Limitless First Limitless build coming sooner than expected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFx

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
I just re-entered the hobby with a Fireteam after more than 20 years away (been flying planes and trying to fly heli's the past 10 years). I was originally planning to start a Limitless build over the summer but with the current ARRMAGETEM sale combined with my $75 in rewards points, I couldn't pass it up and ordered the roller today.

Parts I've decided on for this build:
  • For the servo I bought a MKS HBL550
  • For the ESC, I decided on the Mamba Monster X 8S. I was thinking of going XLX2, but I'm not ready to start cutting and modding things on the car just yet.
  • For the motor I'll go with the Castle 1717 1650kv
  • I have a full set of FastEddy bearings for the car that I'll be installing.
  • I also decided to upgrade the drive shaft to the RAZ PP carbon fiber drive shafts.
As of right now, everything else will be stock to start with. Once I have all the parts and time to start the build, I'll post some pics.

Last edited:
Nice have fun with the limitless!!!! I took a 16 break from Trucks & Cars and just got back into it as well.

Welcome back to land!
Arrma is a great brand to come back with.
How many heli crashes were there in that span. Sorry I had to ask.
I've wanted one almost my whole life, but I could literally see myself crashing it repeatedly.
I do ok with drones tho.

I've mainly flown planes. The heli's are something I really want to learn but have had extreme difficulty. The micro helis crash all the time but they are so light they don't break very often. I have an old Trex 450 Pro that I've only hovered. I then decided to get something bigger for the additional mass to make it easier to learn on (although more expensive) and built a Goblin 500 back in 2015 and then got frustrated with rotor setup and shelved it while I cooled off (I was having significant issues). Long story short, I took a break at that point from heli's and focused entirely on planes. I've recently dusted off the heli's and did a complete tear down of each one and plan on getting back to the learning process with them this summer.

If you're really interested in trying out heli's, get a flight simulator. Cash free crashes all day long. I've been using Heli-X as it has some really nice training tools in it. Better training tools than Real Flight actually.

I've mainly flown planes. The heli's are something I really want to learn but have had extreme difficulty. The micro helis crash all the time but they are so light they don't break very often. I have an old Trex 450 Pro that I've only hovered. I then decided to get something bigger for the additional mass to make it easier to learn on (although more expensive) and built a Goblin 500 back in 2015 and then got frustrated with rotor setup and shelved it while I cooled off (I was having significant issues). Long story short, I took a break at that point from heli's and focused entirely on planes. I've recently dusted off the heli's and did a complete tear down of each one and plan on getting back to the learning process with them this summer.

If you're really interested in trying out heli's, get a flight simulator. Cash free crashes all day long. I've been using Heli-X as it has some really nice training tools in it. Better training tools than Real Flight actually.
I have been flying and building planes since I was about 6/8 and I will say I can fly helis on RF but I have wrecked so many blades and Trex's (wifes) I'm not allowed anywhere near a heli, Love quads though. I need to fly my planes and get building again its been about 6 years but I just don't have the room yet, thats why the wife and I got back into Surface.

Do you know what your going to power the Limitless with yet?

To start I'm going to just go with 6S (2x 3S in series). Use the same batteries I have for my Fireteam. I haven't decided on an ESC and motor yet. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to go all out and max everything on it just yet since I would likely just run it into the curb or send it airborne into a tree. I need to ease myself into it and gradually increase the speed and power. I also don't have anywhere with enough room to run it full speed yet. Still looking. I live the NE NJ and it's so densely populated here it's hard to find long straight flat roads and the few you do find are cratered with potholes or have so much patchwork it makes it impossible to run anything without at least a full inch clearance. I do have some roads and parking lots I can use for some fun but nothing that would allow full throttle speed runs. I even have a hard time finding anything other than flat grass fields at some local parks for my Fireteam. I'll be building myself a ramp this spring for that and even then, I'd only be able to use the parks when there's no kids sporting events going on.

Welcome to the land of Limitless money. :sneaky:

Assuming you want to go fast, this should help.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4IcFmU47-_yEleVtB0_8nFAcpqcoWFDx

On his build, he cuts the battery tray, which is OK only if you run shorter batteries. I have some notes in my build thread about that.

I'm building mine now and just got it rolling. The big wires, big batteries and big everything else is challenging but also very cool.

To start I'm going to just go with 6S (2x 3S in series). Use the same batteries I have for my Fireteam. I haven't decided on an ESC and motor yet. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to go all out and max everything on it just yet since I would likely just run it into the curb or send it airborne into a tree. I need to ease myself into it and gradually increase the speed and power.
For the ESC I went with the XLX2. It's very large but it also has data logging. In the end I didn't want to buy the MambaX and then have to buy another $300 ESC later and I went with the big boy to start. The motor is a Castle 1717 only because I wanted one battery on each side. There is an option in the ESC to dial back the power, and you can run 3S-6S. I'm going to start on 4S myself.
I also don't have anywhere with enough room to run it full speed yet. Still looking. I live the NE NJ and it's so densely populated here it's hard to find long straight flat roads and the few you do find are cratered with potholes or have so much patchwork it makes it impossible to run anything without at least a full inch clearance. I do have some roads and parking lots I can use for some fun but nothing that would allow full throttle speed runs.
I'm with you there. I live in San Jose CA. We have too many people and most roads are not very good. We don't have NJ pot holes but we do have turtles. Those will ruin you day at 150MPH!
1646419823156.png

Those are deadly. Been there.. No matter how hard you try, you will hit a turtle/reflector. It's impossible to do slalom driving along the centerline when speed running.:ROFLMAO: Sent my Lim 20+ feet in the air like a frisbee at 90mph. $Carnage$ every time.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the land of Limitless money. :sneaky:

Assuming you want to go fast, this should help.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4IcFmU47-_yEleVtB0_8nFAcpqcoWFDx

On his build, he cuts the battery tray, which is OK only if you run shorter batteries. I have some notes in my build thread about that.

I'm building mine now and just got it rolling. The big wires, big batteries and big everything else is challenging but also very cool.

For the ESC I went with the XLX2. It's very large but it also has data logging. In the end I didn't want to buy the MambaX and then have to buy another $300 ESC later and I went with the big boy to start. The motor is a Castle 1717 only because I wanted one battery on each side. There is an option in the ESC to dial back the power, and you can run 3S-6S. I'm going to start on 4S myself.

I'm with you there. I live in San Jose CA. We have too many people and most roads are not very good. We don't have NJ pot holes but we do have turtles. Those will ruin you day at 150MPH!
View attachment 204223

Thanks. I'm already subscribed to Raz's channel but didn't know he had that little series of videos. I'll be checking them out this weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back