First post. First Arrma. The Fazon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threw on the SRC Terrain Crushers ... wow. The handling with center locked is razor sharp. I STILL need to install the servo. Was supposed to snow and wanted to have a 100% waterproof servo. Wanted to ask about the consequences on my motor with this 17T. Vas on Aussie RC uses it everywhere but the instructions clearly say on road only and a bunch of warnings. Logic tells me to stay away and keep the diffs filled up proper and you will go on and on. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 65
Those look pretty cool. Upgrades will come later for me, after the holidays. I'd just like to run the thing a few times first.

All of my diffs are currently unlocked but I'm guessing that without the brain to keep the servos firmly in place, there's a chance they could get knocked around while running and possibly damage something so it looks like I'm done with it for the day.

That sucks man. At least you can still drive it though. It's just open diffs full time. Lol.

I would but I don't know how tightly the servos hold without power. I don't know how it all works yet but if the servo moved and was to somehow able to slide a diff locker into place at high speed... Has anyone done this?

I like blast mode just fine! :D

I would but I don't know how tightly the servos hold without power. I don't know how it all works yet but if the servo moved and was to somehow able to slide a diff locker into place at high speed... Has anyone done this?

I like blast mode just fine! :D
I don't think servos will move without them being plugged in. It would take a serious hit to move those servos into place. And even then I would be shocked if they moved by themselves. But it's your call, your truck. Lol.

Yeah, been reading around the forum. Seen some people finally give up and remove the whole system but no firm info about running with a dead brain. Heh! I'll just pick up a new brain tomorrow and send this one back with the ESC. I might have to sell the Yeti to fund this thing's supply of spares and upgrades.

Yeah, been reading around the forum. Seen some people finally give up and remove the whole system but no firm info about running with a dead brain. Heh! I'll just pick up a new brain tomorrow and send this one back with the ESC. I might have to sell the Yeti to fund this thing's supply of spares and upgrades.
The only issue I have had with my diff brain is a short or bad connection in one of the wires so my center diff sometimes doesn't move after I have had my centet diff out/ reinstalled. But I just need to check it when I install my new motor. Other than that no issues for me.

Good to know. Seems like a fun system. I've been very diligent about the wiring because I'm VERY picky about it. It's what I did for 15 years. Trouble spots like the fan wiring just leap out at me. Well that and it was pulling the plug so tightly that it was crooked.

Everything neat and secure, making sure that one lead is pulled out of the way of the spur when I put the cover back on. I even took my Spektrum RX out of its case and heat shrinked it because there was not enough room for everything in the box. Need one of them newfangled tiny Spektrum race receivers with no antenna.

Fastidious... is a word that I would NOT use for Arrma's wiring. I found one servo lead pinched the first time I pulled the RX cover off. Not by much, but they missed the foam by one wire and it left a flat spot in it. The rest was just bunched up under the box with a single tie, not doing a very good job.

Now that I think about it, whoever was on wiring duty that day, sucked.

Good to know. Seems like a fun system. I've been very diligent about the wiring because I'm VERY picky about it. It's what I did for 15 years. Trouble spots like the fan wiring just leap out at me. Well that and it was pulling the plug so tightly that it was crooked.

Everything neat and secure, making sure that one lead is pulled out of the way of the spur when I put the cover back on. I even took my Spektrum RX out of its case and heat shrinked it because there was not enough room for everything in the box. Need one of them newfangled tiny Spektrum race receivers with no antenna.

Fastidious... is a word that I would NOT use for Arrma's wiring. I found one servo lead pinched the first time I pulled the RX cover off. Not by much, but they missed the foam by one wire and it left a flat spot in it. The rest was just bunched up under the box with a single tie, not doing a very good job.

Now that I think about it, whoever was on wiring duty that day, sucked.
Be sure to stop before switching modes as well. My Nero is non diff brain. Got it back in July and have had no issues for that very reason I feel. I don't climb and I certainly don't drift so I didn't really see the point. Well now that Ive since learned to really chill on the throttle with center locked - Its almost a whole new vehicle. Im keeping these crushers on it for a while.

Well it seems that I'm going to have to pay for shipping and insurance for their assembly defect, not even a week after receiving it. This may seriously effect my consideration of any future Arrma purchases.

