try them out. The Granite is an off-road 4x4 basher not a 200mph speed run car so it really won't make much of a difference. You will probably notice it most when you drive it on road but it won't hurt anything. Just keep an eye on the beads cause they are hard to keep tight. Mine keep coming off cause I run my Big Rock on 4s. It might not be as much as a problem on 3s.

I personally do not like trenchers offroad (low grass/dirt/gravel) at all. I tried them on a typhon and I had so much less grip than expected. Then switched to Badlands and it was exactly what I wanted. Now I use the new Hyrax 2.8 which I love so very very much. But if you plan on running on road then I do support the fact that Badlands get eaten away quite quickly. Also as others said don't worry about the size

I'd like to hear from the more experienced members on this... for just general bashing I prefer the beadlocked because I can fix it quickly and get back to trying to break something else. Now if I simply invested in a spare set of wheels/tires then that argument doesn't work anymore.....

Just go ahead and put them on and try them out. The Granite is an off-road 4x4 basher not a 200mph speed run car so it really won't make much of a difference. You will probably notice it most when you drive it on road but it won't hurt anything. Just keep an eye on the beads cause they are hard to keep tight. Mine keep coming off cause I run my Big Rock on 4s. It might not be as much as a problem on 3s.
I’m torn between trying them and sending them back and upgrading to some Prolines but it sounds like I might have the same issues. I also keep thinking about beadlock tires vs glued and what’s better for me. Plus I’m also wondering about the need to vent them. The nice thing about my stock tires was I didn’t have to worry about any of this….except ballooning of course.
Wow, that is a huge difference. Where did you buy them? I'd be sending those back for sure.
Amain Hobbies. And yea seeing my photo made me realize the size difference is pretty bad. Torn between trying them, exchanging them for the same, or returning them and paying more to get Prolines.
I personally do not like trenchers offroad (low grass/dirt/gravel) at all. I tried them on a typhon and I had so much less grip than expected. Then switched to Badlands and it was exactly what I wanted. Now I use the new Hyrax 2.8 which I love so very very much. But if you plan on running on road then I do support the fact that Badlands get eaten away quite quickly. Also as others said don't worry about the size
So big treads will wear quickly on road? This might be though to answer but are badlands any worse on road than the stock tires the truck comes with? (In other words would they wear fast on road too,) if I did get Prolines, it’s gonna be tough to decide between Badlands and Trenchers!
Question for you all. Is balancing something more due to Beadlock tires or Glued? Or does any tire you buy potentially have balance issues?

Last edited:
Amain Hobbies. And yea seeing my photo made me realize the size difference is pretty bad. Torn between trying them, exchanging them for the same, or returning them and paying more to get Prolines.
I would at least contact Amain and see what they say. If they are anything like Horizon, they may just send you another set, then at least you have a couple extras to possibly get a matching set. I dunno. They may work themselves into shape after running, but I have seen numerous complaints about Duratrax tires being out of balance, warped, etc. But I have also seen people say theirs are great. So it seems to be hit and miss. Can you put them on the truck and give them a spin on a stand? Just to see if the centrifugal force whips them into shape?

I’m torn between trying them and sending them back and upgrading to some Prolines but it sounds like I might have the same issues. I also keep thinking about beadlock tires vs glued and what’s better for me. Plus I’m also wondering about the need to vent them. The nice thing about my stock tires was I didn’t have to worry about any of this….except ballooning of course.

So big treads will wear quickly on road? This might be though to answer but are badlands any worse on road than the stock tires the truck comes with? (In other words would they wear fast on road too,) if I did get Prolines, it’s gonna be tough to decide between Badlands and Trenchers!
Question for you all. Is balancing something more due to Beadlock tires or Glued? Or does any tire you buy potentially have balance issues?
Not sure if its the tread or the material or what as far as trenchers vs badlands on road but any tire is going to get messed up by the road at the end of the day. But I took the trenchers off as soon as I could because I thought they were so miserable. I have never had a beadlock setup but I also think being that you are putting them on a granite and not a 6s vehicle you really aren't going to have issues of tires flying off. I have had Badlands 2.8, badlands 2.8 belted, trenchers, badlands 3.8, and now the hyrax 2.8 and my 1 and 2 favorites without a doubt are the (1) hyrax 2.8 and (2) badlands 2.8 non belted. The belted 2.8 are very thin and offer low grip compared to non belted. The 3.8 were on a 6s vehicle and they were great as well but I prefer backflip LP over them because they are slightly larger and much cheaper, but again those 2 tires don't apply to your situation.

Not sure if its the tread or the material or what as far as trenchers vs badlands on road but any tire is going to get messed up by the road at the end of the day. But I took the trenchers off as soon as I could because I thought they were so miserable. I have never had a beadlock setup but I also think being that you are putting them on a granite and not a 6s vehicle you really aren't going to have issues of tires flying off. I have had Badlands 2.8, badlands 2.8 belted, trenchers, badlands 3.8, and now the hyrax 2.8 and my 1 and 2 favorites without a doubt are the (1) hyrax 2.8 and (2) badlands 2.8 non belted. The belted 2.8 are very thin and offer low grip compared to non belted. The 3.8 were on a 6s vehicle and they were great as well but I prefer backflip LP over them because they are slightly larger and much cheaper, but again those 2 tires don't apply to your situation.
So you never had belted trenchers but belted badlands huh? Interesting to hear your thoughts on them. I'm still liking the idea of belted, despite them having some drawbacks. I in no way run my car very fast or very hard and probably wouldn't even be looking at after market tires if Ballooning didn't bother me as much as it does.

Would Badlands be that bad on road? I'm not on road that often. My preferred terrain is off road, even if it's the old field near my home. It's just more fun that driving a monster truck on the street. There is also a BMX Bike course with an RC Track I'm very fond of.

What's your thoughts on venting? I've been trying to read up on the topic, and even the topic when it comes to belted tires. The Duratrax ones I have that this thread is about are vented on the rim. Logically speaking I don't know how well that would work. I feel like stuff will get in, but not out. I do like running my Granite over puddles sometimes. The stock tires are vented on the tire itself so I just gun the throttle to spin the water out. Can you even vent belted tires if you want to?

So you never had belted trenchers but belted badlands huh? Interesting to hear your thoughts on them. I'm still liking the idea of belted, despite them having some drawbacks. I in no way run my car very fast or very hard and probably wouldn't even be looking at after market tires if Ballooning didn't bother me as much as it does.

Would Badlands be that bad on road? I'm not on road that often. My preferred terrain is off road, even if it's the old field near my home. It's just more fun that driving a monster truck on the street. There is also a BMX Bike course with an RC Track I'm very fond of.

What's your thoughts on venting? I've been trying to read up on the topic, and even the topic when it comes to belted tires. The Duratrax ones I have that this thread is about are vented on the rim. Logically speaking I don't know how well that would work. I feel like stuff will get in, but not out. I do like running my Granite over puddles sometimes. The stock tires are vented on the tire itself so I just gun the throttle to spin the water out. Can you even vent belted tires if you want to?
Most black tape the hole on the rim. Then vent the tires. A good piercing gauged needle should work well. If u do vent them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back