Granite First RC for 5 and 7 year old -> Voltage Longevity??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a ECX Circuit and a ECX Ruckus I would pick either one of them before I would buy the AMP. The AMP comes with a 2 in 1 esc/rx and I believe is only something like a 30amp esc. The esc on the AMP is only nimh capable also no lipo cutoff. The Circuit has smaller tires but has a 15t turn motor vs the AMP's 20t motor, comes with a lipo charger and lipo battery. Neither the lipo battery and charger are all that great but still better than the nimh charger and nimh battery that comes with the AMP. The AMP with it's 2 in esc/rx is very limited to go any better motor than the motor it comes with. The Ruckus has what the Circuit has but as can already tell bigger tires and longer wheelbase. I have more fun with my Ruckus than my Circuit but neither one is stock (both upgraded formerly brushed). If you go with the AMP the BTD kit could be fun to build with your kids ECX 2wd's are pretty easy to work on. ECX parts can have the feeling of a wet noodle which makes them durable but bad for handling.

If you decide to go the ECX route check out the sister ARRMA forum site the ECX forum. IMO go with whatever you feel your boys will like get them involved visit a LHS and see what catches their eye. Whether it be parts support, price of parts, being able to upgrade it cheaper, better out of the box or a host of other things every brand has a strength or weakness vs another. Despite the hatred some have on this forum and others for Traxxas they have the part support and aftermarket support. You may pay more for a Traxxas upfront or in the long run but at least you can almost always get parts. The 6s line is a proven winner for Arrma. Arrma/Horizon is still trying to find it's footing in the 1/10th scale so designs can change and models be discontinued. Good for innovation but bad for parts support.

+2 on the ecx trucks. Ruckus, circuit, and imo torment are all very solid. Go with those. The people telling you to get a 6s Kraton are crazy lol. This kid is 7.

Grow a pair and stop crying about people giving more feasible advice than yourself please, I do my best to not respond but if you’re gonna keep at it, it’s just gonna result in an ignore dude.

Uh...very first post on this page, jondilly1974 suggested a Kraton 6S. I assumed that is what Peanut’s post was referring to.
Thank you, this is a mega face palm every interaction with this guy.

Uh...very first post on this page, jondilly1974 suggested a Kraton 6S. I assumed that is what Peanut’s post was referring to.
I said either a BLX 3S or jump to the 6S, as in don’t bother with the 4S line.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
I am still undecided, waiting for the UK shops to get more stock and then I will impulsively pull the trigger.

I am still going round and round in circles here as to what to get the boys.
What options does one have for a brushed 2WD truck that can be cost effectively upgraded in the future to 4WD Brushless?
I guess the upgrade isnt possible with the Granite Voltage chassis and with the ECX AMP one would need a new Receiver due to the COMBO.
With the budget I have I either get them a 3S Granite BLX to share (and limit the throttle) or try find a 2WD Brushed truck they can both have with a affordable path to move to 4WD Brushless when they get bored.

What options does one have for a brushed 2WD truck that can be cost effectively upgraded in the future to 4WD Brushless?
I guess the upgrade isnt possible with the Granite Voltage chassis and with the ECX AMP one would need a new Receiver due to the COMBO.
With the budget I have I either get them a 3S Granite BLX to share (and limit the throttle) or try find a 2WD Brushed truck they can both have with a affordable path to move to 4WD Brushless when they get bored.

I don't know of anything 2wd that can made into a 4wd. The Granite Voltage can handle most terrain with it's tires don't necessarily need 4wd. I run brushless in my Voltage all that I see really needed is metal outdrive cups which I have Kraton input cups. Of course you will then need a brushless setup, servo and another tx/rx unless you can find a Ikonnik Krypton receiver to work with the stock transmitter. If you go with the Voltage I could give you a couple budget suggestions for a tx/rx and brushless setup.

I don't know how your kids are but I didn't want to stand by and watch others running their RC's when I was a kid. I wanted my own and didn't want to have to ask or wait to use one. One nice RC is a way to go but I think it would be more fun if they could run together at the same time.

