First R/C Car for A Youngster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjim

Old And In The Way!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Senton 6s
Hi, everybody

Mu grandson, who is almost 3, really likes watching me blast my Senton around the yard, and he's "driven" it a few times. He gets that you have to steer it, and ther trigger makes it go, but he hasn't got down the coordination between the two controls yet.

SO.....I'd like to get him his own car for Christmas, a small one, but one that has "real" controls; proportional steering and throttle. Some of the cheap stuff out there has bang-bang steering and on-off throttle, not the best way to learn!

I'm looking for something small that he can run around indoors, but stout enough that he can run it around the driveway and street in front of our house.

The LHS has some for $100~$130, and some of those even have 4WD. They also have some even smaller ones at about the $50~$60 point.

Any recommendations? What would you get your 3 year old kid or grandkid? My Senton would be a bit too much for him!

I'd say any one of them cheaper models at the LHS. Don't know what to recommend to a 3 yr old.

Its a difficult question to answer. My initial thought was a WLtoys 144001 as it has a great spec for the dollar but its a 2s model so its not like it could be halved in performance with 1s to make it viable so its more like an RC experienced 8-10 year olds 2nd or 3rd car.
Children of 3 years of age can have a pretty wide envelope of development of speed/distance and hand/eye co-ordination. A car that is slow enough to not put holes in interior doors and walls will likely get boring real fast outdoors... unless it has a particular capability that can make it more versatile.

So... I'm thinking rock crawler too. I'd look for something with an all metal drivetrain and lots of positive reviews.

Edit- Maybe you could gift him your Senton with some 2s Lipos... and then you have a legitimate excuse to buy yourself a nice 6s or 8s rig? :D

Last edited:
My son is almost 5 now , and drives the mini e revo 1 16 from for more than a year from Traxxas. With a little pinion, and the training mode(50%power) of the model, you can't go wrong. This rig is pretty durable, ones u put the rpm arms and a t bone bumber on it. And when the kid grows, you have any options to let him drive up to 50 mph. Was my first rig, and I'm still digging it. Buy a good one for lil more, instead of buying many. I think, if you go to the cheap section of the lhs. U will be buying another car, just a matter of time.

My son is almost 5 now , and drives the mini e revo 1 16 from for more than a year from Traxxas. With a little pinion, and the training mode(50%power) of the model, you can't go wrong. This rig is pretty durable, ones u put the rpm arms and a t bone bumber on it. And when the kid grows, you have any options to let him drive up to 50 mph. Was my first rig, and I'm still digging it. Buy a good one for lil more, instead of buying many. I think, if you go to the cheap section of the lhs. U will be buying another car, just a matter of time.

I like that approach... cant imagine it indoors though.
I let my 10 year old son learn on my 6S Typhon, I was amazed that it only took a few days before I was able to safely unrestrict it for him. He is totally down with it.. :)

Last edited:
I like that approach... cant imagine it indoors though.
I let my 10 year old son learn on my 6S Typhon, I was amazed that it only took a few days before I was able to safely unrestrict it for him. He is totally down with it.. :)
We have 50m2 playin room in my house, and with the right pinion, and experience outdoors u can ride it there. It's even a real monster truck, with all the hot wheels laying around ?

I swear honey - it’s for the kids! ??
1574515508986.jpeg

I'd say any one of them cheaper models at the LHS. Don't know what to recommend to a 3 yr old.
Get him a small toy grade car at Target or similar. Don't get them at LHS. You are just wasting your money. Get a 1/14 scalish type toy from a toy store. Trust me, that is "good enough". One with a wheel type radio. A radio small enough for his hands. My 10 year old has been there and done that. He developed the eye/hand skill on a wheel type radio with numerous toy grade RC cars and trucks. They "will" all break. And you toss them. Don't invest in anything Hobby grade. My son as an infant was eyeing my Hobby cars and trucks sitting on my shelves. While I was at work trying to pay the bills,, my stupid better half would let him take them and he would destroy them. Some were vintage shelf queens Race rigs from 30 years past! I tried to teach him some respect for others property but at a young age that doesn't penetrate. These are all just "Daddy's Toys". And Mommy lets him because well she could care less about my big boy toys and is mentally and socially challenged as an adult mother and person in general. But that's another story.
My son is now 10 and drives his own 6S Notorious for about 1 year now...sometimes as well as me, big air and all. He started with a 4S Lipo and gradually I got him running a 6S lipo. That is probably not the norm for his age. But he has demonstrated responsibility and control developed with the Toy RCs of his years past. He also has a Crawler and an AE Short Course 4x4 as well. Crawlers are slower and have visual appeal that a small child would like. If you are adamant about him having Hobby grade at this age, a Crawler may be more durable, but with supervision and, I am sure only you will provide! But remember the Radio needs to fit his hand. That was a struggle for my son when he was young. Hobby grade radios just don't fit that criteria. They are for adult hands.
So I eased him into it. Kids will even break hobby grade stuff. You will be a slave trying to keep them fixed and running. And your 3 year old wont appreciate that effort. Too young to comprehend. To the point it is not worth giving them Hobby grade at 3 years sold. They will get bored and always want that new one. They will break them, throw them down the stairs, see if they can Fly etc. Hobby grade is not "Infant friendly". And Its just not advised to do so. They can get hurt in ways you wouldn't think. 14+yoa only is the Rule in the Industry. Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts; exactly what I was looking for.

I have to go by the Target/CVS store today, and I know I've seen cheep R/C cars there. I'll stop and look and see what they have.

You're all correct; why waste the money on even a beginner 'hobby grade' car when he may not even care for it when he gets older.

If I get something today I'll post about it.

Thanks again!

I always had a love for RC. I always wanted my son to share the hobby together and like it also. Today' generation are all about video games. RC is a Great learning experience. a Because it is a tangible experience. Being out in the environment and all.I never forced it on my son. And he loves it alot nonetheless less. But he has Xbox and YT and I just want him well rounded. He is not into team sports. I tried that. But he is active and I try to keep him active.
.We didn't grow up with the things kids have nowadays. Good luck.

The kids "out here" don't seem to be into the phone/video game stuff as much as the kids back in SoCal. There's so many more outdoor things to do here than in The Big City.

I'm amazed to see all the youngsters with their Dads and Grandpas at the indoor track I go to. I agree, it's a great hobby to get kids into. They learn a lot of good, useful things, like how to use basic hand tools, some basic electricity, and how to be good sportsmen. The guy and his wife who run the track do their best to make it a family fun type of place, and they do an excellent job. Cause trouble, and you're told to leave. Do it a couple of times and you're told not to come back.

Yep, we didn't have all the toys and distraction growing up that young people do these days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back