Typhon First charge break in LIPO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Scoundrel

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi guys,

I’m new here. I’ve had an Arrma Typhoon for a few years but haven’t had much run time with it. That being said the batteries I have were dead and I ordered a few new ones. I have 2 Spektrum Smart batteries and was wondering if these batteries and batteries in general need to be broken in? Or can I just charge and run?
Thanks

Just charge and run is what I do.

No need to break in, just be sure to read up on caring for a Lipo. The smart batteries are nice because they auto-discharge to storage voltage if you charge one and then don't use it, and if you get one of their smart chargers, you can program the battery to fit your preferences.

Yeah, just use it out the gate and enjoy. No special technique to charge new lipos.
From my experience, I feel by the 2nd cycle they are performing at max.:unsure:
I don't notice this always with every new Lipo I get. It's more a gut feeling I have with the numerous lipos I have purchased. Have seen a slight improvement by the 2nd cycle. Needing to warm up perhaps and all....
Nicads and Nimpacks absolutely perform worse when new, and need several cycles to get the most out of them. A completley differnt chemistry. Does not apply here. Lipos are a different animal altogether.
But I have seen a difference nonetheless. I think maybe operating temps play a role in this? Very cold outside temps affect lipo performance in general.
And I feel the First charge/discharge cycle, is different, due to lipo chemistry at Mfr..
But many won't even notice the perf. difference. If there is any.
:cool:

Store @ 3.8 volts, I don't run mine down past 3.7 volts (ish)
Keep them room Temp (My preference) Some like cooler. Keep and eye out for damage or puffing. I store mine in a 30mm ammo can but that personal preference too

Actually, Heat and mostly very High Humdity when storing them is what ruins lipos. Some lipo packs are just sealed better than others overall. Aside from incorrect storage volts in general. And letting the lipos discharge below 3.4v/cell.
3.7v/cell cutoff is best for lipo longevity.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back