Well it seems that I'm going to have to pay for shipping and insurance for their assembly defect, not even a week after receiving it. This may seriously effect my consideration of any future Arrma purchases.

I think anyone who has had to send things into Arrma has had the same deal. I know I did the first time I sent me esc in. They shipped it back no charge. I'm sure it'll be the same story when I get around to sending thr esc/motor back in again. I pay to ship it there, they pay to send new stuff back. It sucks but at least your not paying for new parts and shipping.

I think anyone who has had to send things into Arrma has had the same deal. I know I did the first time I sent me esc in. They shipped it back no charge. I'm sure it'll be the same story when I get around to sending thr esc/motor back in again. I pay to ship it there, they pay to send new stuff back. It sucks but at least your not paying for new parts and shipping.
Metal. With my HD UJ situation I mentioned earlier. When I first called in - I got hobby shipper customer service and they totally blew me off. I was furious. Then I took a breath and calmed down and made sure to contact Tower hobbies cust service and they did me right. Just want to make sure u called Tower and not their Arrma distributor...

I've talked to both Arrma and Tower this morning. Pretty much the same response from both. Send their defect in on my dime. They will send me a new one. I guess I'm just used to 20 years of HPI / Tower service where if I had a problem, they fixed it no questions asked and never made me pay a single cent.

Ahh well... It's boxed, labeled and waiting for pickup. Gonna be a long, rainy Monday.

Last edited:
When I return stuff which is rare. I remember filling out the return sheet. That's a big box to send. Annoying yes. But when u receive the brand new truck - this will be worth the small headache. Very sorry to hear this. At least is a cold rainy day.

I'm only sending back the ESC and diff brain.

No diff brains at the LHS. He sent them back when the Neros did not sell. I guess I'm done with it until I get a package from Tower / Arrma.

MetalOne, which spektrum radio do you have and how did you get it to work with the diff brain? I have a dx4s and can't figure out how to get it to work. Thanks!

I have the DX4S too and an SR310 receiver. Here's how I did it.

White plug from Diff Brain goes to Aux1.

Assign your preferred switch on the controller to Aux1 3P.

Set Aux1 travels to 150%.

Set Dial (knob) or another switch to Aux1 Trim-

Set Trim Step on Aux1 to 20.

Diff Brain should now be functional by using the Aux 1, three position switch to cycle through the diff modes. The center position will make a servo chatter until the knob or trim switch is set to max trim in either direction.

Position 1 should be Blue. All diffs unlocked.
Position 2 is either Green (Wheelie) or Yellow (Drift) depending on which way the knob or second trim switch is set. **
Position 3 is Red. All diffs locked.

** I'm a little colorblind so I might have green and yellow backwards.

Be sure to test it off the ground. Run through all the modes and make sure it allows you to run them at max speed in both directions.

That should do it. This was working for me before the ESC died.

I tried a trim mix on a separate 2P switch to select between green and yellow modes with a single button press in either direction but it was not reliable after cycling power. The switch and trim knob combo worked great for me in the garage and I had no problems staying in blast mode on my first run. Unfortunately, I was having so much fun blasting up and down the street that I never tested the other modes under full load. No reason why they shouldn't work the same as in the garage, I just never had a chance to confirm it.

Also, I could not get the diff brain, the larger Spektrum RX and all the extra wiring inside the RX box. I had to remove the Spektrum RX from the plastic case, shrink wrap it and tape it plug side down like the Tactic RX comes installed. It's the only way everything else will fit in there. A slightly larger cover would be nice.

Last edited:
You, my friend, are amazing. This should be a sticky. I've been messing around with the switches and knobs for a month with little luck. I too am colorblind. Heck, I didn't even realize there was a yellow! Thanks so much for posting this.

Oh and as for the radio box, I got a Traxxas slash one, but can't find a good place to mount it. I wish Spektrum made smaller receivers...

No problem. Glad to share what I've figured out so far.

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up but the LHS usually gets their delivery from Great Planes on Thursday and he ordered a couple of Diff Brains on Monday so... fingers crossed.

If I get that 3D printer on my X-mas list, the first thing I'm going to design is a bigger RX box cover. :bookworm:

Alright. Got new Diff Brain. Fazon should run again tonight and be ready for the weekend. Supposed to be 65 degrees on Saturday. A nice change from the 20 degrees out there now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back