First Aftermarket Tires, One bigger than the other? (Maybe considering other options)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most black tape the hole on the rim. Then vent the tires. A good piercing gauged needle should work well. If u do vent them
Even with belted, it's ok (and good) to vent them?
I heard back from Amain hobbies and they already sent me a label for the return. From what a few have said on here though, If I get another set, I could have the same size issue. Or even if I get some Prolines, I could still have a set of different size tires even with that brand. Is sets of tires not being a matching size a common thing?

I promise you don't get belted. I have tried them all like I said. If you are going to be mostly offroad then your best bet is getting non belted Badlands or Hyrax and then getting some Kevlar rope and some flexible CA glue. You basically belt the unbelted tires and you get the best of both worlds. And yes put a piece of tape over the hole in the wheel and make a couple holes in the tires on opposite sides. I just burn a hole in mine. Quick and easy. This is a picture of my Hyrax with the kevlar cord. You just wrap it a couple times and then put the CA glue on the ends and a couple other spots and you are good to go

1355D022-557D-4B7B-A4F3-C3D4E4EC15EB.png

3EB96C12-AE44-4A27-8D57-47247FECEE02.png

No, they are not glued. Make sure you tighten the bead lock plates on the front and back side of each wheel. On my Duratrax Six Packs, the bead of the tire keeps coming out no matter how much I tighten the bead locks.
By the way how do you tighten the back of the tires? I only see screws in the front of my lockups.
I promise you don't get belted. I have tried them all like I said. If you are going to be mostly offroad then your best bet is getting non belted Badlands or Hyrax and then getting some Kevlar rope and some flexible CA glue. You basically belt the unbelted tires and you get the best of both worlds. And yes put a piece of tape over the hole in the wheel and make a couple holes in the tires on opposite sides. I just burn a hole in mine. Quick and easy. This is a picture of my Hyrax with the kevlar cord. You just wrap it a couple times and then put the CA glue on the ends and a couple other spots and you are good to go

View attachment 164449

View attachment 164450
Thank you for that info. I appreciate it! What is it about belted that makes them bad? I thought they were the thing to get if you can to prevent ballooning. I don't know if I'd be good at essentially belting them myself.
Thanks again everyone for all your input, it's been very helpful. It occurred to me of these had not had the size issue, I would have just tried them as planned. Wondering if I either get another set and see if it's any better...or use these. I don't know if I could still return them if I actually use them though.

Last edited:
The belted Badlands are so much more thin than non belted. That's the problem. Check the specs on the website and wrapping them in the rope is super super easy

By the way how do you tighten the back of the tires? I only see screws in the front of my lockups.

Thank you for that info. I appreciate it! What is it about belted that makes them bad? I thought they were the thing to get if you can to prevent ballooning. I don't know if I'd be good at essentially belting them myself.
Thanks again everyone for all your input, it's been very helpful. It occurred to me of these had not had the size issue, I would have just tried them as planned. Wondering if I either get another set and see if it's any better...or use these. I don't know if I could still return them if I actually use them though.
I would probably go the route @StephenShandelmayer is saying. The guy is way more exp than myself. Ive only ever ran stock bigrock or these badlands

Thanks again everyone. I’m debating if I keep these or not. I was really excited to try belted and have tires that don’t balloon. What does one use if they do just want to strap non-belted tires, and how to you tie off the end once the tire is wrapped?

Thanks again everyone. I’m debating if I keep these or not. I was really excited to try belted and have tires that don’t balloon. What does one use if they do just want to strap non-belted tires, and how to you tie off the end once the tire is wrapped?
Glue ends with the adhesive he posted. Kevlar rope

Also all my comments have been focusing on proline tires. I really think the tires you bought will do fine regardless of the little size difference, nothing is perfect 😁. I just wanted to stray you away from making the wrong proline choice because I have wasted the money to learn already

Glue ends with the adhesive he posted. Kevlar rope
https://www.amazon.com/emma-kites-S...f-cd80baef29d2&ref_=pd_gwm_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

No need to tie. Just glue them down with the glue that I showed a picture of earlier. I know it sounds crazy and I was quite amazed that it worked too but I have run my trucks many times now going 60+ on 6s offroad and they have stayed on

Oooh ok. I didn’t realize that is what you do. I was more picturing tying a rope and then tying the ends of it together. I wouldn’t think that you glue the ends. That holds the strap and keeps the tire from ballooning? I can’t say for sure I’m going to go this route, but I appreciate the info.

Why are belted tires so much thinner? If anything, I would think the opposite would be the case. Thicker, stronger so they have less ballooning.

Please let me know if I should make a new tbread for this topic but: If I keep my Duratrax MT tires. Do I want to vent them (Can you/should you vent belted tires) or seal up the rim hole and not have any holes? Most of my driving is over dry terrain….but going through puddles is also fun. I’ve also been to the beach a few times…

Last edited:
Thinner as in the width. So basically the non belted has way more tire sitting on the ground than belted. That's why when you wrap the non belted it's the best because you have the traits of belted along with the grip of the non belted. And I have always vented my tires even the belted ones. Never seemed to hurt them

Thinner as in the width. So basically the non belted has way more tire sitting on the ground than belted. That's why when you wrap the non belted it's the best because you have the traits of belted along with the grip of the non belted. And I have always vented my tires even the belted ones. Never seemed to hurt them
Ah ok. I didn't realize you meant width. I have a much better picture now. Well my Duratrax Belted Lockups are still wider than my stock granite tires, so that's something.

Can I use a drill as far as the venting? (That's about all I have around to poke a hole.)

