Granite First RC for 5 and 7 year old -> Voltage Longevity??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRP

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am looking to get into this hobby with my two sons doing general bashing around open areas.
In South Africa the local hobby shops generally don't stock the larger brands (Traxxas, Arrma) instead ones like HSP, WLToys, ECX so I will most likely be ordering parts online anyway (ouch)
I am looking to get a truck for myself that I will grow into, even if I am inexperienced and I have my heart set on a Kraton V3 which I can get a good deal on when we visit the UK next month.
My predicament is what to get for my two boys. I want something 1/10 so they don't struggle in open fields too much and something they can also grow into.
I was about to pull the trigger on the Granite Voltage 2WD but I am worried about how long it will be around for and its durability (I see tons of people breaking diff outdrives and stock shortages). I see a lot of shops having clearance sales which to me signals a replacement is coming or the voltage line is going.
The Granite 3S BLX looks great but it comes at a significant cost vs the Voltage and I need to buy two of them :)
Any suggestions you can offer, even outside the Arrma brand? The WLtoys looks interesting as the spares are cheap and easily importable in South Africa but I don't see something in the 1/10 scale.
Something that can run 2s would also be great as we can then have common packs and if possible <$150 each.
Thanks a lot

I'd bit the bullet and get a brushless system. You'll be upgrading a voltage eventually as those boys grow.
You can get the granite in two different colors to which is a plus

Thanks for the suggestion, I keep going in circles.
I decide it makes sense to get a "future proof" platform but I then realize I am spending $600 on a first truck for a 5/7 year old so I go back to the 2WD entry models. Getting them different cars (bigger one for the older) will also cause rivalry.
The Granite Voltages looks perfect (can run 2s) but I something is up with all of them on clearance sale.

2s max. 2wd not good in grass.
299$ for granite blx in the states
My daughter drives a slash 4x4 brushless. She's 10. Can rip my outcast to. Fun to hear her wheelie giggle ???
She started with a stampede brushless at age 8. Didn't last long she wanted faster?That was before I became an arrma nut

Last edited:
I meant $600 for two. Also looking at the Entry 2WD Stampede for $189 but the consensus I am seeing is running 2s on brushed motors puts the car on the limit.
Its like I know what I should buy (Granite BLX) but I cant stomach the cost for their first RC :)

I'd give a strong look at the ECX 1/10 2wd trucks over the current Arrma 2wd offerings. I started my oldest with a Torment (brushless) and it had been great. A few breaks, but nothing chronic, it has maybe $30 in upgrades to make it almost bulletproof. It now runs a brushed system for my second son - he does not really like fast cars, I may need to get him a crawler... =)

Also, ECX has a kit version of their AMP MT, if you like to build.

I meant $600 for two. Also looking at the Entry 2WD Stampede for $189 but the consensus I am seeing is running 2s on brushed motors puts the car on the limit.
Its like I know what I should buy (Granite BLX) but I cant stomach the cost for their first RC :)
At least you know what you should do then. The rest is up to you. You’re right tho. The Granite BLX 3S 4x4 is the way to go for a first off-road rig. I made the mistake of starting with the Granite Mega 4x4 as the BLX version was released a few weeks later. If I had just waited a few weeks, or been a member here, I might have found better advice.

I'd give a strong look at the ECX 1/10 2wd trucks over the current Arrma 2wd offerings. I started my oldest with a Torment (brushless) and it had been great. A few breaks, but nothing chronic, it has maybe $30 in upgrades to make it almost bulletproof. It now runs a brushed system for my second son - he does not really like fast cars, I may need to get him a crawler... =)

Also, ECX has a kit version of their AMP MT, if you like to build.

Funny enough I have also been digging into these today and they are even available in South Africa.
Any suggestions on which one? (AMP / Ruckus / Circuit)?
What about the 4WD versions, they are around 15% more than the 2WD but I have not found anybody suggesting them
At least you know what you should do then. The rest is up to you. You’re right tho. The Granite BLX 3S 4x4 is the way to go for a first off-road rig. I made the mistake of starting with the Granite Mega 4x4 as the BLX version was released a few weeks later. If I had just waited a few weeks, or been a member here, I might have found better advice.
Knowing what to do and doing it is a different story :p
As usual with most things like this the more you look the more you spec creep and end up way over where you first started.

