Notorious First bash with Notorious...broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...little background. Been playing with R/C's for 30 plus years off and on. Last "real" monster truck I had was an HPI Savage Flux. I've had a Traxxas VXL Ralley on the shelf for a while. But I recently upped my game and picked up an Arrma Notorious for me and a Granite 4x4 for my son (7 years old).

Yesterday I played in my yard for 10 minutes and jumped a few times off of rc/skateboard ramps that Santa brought for my son (and me). I was impressed!

Today at lunch I went to a local softball field / skate park. 30 degree weather didn't play nice with my wing mount. A couple of hard landings and it snapped off. I can't complain...it was cold, I was driving terrible and it was landing on concrete. Something has to give.

Here's my thoughts to far after 30 minutes of play time:
  1. This truck absolutely rips on 6s.
  2. The sparks from the roll bar on my driveway at dusk was a bonus.
  3. It is very controllable in the air. Much more than my Flux ever was. I need work here!
  4. This truck doesn't steer worth a d@!n when on the power. The flux was better in that aspect.
  5. The chassis makes a nasty slap when jumping and landing. I think I need to crank the preload up at a minimum. What are some of your preferred chassis setups/shock setups?
  6. Amazing how much easier it is to work on than a truck with TVP chassis.
  7. Can't wait to repair it and get back out there.
When I got back to my desk I ordered 2 oem HD wing mounts and a spare wing. Figured a backup isn't a bad thing. I also grabbed RPM rear mud guards and rear skid plate. I wish they made a front skid as well.

Now for some post run pics of the damage.

I had some issues turning left while under acceleration with my new/used Noto v5 so I pulled the servo saver spring out and stretched it out just enuf to where I could still get the servo saver spring retainer to thread back on adding a little pressure against the spring. After that my issue was solved. I set my steering end points since who ever owned it before didn’t have it set right. Everything is fine now but I do notice if add weight to the front of the truck standing still the servo mount does flex so I ordered a EXB servo mount, while I was it it I ordered everything to switch the front bumper to the Outcast EXB style and ordered a extra rear wing just to have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back