Typhon First esc fire in over 2 years being in the hobby. My fault?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Fellas! I built a stretched typhon for speed. I may have not done enough research and I'm perfectly capable of accepting that I made a bad choice if that's the case. But I am running a 4060 2620 kv TP motor with a MMX8S. 28/40 gearing on 6s with QS8 connectors. I had that motor in my 4s and decided to give it a shot in my 6s and idk if that's the base of my issue or not. Did I just expect too much from the esc or did something else fail? She completely went up in flames 😞😞. But thankfully it looks like everything else is ok. She hit 95 before it happened though!

Fellas! I built a stretched typhon for speed. I may have not done enough research and I'm perfectly capable of accepting that I made a bad choice if that's the case. But I am running a 4060 2620 kv TP motor with a MMX8S. 28/40 gearing on 6s with QS8 connectors. I had that motor in my 4s and decided to give it a shot in my 6s and idk if that's the base of my issue or not. Did I just expect too much from the esc or did something else fail? She completely went up in flames 😞😞. But thankfully it looks like everything else is ok. She hit 95 before it happened though!
Bummer man! Were you able to take any pictures? Not asking because I don’t believe you… just want to see 🔥

Bummer man! Were you able to take any pictures? Not asking because I don’t believe you… just want to see 🔥
No pictures of the moment sadly but here are some of the esc and body. Not sure how the body didn't burn through because I saw good sized flames
BB84E92B-03F8-44DB-A3CC-F447117A816C.jpeg
5DB65130-DF36-4CF1-A3FD-8202AFA25507.jpeg
BCD2C486-8746-43A0-82B5-5AEC5FDEE038.jpeg

Was the motor rated to 6S? With TP motors there is usually a chart which tells you what the max voltage you can use with a particular motor. If you have a certain size (in your case 4060) with a certain KV (2620) it will tell you rated up to 4S, 6S OR 8S based on that specific motor. If you run more current through it than what the motor is rated for you could get something like this happening. Usually its the motor that burns up first cause it gets way too hot. In your case looks like the heat kicked back to the ESC and that's what got fried (look at the motor connections). Luckily it didn't get back to the lipos themselves or it could've been much worse because lipo fires are almost impossible to extinguish (you almost have to just let them burn out)

You were geared up pretty good too...probably a little too much for whatever kind of driving you were doing. That kind of gearing combined with that high KV on 6S (4S was probably safer for that motor) is usually for speed running or drag races where you're only gonna do 1 or 2 passes then let everything rest and cool off before going back at it. If you were bashing your setup never got a chance to cool down and overheated.

I've been experimenting with TP motors and my rule of thumb is check to see what the max voltage the motor can handle and then run a step or two down. For example I've got a 4070CM 2400KV motor and its rated to 8S. I only run it on 6S with 3 fans. I also have a 4040CM 2850KV that's rated to 8S but I've only ran it on 4S (in my Typhon). I was bashing it and after less than 10 minutes the temps were 175 so I promptly removed it and went back down to a 2200KV on 6S which doesn't heat up nearly as much when I bash. I like speed and consider myself a speed basher. But when trying out new motors, KVs, and gearing setups I try to check temps often until I get comfortable.

Last edited:
Was the motor rated to 6S? With TP motors there is usually a chart which tells you what the max voltage you can use with a particular motor. If you have a certain size (in your case 4060) with a certain KV (2620) it will tell you rated up to 4S, 6S OR 8S based on that specific motor. If you run more current through it than what the motor is rated for you could get something like this happening. Usually its the motor that burns up first cause it gets way too hot. In your case looks like the heat kicked back to the ESC and that's what got fried (look at the motor connections). Luckily it didn't get back to the lipos themselves or it could've been much worse because lipo fires are almost impossible to extinguish (you almost have to just let them burn out)

You were geared up pretty good too...probably a little too much for whatever kind of driving you were doing. That kind of gearing combined with that high KV on 6S (4S was probably safer for that motor) is usually for speed running or drag races where you're only gonna do 1 or 2 passes then let everything rest and cool off before going back at it. If you were bashing your setup never got a chance to cool down and overheated.

I've been experimenting with TP motors and my rule of thumb is check to see what the max voltage the motor can handle and then run a step or two down. For example I've got a 4070CM 2400KV motor and its rated to 8S. I only run it on 6S with 3 fans. I also have a 4040CM 2850KV that's rated to 8S but I've only ran it on 4S (in my Typhon). I was bashing it and after less than 10 minutes the temps were 175 so I promptly removed it and went back down to a 2200KV on 6S which doesn't heat up nearly as much when I bash. I like speed and consider myself a speed basher. But when trying out new motors, KVs, and gearing setups I try to check temps often until I get comfortable.
Yeah I suppose I didn't explain what I did. I honestly drove down to one side of the street slowly got it turned around and came back for a speed run. That was the first of the day it was perfectly cool so it's not like I did multiple passes. So idk man! Just a bummer

I run 2200kv tp motor on 8s np. I got the motor up to 130f. I actually messed up yesterday and got my 2080 cm kv tp motor up to 190 to 200f and I was scared I ruined it but seems fine. Hopping cm version can handle a lil more heat 😂

No pictures of the moment sadly but here are some of the esc and body. Not sure how the body didn't burn through because I saw good sized flames
View attachment 208178View attachment 208179View attachment 208180

If you look closely at the caps located in the front section (close to the steering servo) You can tell something major occurred there first. I think one of the capacitors blew and caused the negative cable to short out against the circuit board which caused the fire..

As evident of the dangling black battery cable and the plastics mount for the fan looking like they're "blown out" & not just melted from fire or heat ,in the third photo.

Kind of difficult to see without Fully disassembling the cooling fan/shroud..
That's my guess from what I can see.

If you look closely at the caps located in the front section (close to the steering servo) You can tell something major occurred there first. I think one of the capacitors blew and caused the negative cable to short out against the circuit board which caused the fire..

As evident of the dangling black battery cable and the plastics mount for the fan looking like they're "blown out" & not just melted from fire or heat ,in the third photo.

Kind of difficult to see without Fully disassembling the cooling fan/shroud..
That's my guess from what I can see.
Yeah I was thinking that was the origin also. Seems like the worst spot for sure

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back