One brand I think you might to look at with your budget is DHK. Though I don't know how hard getting parts in your country might be. Parts are available online and can be made brushless fairly easily.

I don’t know of a 2WD truck that can be upgraded to 4WD ??‍♂️

I would buy one Granite BLX now and add a second later if they like it. Only buy 2S lipos for now to keep them tamed.

You can also go for a Tamiya DT-03 Neo Fighter.
They are cheap and durable kits and you will have to build these, which (in my opinion) is fun to do with kids and you learn a lot about the cars.
A ton of upgrades are available and brushless is possible.

Just a thought to make it worse :happy:

+1 for the ECX Ruckus if you want RTR

I don't know of anything 2wd that can made into a 4wd. The Granite Voltage can handle most terrain with it's tires don't necessarily need 4wd. I run brushless in my Voltage all that I see really needed is metal outdrive cups which I have Kraton input cups. Of course you will then need a brushless setup, servo and another tx/rx unless you can find a Ikonnik Krypton receiver to work with the stock transmitter. If you go with the Voltage I could give you a couple budget suggestions for a tx/rx and brushless setup.

I don't know how your kids are but I didn't want to stand by and watch others running their RC's when I was a kid. I wanted my own and didn't want to have to ask or wait to use one. One nice RC is a way to go but I think it would be more fun if they could run together at the same time.

One brand I think you might to look at with your budget is DHK. Though I don't know how hard getting parts in your country might be. Parts are available online and can be made brushless fairly easily.

This is exactly my worry, will they not got into the the hobby because they spend half the time standing around.
Okay so clear you can’t upgrade to 4WD, what about the upgrade to brushless?
Which 2WD drive truckwill one be able to be upgraded to brushless without changing out too much?
I looked at the 4WD ruckus but people on horizon complain about the motor not lasting due to the 4wd drivetrain.
Move to the ECX Brutus 2WD and a YouTube videos shows gears being stripped on first run.
Round a round I go!

What is the typical cost invoked in converting the voltage to Brushless for the radio esc and motor? Also what needs to be changed to make it survive the brushless motor?

Last edited:
Cost is highly variable, but I’d say you are looking at $100 minimum to go brushless on a voltage. You can get a used transmitter/receiver combo for $30, and an inexpensive motor/ESC combo for $60. You can also pay much more! For the Voltage, you will also need a servo, but once again you can get those very cheap, especially from places like JRC. $10-$15.

As far as what you need to upgrade on a voltage, really just the outdrives on the differential. You can replace both with metal parts for $30-$40. Other than that, the Voltage is generally ok. You don’t need the longer 550 can motors for the voltage. A 540 size (sometimes called 3650) brushless motor is fine.

I’ve just bought a granite 3s blx and a typhoon 3s blx for my 6yr old and I to play with in the local park. I got a 3s and a 2s battery. I tape a bit of card to the controller to tame the car in the garden. The granite on 3s is blisteringly fast and I feel no desire for myself for anything faster. Limiting the throttle with card makes it very manageable for my son.

I highly recommend getting 2 of the 3s blx. That way you'd kids can race each other and you can have a turn with them. Maybe get 2x 2s batteries and 1x 3s for yourself.

I can carry these two cars in a one of the large ikea bags.

Attachments

• 82882CAF-6478-4765-8ABD-CFBB87E36B76.jpeg
    82882CAF-6478-4765-8ABD-CFBB87E36B76.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 46
I’ve just bought a granite 3s blx and a typhoon 3s blx for my 6yr old and I to play with in the local park. I got a 3s and a 2s battery. I tape a bit of card to the controller to tame the car in the garden. The granite on 3s is blisteringly fast and I feel no desire for myself for anything faster. Limiting the throttle with card makes it very manageable for my son.

I highly recommend getting 2 of the 3s blx. That way you'd kids can race each other and you can have a turn with them. Maybe get 2x 2s batteries and 1x 3s for yourself.

I can carry these two cars in a one of the large ikea bags.
I have the same exact lineup, but I don’t share ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back