Notorious First diff service - rear diff problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an update.

First, if you can't get the pins, a 3/32nd drill bit shaft or blank is too big. Sanding down hardened carbide steel is not recommended. This would fit the EXB diffs but it's too thick (TWSS) to fit the standard 6S diffs.

Second, a guy at my LHS gave me the BEST tip. I never thought about it. Use a cheap 2mm allen key. I had three of them laying around in my toolbox. I used a dremel to cut 9.8mm off the end, deburred with emery paper and it worked perfectly. Time will tell how it lasts, but the crawler guys swear by it. The guy who told me about it said they do it all the time and the hex key pins are stronger than stock.

I have an update.

First, if you can't get the pins, a 3/32nd drill bit shaft or blank is too big. Sanding down hardened carbide steel is not recommended. This would fit the EXB diffs but it's too thick (TWSS) to fit the standard 6S diffs.

Second, a guy at my LHS gave me the BEST tip. I never thought about it. Use a cheap 2mm allen key. I had three of them laying around in my toolbox. I used a dremel to cut 9.8mm off the end, deburred with emery paper and it worked perfectly. Time will tell how it lasts, but the crawler guys swear by it. The guy who told me about it said they do it all the time and the hex key pins are stronger than stock.
Another tip that I received here was to make the pins shorter than stock. The shorter pin will decrease the leverage placed on them and may help keep them from snapping. I haven’t needed this advice yet, but the next snapped pin I have I will give this a try.

Another tip that I received here was to make the pins shorter than stock. The shorter pin will decrease the leverage placed on them and may help keep them from snapping. I haven’t needed this advice yet, but the next snapped pin I have I will give this a try.

Hmmm. Less leverage on the pin assumes that the pin is small enough that it moves a bit and there is more pressure applied on the end of the pin. It's the same force applied - where does that force go? Maybe a shorter one has a tiny bit more wiggle room to give a bit?

Not sure if I would want to use an allen key, it's the wrong size to begin with(smaller) and weaker. Get cheap 2.2 or 2.3mm drill bits and cut off the end.
Not sure how I feel about the shorter pins, I believe it would now create stress on the sungear and it will shatter.
By all means, try it out and let us know, always good to see new ideas.

Not sure if I would want to use an allen key, it's the wrong size to begin with(smaller) and weaker. Get cheap 2.2 or 2.3mm drill bits and cut off the end.
Not sure how I feel about the shorter pins, I believe it would now create stress on the sungear and it will shatter.
By all means, try it out and let us know, always good to see new ideas.
I agree that it’s a concern for me as well. I haven’t snapped another pin since I switched to drill blanks. I was just tossing out what I had heard as another step. It is not something I have tried or endorse. ✌?

I agree that it’s a concern for me as well. I haven’t snapped another pin since I switched to drill blanks. I was just tossing out what I had heard as another step. It is not something I have tried or endorse. ✌?
I need drill blanks I think... think I snapped a pin last time I drove my beast kraton.. now the driver side rear just free spins. Doesn’t have any resistance at all. Wondering if it’s a broken pin. Never had one break like that before... need to open it up. ??

I just struggle to get drill blanks. I have a supplier that I think could get them but I want this on the road now. If I could pull up Amazon and get 2.2mm drill blanks in a couple days I'd be set, but it isn't that easy here in Ottawa.

The 2 mm allen key seems to be a perfect fit. I will let you know how it goes.

You know for someone with a machine shop or a fastener business there is an opportunity here. I would pay for a proper set of bolts/screws/washers/pins/shims that would be what I need to resolve common issues and maintain my vehicle. Just a package of shims covering whatever I might need with some spares for my Notorious would be valuable. I either have time to work on my trucks and run them, or research, source, order and modify parts to be able to work on them. Arrma should be selling a shim/fastener kit for each truck. This is both a waste of time and a missed opportunity.

I just struggle to get drill blanks. I have a supplier that I think could get them but I want this on the road now. If I could pull up Amazon and get 2.2mm drill blanks in a couple days I'd be set, but it isn't that easy here in Ottawa.

The 2 mm allen key seems to be a perfect fit. I will let you know how it goes.

You know for someone with a machine shop or a fastener business there is an opportunity here. I would pay for a proper set of bolts/screws/washers/pins/shims that would be what I need to resolve common issues and maintain my vehicle. Just a package of shims covering whatever I might need with some spares for my Notorious would be valuable. I either have time to work on my trucks and run them, or research, source, order and modify parts to be able to work on them. Arrma should be selling a shim/fastener kit for each truck. This is both a waste of time and a missed opportunity.
Totally agree?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back