What is the pro/con to venting the tire vs just sealing up the vent holes on the rim and not venting them at all? The latter method seems more "sealed." What's the downside to that?
Also all my comments have been focusing on proline tires. I really think the tires you bought will do fine regardless of the little size difference, nothing is perfect 😁. I just wanted to stray you away from making the wrong proline choice because I have wasted the money to learn already
I appreciate that and all your time this afternoon. I love getting "nice" items and I totally gravitate towards something like the Prolines, but in the interest in saving some money and for the fact that I have already invested way too much into my little Mega Granite, I was trying to be practical. :)

I keep going back to the fact that I would have already tried my Duratrax had I not notice the size anomaly. So I am leaning towards just using them. But work has been kicking my butt today so I haven't had time for much of anything other than popping on here for a few minutes to give my brain a break.

So now I am onto keeping/trying the Duratrax...but to vent or not to vent. My Granite stock tires are vented and I never gave it a second thought. I just don't want to compromise the "Belted" of my belted tires.

Ah ok. I didn't realize you meant width. I have a much better picture now. Well my Duratrax Belted Lockups are still wider than my stock granite tires, so that's something.

Can I use a drill as far as the venting? (That's about all I have around to poke a hole.)

What is the pro/con to venting the tire vs just sealing up the vent holes on the rim and not venting them at all? The latter method seems more "sealed." What's the downside to that?

I appreciate that and all your time this afternoon. I love getting "nice" items and I totally gravitate towards something like the Prolines, but in the interest in saving some money and for the fact that I have already invested way too much into my little Mega Granite, I was trying to be practical. :)

I keep going back to the fact that I would have already tried my Duratrax had I not notice the size anomaly. So I am leaning towards just using them. But work has been kicking my butt today so I haven't had time for much of anything other than popping on here for a few minutes to give my brain a break.

So now I am onto keeping/trying the Duratrax...but to vent or not to vent. My Granite stock tires are vented and I never gave it a second thought. I just don't want to compromise the "Belted" of my belted tires.
Vent. It helps 🎈 ing. Also alows for any water dirt etc to have a chance to be slung out

Do you have a soldering iron? You can just burn a quick hole with that. Or heat up a drill bit with a torch and just push it through. But yeah man no worries at all I love helping and sharing any knowledge that I can. But the only issue with no venting would be if you are doing big jumps. Like @Steve38 said the venting does help some ballooning but I forgot to vent one set of tires but I did plug the rims and I ended up blowing 2 tires off because the air inside had nowhere to go on big jumps

So you never had belted trenchers but belted badlands huh? Interesting to hear your thoughts on them. I'm still liking the idea of belted, despite them having some drawbacks. I in no way run my car very fast or very hard and probably wouldn't even be looking at after market tires if Ballooning didn't bother me as much as it does.

Would Badlands be that bad on road? I'm not on road that often. My preferred terrain is off road, even if it's the old field near my home. It's just more fun that driving a monster truck on the street. There is also a BMX Bike course with an RC Track I'm very fond of.

What's your thoughts on venting? I've been trying to read up on the topic, and even the topic when it comes to belted tires. The Duratrax ones I have that this thread is about are vented on the rim. Logically speaking I don't know how well that would work. I feel like stuff will get in, but not out. I do like running my Granite over puddles sometimes. The stock tires are vented on the tire itself so I just gun the throttle to spin the water out. Can you even vent belted tires if you want to?
Badlands are good on all terrains, but in grass they are so grippy (grass wraps into tread) and you may break things like axles. On pavement they will wear fairly quickly. They kick butt in dirt 😉

Vent. It helps 🎈 ing. Also alows for any water dirt etc to have a chance to be slung out
Is ballooning still a factor for belted?
I had not thought about jumps and landing. I guess that’s why the tires are at least Rim vented?

If I vent the tire do I definitely plug the hole on the rims?

Do you have a soldering iron? You can just burn a quick hole with that. Or heat up a drill bit with a torch and just push it through. But yeah man no worries at all I love helping and sharing any knowledge that I can. But the only issue with no venting would be if you are doing big jumps. Like @Steve38 said the venting does help some ballooning but I forgot to vent one set of tires but I did plug the rims and I ended up blowing 2 tires off because the air inside had nowhere to go on big jump
If all I have is a regular drill bit, I want to heat it up? How long/how hot? (I might just have to it on the stove.)

Update:

I know it’s not necessarily the best option but I just gone done making my vent holes with a drill. I didn’t have any issues, it didn’t bunch the foam or anything.

The only real problem I seem to have is the holes are just not very big. Based on a guide I read, it said to use 1/8 drill bit so I tried that.

I know a common method is to use a little piece of copper tubing. I’m thinking of buying one and going over the holes again. Maybe them being tiny is fine. But they just aren’t very prominent.

If all I have is a regular drill bit, I want to heat it up? How long/how hot? (I might just have to it on the stove.)

Update:

I know it’s not necessarily the best option but I just gone done making my vent holes with a drill. I didn’t have any issues, it didn’t bunch the foam or anything.

The only real problem I seem to have is the holes are just not very big. Based on a guide I read, it said to use 1/8 drill bit so I tried that.

I know a common method is to use a little piece of copper tubing. I’m thinking of buying one and going over the holes again. Maybe them being tiny is fine. But they just aren’t very prominent.
Soinds like you done fine. And yes cover the rim holes. 😂

Soinds like you done fine. And yes cover the rim holes. 😂
Really? The holes are so tiny. I feel like they are gonna seal themselves back up. Lol.
Why do rims even come with holes? I can’t see them doing much good in any situation. They let stuff in but not out!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back