The ECX 4wd had a few issues with the slipper and diffs when it was first released. I think these issues were resolved a few years ago, but ECX did not do a V1 / V2 change like ARMA does. But, this change was several years ago, so any old stock should be gone from hobby shops. Also, the ECX 4 wheel drive only comes with brushed power. Brushed motors do not often last very long in heavy four-wheel drive trucks, so you will need to expect to replace it after a dozen or so runs. Maybe more if you don't drive in Grass much.

As far as which version, that is mostly personal preference, but for a kid's Basher, big tires makes it able to handle more Terrain. Because of this, I would say Ruckus would be the best bet. Second choice would be either torment, or amp Mt.

Ecx has a great brushed line. And like another big manufacturer, the transmission and differentials utilize all metal gears so when it’s time for brushless power, you don’t need to worry about a transmission overhaul. The motors they use are durable and so are the speed controls because those trucks are so simple and light.

The outdrives are the biggest problem part on the voltages, but there are a number of metal parts that you can use to replace them if they break. There is a big thread about it in this forum. Other than that, the stock truck is pretty durable, and even the brushed motor is OK given the low weight of the truck. It will break more from running into solid objects than from wear and tear. However, there isn't a whole lot of room to grow with the voltage. You can convert it to brushless, but the battery box limits what batteries you can use. I managed to convert mine to a 3S system, but I have to use a smaller 3000mah 3S battery meant for drones and such because all my 3S batteries with more capacity are too tall to fit in the battery box.

As for other options, the ARRMA 3S vehicles really are quite good. Also, the Losi Tenacity-T just got a price drop recently as well to $250, which I feel makes it pretty attractive. It is also a 3S vehicle, and with any of these 3S's I mentioned you can start the kids out on 2S, and move to 3S when they are ready. The Losi's remote also has a three-position throttle limit switch to slow the truck down that way as well. Of course, that switch didn't keep my own son from running right into the back of my foot while I was wearing sandals, but at least it was slow enough that is just left a large bruise rather than tearing my tendon!

I don't have any experience with HSP, ECX, or WLToys, so I can't speak to those.

Also, the ECX 4 wheel drive only comes with brushed power.

The Circuit and Ruckus are available in 4wd brushless. ;)

I have a brushless 4wd circuit and my son has an Amp. I like the ECX 2wd chassis much more than the 4wd. The 2wd is easy to upgrade and fairly bulletproof. Truth be told, I kind of regretted buying the 4wd brushless circuit after the first time I drove it. You live and you learn I guess. :ROFLMAO:

Ecx has a great brushed line. And like another big manufacturer, the transmission and differentials utilize all metal gears so when it’s time for brushless power, you don’t need to worry about a transmission overhaul. The motors they use are durable and so are the speed controls because those trucks are so simple and light.
Worth pointing out, for the two wheel drive ECX brushed cars, the metal gears are an option. The brushed model comes with plastic gears in the transmission, the brushless model comes with metal gears. This was one of the big drivers for my decision to get my son the brushless torment instead of the brush torment. However, this was also when I was first restarting the Hobby, and I never had brushless before this truck. Boy was I surprised as to how much power those little Motors can put out. LOL. That truck crashed a lot as he tried to learn how to drive RC, with an overpowered RC. I can very much a attest, that those two wheel drive torment are very very durable. LOL

