Typhon First RC car since 15 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
This won't be anything special, but I'm pretty happy with my new toy and thought I'd share it. Also, I like badges.. ^^

Will keep it updated whenever I get around to change something.

Normally I don't feel like doing structural upgrades unless something broke.

I had a pretty nasty crash at like 50mph into a wall, that took out the chassis, front hinge pins, front a-arms, diff case and front center brace. So I upgraded the chassis, hinge pins and center braces to m2c parts. (did the rear parts too, because I like symmetry ^^)

Also added a pos front bumper, hoping that if something like this ever happens again, it might take off some of the impact and combined with the stronger parts, it hopefully will be enough to not crush the entire front yet again..

Also added a yeah racing heat sink and some aluminium fans for the motor, as it got really hot when bashing with the smaller hoons and tons of wheelspin. Also set the motor timing to 15° in the esc and upped my pinion to 18T, which both also helped with temperatures.

Besides that, I did the following:
  • Removed as much slop as I could (tips on getting rid of the steering slop appreciated)
  • Changed the bushings in the steering to BBs
  • Upgraded esc fan to aluminum one (broke the stock one somehow)
  • Changed tires to badlands or hoons, depending on what I do (don't really like the hoons, as I only get a couple of packs out of them with my driving style. If someone has some suggestions for different road tires let me know)
  • Changed diff fluids to 30k/100k/15k

Planned upgrades:
  • Better esc and motor (suggestions welcomed!)
  • Play around with harder springs and shock oil (the car got quite a bit heavier and it chassis slaps way more often now)
  • Whatever breaks next.. ^^

All in all it was a really good idea to start this hobby up again. Have to say I was surprised to see how much everything improved and how much power these things have now..

Also, thanks to everyone here who helped me out with my questions! My dad was the one to do the maintaining back in the day, so I still have to learn quite a lot..

16585066361888126223508409321956.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. As far as tires, around here seems like GRPs rule the day for on road you badlands are great for off road already.

Enjoy you new toy see if you can burn something for overuse!!!

Welcome aboard. As far as tires, around here seems like GRPs rule the day for on road you badlands are great for off road already.

Enjoy you new toy see if you can burn something for overuse!!!
Yeah, was thinking about giving them a try. Only read good things about them, they are pretty cheap and look good. What I dislike about them (same with the hoons) is that they only have 100mm diameter. Would really like something a bit bigger, to get a little more top end and less wheelspin. But that has to wait till next month, already went way above my "for fun budget" with getting her back in shape after the crash and some new batteries.

Also, thanks to everyone for your kind words!

You can add these shims to your wheel hex's.. it will vary on which one you use depending on the gap.. I think I used mostly the .2 doubled up on the kexb and maybe one .3 on a wheel.. also steering bell crank bushing suck so swap those for bearings!! Bash on!!

Screenshot_20220722-182314_eBay.jpg

You can add these shims to your wheel hex's.. it will vary on which one you use depending on the gap.. I think I used mostly the .2 doubled up on the kexb and maybe one .3 on a wheel.. also steering bell crank bushing suck so swap those for bearings!! Bash on!!

View attachment 231317
Did change the bushings already and funny enough I only have a miniscule amount of slop in the driveshafts. Will keep it that way, as too tight isn't good either. But thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, was thinking about giving them a try. Only read good things about them, they are pretty cheap and look good. What I dislike about them (same with the hoons) is that they only have 100mm diameter. Would really like something a bit bigger, to get a little more top end and less wheelspin. But that has to wait till next month, already went way above my "for fun budget" with getting her back in shape after the crash and some new batteries.

Also, thanks to everyone for your kind words!
Try the 107s I have them on now. From what I hear they should be ok up to 100mph but no further so for the stick system they're ok.

I was referring to your wheel hex's? 🤔
If I understood you right, you mean, that if you push/pull on your hexes, that they move in and out?
That's, if I'm not mistaken, the driveshaft that moves. Because the hexes are secured tightly on them.
So I guess, we are both talking about the same thing.

Try the 107s I have them on now. From what I hear they should be ok up to 100mph but no further so for the stick system they're ok.
Yeah looked at them, but I didn't like how wide they are.
I know I'm difficult.. :D

If I understood you right, you mean, that if you push/pull on your hexes, that they move in and out?
That's, if I'm not mistaken, the driveshaft that moves. Because the hexes are secured tightly on them.
So I guess, we are both talking about the same thing.

Yeah looked at them, but I didn't like how wide they are.
I know I'm difficult.. :D
No sir.. 🤣

Did quite some upgrades, but never got around to update this post, so here it is:
  • Steering improvents
    • 21kg ecoboost servo (went with this one, because I wanted the extra speed. It's stronger then the stock one, which hasn't felt weak to me in the first place, but now I'm thinking getting a torquier one and sacrifice a little speed for it might have been better. But oh well, will see how I like it once it's shipped. Can still order another one, luckily they're super cheap)
    • BBs in the Ackermann plate
    • Exb servo mount
    • Gpm servo horn and link (only using the link for now, since I still wait for the new servo)
    • Shimmed servo saver
  • Truggified
    • Kraton hubs
    • Kraton hexes
    • Kraton axle stubs
    • Mojave wheels
  • New motor and esc
    • Hobbywing 4985 1650kv
    • Max 6
    • 27/46 gearing (haven't had much chance to really test it out and temperatures are somewhat low, but for now the motor didn't break a sweat)
  • Random changes
    • New BBs all around
    • Tekno input cups
    • Gpm center diff mount (quite surprised with the quality of this one. Just bought it because it was like 6 bucks and I always hated the stock plastic part. Was a perfect fit and seems super sturdy)
    • Outcast wheelebar
    • 300k diff oil in the center
Plans for the future:
  • Suspension tuning
    • Finding the right combination of springs, oil, piston and preload to account for the added weight.
    • Finding the right amount of droop (had a problem with slight binding in the steering assembly, which only happened when the a-arms were fully "extended". But since the sun was about to go down I decided to "fix" it by lowering the ride height. Was blown away by how much it changes the handling.)
    • Maybe camber and toe once I figured the above 2 out.
  • New radio (while I don't see anything wrong with the stock one, I don't rly have anything to compare it to, besides 15+ year old gear. So I guess this could be a nice improvement too)
  • Thicker diff oil in the rear (and probably front too, to keep the 2/1 ratio). Since I just can't seem to hold a stable wheele and my thinking is, that it's diffing out too much and that's why the car wants to tip over.

16668751078395462905108314494204.jpg

Last edited:
After bending my shock towers, having heat issues with both my motor and esc and the motor smashing into the chassis while sending it, I had to do some changes again:
  • M2c shock towers
  • M2c shock standoffs
  • PPS motor mount
  • 2 40mm fans for the motor
  • Upgraded the esc fan
  • Talion rear springs
  • Optional Mojave front springs
  • 1k cst shock oil all around
  • Went down to 25t pinion
  • 60k front, 30k rear diff oil
Not too happy with the fan cables being zip tied to the top of the motor mount. If someone has a suggestion on how to do it better, let me know!

Also waiting for my cnhl batteries to arrive, always used cheapo 3s batteries and now decided to go for some decent 6s packs with the black friday sales.

16694127488133024415841705790021.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back