Worth pointing out, for the two wheel drive ECX brushed cars, the metal gears are an option. The brushed model comes with plastic gears in the transmission, the brushless model comes with metal gears. This was one of the big drivers for my decision to get my son the brushless torment instead of the brush torment. However, this was also when I was first restarting the Hobby, and I never had brushless before this truck. Boy was I surprised as to how much power those little Motors can put out. LOL. That truck crashed a lot as he tried to learn how to drive RC, with an overpowered RC. I can very much a attest, that those two wheel drive torment are very very durable. LOL
Oh damn! I didn’t know it was optional. I bought a brushed torment 2wd in 2012 and the store only had metal geared ones, good catch. And yup they really are built very well. But man, I’d hate to bring this name back up, but looking online it’s not much more for a brushed Traxxas slash 2wd, and that’s also an extremely durable platform. (Just google it before you criticize me, they build very solid brushed trucks) I don’t recommend anyone to buy any of their high powered vehicles, but their starter trucks are really built extremely well. Then again you’re paying like $210 instead of $170 for an ecx, but the aftermarket support for those is just insane. So many stuff available you can hit 100mph on one day with a hotracing transmission and other aluminum parts, then throw some rpm stuff on and go bashing in the dirt.

Edit: nevermind, I see they’re in the $220 to $230 range. Might as well buy a 3s truck at that point, skip the slash!

I'd go with the Granite BLX. Yes it's more money up front but may save you a few bucks in upgrades. It will also save you from having to buy new trucks in a year or two as your kids learn and progress. You could always split the cost and get them as "Birthday" gifts, that may hold off the rivalry long enough to get both trucks.

Dang, people run away from brushed trucks like the plague now :( they really aren’t that bad. I got a brushed stadium truck in the 90’s and I could’ve sworn that thing went 50! In reality it was more like 19 with that old school 20 turn stinger motor and NOVAK speed control, but for 11 year old me, that was rocket fast! And the best part is that it didn’t go fast enough to ever break it unless you really wanted to hurt it.

Dang, people run away from brushed trucks like the plague now :( they really aren’t that bad. I got a brushed stadium truck in the 90’s and I could’ve sworn that thing went 50! In reality it was more like 19 with that old school 20 turn stinger motor and NOVAK speed control, but for 11 year old me, that was rocket fast! And the best part is that it didn’t go fast enough to ever break it unless you really wanted to hurt it.
Yeah, this. I think people forget what it was like to be a kid and finally get your first REAL RC with a BIG 540 silver can! Man, I was in heaven! Lol

Brushed cars can still have big fun. But, yeah, the motors don't last long, and often the Brushless version comes with lots of needed upgrades.

I'm not against brushed trucks, it's just that these kids learn a lot faster than we did. And once they're bored with something they'll drive you up the wall for the next step. It's just easier, for my peace of mind anyway, to get the next step now and dumb it down a bit until they get caught up.
Though I really don't need to deal with any of that now, my kid is grown and the grandmonsters I get to send back when they start.

If you could afford it just get them the new 4s kraton or outcast the new spectrum transmitter has a option for speed 50% 75% and 100%. Then they can grow into them and be able to bash faster and harder when they become more experienced. My 5 year old daughter owns the 3s big rock she can get it going pretty good I'm still working on getting it more balanced as it likes to roll on turns. But my opinion is the new 4s line they will have plenty of parts for a while and they are beast for a 1/10th scale. As for you the kraton v3 is an amazing truck to get I love my kraton's
I'm not against brushed trucks, it's just that these kids learn a lot faster than we did. And once they're bored with something they'll drive you up the wall for the next step. It's just easier, for my peace of mind anyway, to get the next step now and dumb it down a bit until they get caught up.
Though I really don't need to deal with any of that now, my kid is grown and the grandmonsters I get to send back when they start.
I have 2 brushed vehicles and my daughter's hate them they are still good for my 2 year old but my 5 year old just wants the speed lol I agree she got,bored really fast with the brushed systems

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and guidance!
So hard to know which way to go. I am worried about over investing and they don’t take to it.
Birthday is a good suggestion, problem is theirs are 3 days apart :oops:

To give some positioning here is the pricing I see in the uk (GBP)

ECX AMP 100 (South africa price converted)
Granite voltage 119
ECX Ruckus 4wd 179
Stampede xl5 179
Granite BLX 3s 269
Kraton 4s 359
Kraton 6s 399

Going brushless means almost 3x the price ( and I have to buy two :cry:). The 4s Kraton is so close the 6s pricing. I am leaning towards the ECX amp, I can buy it locally and if they don’t get into it is not a huge loss.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back