Granite First RC for 5 and 7 year old -> Voltage Longevity??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they make a nice pair. Either end of spectrum. 1 wheelying/sliding monster and 1 more focused with nice handling.
Yep I actually started with a Granite Mega 4x4 and quickly desired a brushless version. About a month or two after buying the Mega, they released the BLX, so I had to buy one. Quickly grew bored of constant wheelies and decided to swap for the long wheelbase and turn it into a Typhon. That went so well I thought, let’s make this a 4S monster. Then I said why leave my Granites in pieces, I should rebuild the BLX. So I did that recently and am back to a Granite BLX 3S and a Typhon 4S.

This is exactly my worry, will they not got into the the hobby because they spend half the time standing around.
Okay so clear you can’t upgrade to 4WD, what about the upgrade to brushless?
Which 2WD drive truckwill one be able to be upgraded to brushless without changing out too much?
I looked at the 4WD ruckus but people on horizon complain about the motor not lasting due to the 4wd drivetrain.
Move to the ECX Brutus 2WD and a YouTube videos shows gears being stripped on first run.
Round a round I go!
What is the typical cost invoked in converting the voltage to Brushless for the radio esc and motor? Also what needs to be changed to make it survive the brushless motor?

You can upgrade a ECX 2wd brushed model with just getting the metal gear diff and of course the cost of a brushless combo of your choice (upgrading the AMP is at least the cost of a compatible receiver also). The rest can be done over time like upgrading the steering. The diffs of the 4X4 ECX have given some problems with brushless motors and the brushed motor I just generally don't like a brushed motor in a 1/10 scale 4x4 I have never had much luck with them (overheating burning up). Really the cost of upgrading a brushed model of anything if there is a brushless model available it's just better to get the brushless model in the first place if your planning to go brushless anyway. If you want something different than what may come stock on a brushless model than you can start with a brushed model and change things to whatever you want.

If you don't mind waiting for some parts to arrive from like China and run the Voltage stock until parts arrive I have some suggestions.

One of these brushless combos (I run a motor similar to the 3300kv one) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881739326.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi the esc is a rebrand Hobbbywing and the motor the way the wires exit the motor from the back make it easier to mount.
TX/RX https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32701262620.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi good size remote for kids with a throttle limiter up top.
Servo https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952321304.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi

All the above stuff can be used on other brushless conversions also not just the Voltage. Too many options to list from very cheap to very expensive. You can go cheap like Goolrc esc/motor combos but for beginners best to go with something a little more reliable and experiment with the cheaper stuff later.

You can upgrade a ECX 2wd brushed model with just getting the metal gear diff and of course the cost of a brushless combo of your choice (upgrading the AMP is at least the cost of a compatible receiver also). The rest can be done over time like upgrading the steering. The diffs of the 4X4 ECX have given some problems with brushless motors and the brushed motor I just generally don't like a brushed motor in a 1/10 scale 4x4 I have never had much luck with them (overheating burning up). Really the cost of upgrading a brushed model of anything if there is a brushless model available it's just better to get the brushless model in the first place if your planning to go brushless anyway. If you want something different than what may come stock on a brushless model than you can start with a brushed model and change things to whatever you want.

If you don't mind waiting for some parts to arrive from like China and run the Voltage stock until parts arrive I have some suggestions.

One of these brushless combos (I run a motor similar to the 3300kv one) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881739326.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi the esc is a rebrand Hobbbywing and the motor the way the wires exit the motor from the back make it easier to mount.
TX/RX https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32701262620.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi good size remote for kids with a throttle limiter up top.
Servo https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952321304.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.43c82e0e7ndogi

All the above stuff can be used on other brushless conversions also not just the Voltage. Too many options to list from very cheap to very expensive. You can go cheap like Goolrc esc/motor combos but for beginners best to go with something a little more reliable and experiment with the cheaper stuff later.

WOW, thank you for all the links and detail, so around $100 upgrade which then puts you close to the Granite BLX:rolleyes:
So many variables are running through my head which I am trying to balance.
- Keeping the 7 year old happy with something "future proof" but not too crazy for the 5 year old.
- Getitng something simple for their first car like an EXC AMP and not worrying about upgrading it
- Possibly getting two different cars (Granite, Typhon) for them to share but then who "owns" which car as I want them to entrench responsibility in them of looking after something which is theirs.

My thoughts are a mess so sorry for the round about, I actually don't think any one can really give me clarity given my ultimate optimization personality. :oops:

WOW, thank you for all the links and detail, so around $100 upgrade which then puts you close to the Granite BLX:rolleyes:
- Keeping the 7 year old happy with something "future proof" but not too crazy for the 5 year old.
- Getitng something simple for their first car like an EXC AMP and not worrying about upgrading it
- Possibly getting two different cars (Granite, Typhon) for them to share but then who "owns" which car as I want them to entrench responsibility in them of looking after something which is theirs.

My thoughts are a mess so sorry for the round about, I actually don't think any one can really give me clarity given my ultimate optimization personality. :oops:

Depending on where you are you might consider checking availability of last year models since they came with the better tactic ttx300 radio. So here in UK for example, the granite 3s is no longer available but the typhon and big rock still are. Soon it will be the newer model with spektrum.

Depending on where you are you might consider checking availability of last year models since they came with the better tactic ttx300 radio. So here in UK for example, the granite 3s is no longer available but the typhon and big rock still are. Soon it will be the newer model with spektrum.

Is the newer radio that bad? I thought it would be better for the kids because of the 50% throttle limiter? Remember we have nothing to compare it to as these will be our first real RC cars.
I am going to buying the cars in the UK when I am there next month.
As you say I can’t find any old 3s granites but some shops still have the BRCC. The handling on the BRCC worries me, I see people talking about it rollling easily so would prefer the Granite.
I can also get my hands on a V3 Kraton for 50 pounds less than a V4, not sure if that is worth it.

Is the newer radio that bad? I thought it would be better for the kids because of the 50% throttle limiter? Remember we have nothing to compare it to as these will be our first real RC cars.
As you say I can’t find any old 3s granites but some shops still have the BRCC. The handling on the BRCC worries me, I see people talking about it rollling easily so would prefer the Granite.
I can also get my hands on a V3 Kraton for 50 pounds less than a V4, not sure if that is worth it.

I've not used newer radio but enough people saying it's bad to put me off, particularly reports of losing control of car.
Also reports that the limiter only affects top speed so still very strong acceleration. Hence some blutac or taped cardboard probably better. Probably best check with spektrum though.
I stuck to 3s cars primarily for size and weight since I carry to park. I wouldn't worry too much about stability of big rock. Half the fun is them rolling over. Plus careful use of throttle and adjusting steering strength can tame them pretty well.

The Granite will flip and roll more often than the BRCC. They are essentially the same truck, except the BRCC is long wheelbase (LWB) like the Typhon, Senton, and Kraton, and the Granite is SWB like the Outcast. The SWB trucks are made for wheelies. The others are capable of wheelies, but take a little more input.

The Granite will flip and roll more often than the BRCC. They are essentially the same truck, except the BRCC is long wheelbase (LWB) like the Typhon, Senton, and Kraton, and the Granite is SWB like the Outcast. The SWB trucks are made for wheelies. The others are capable of wheelies, but take a little more input.

I've just taken a typhon on 2s and a granite on 3s down the park with a friend and the typhon flipped more! I think because I had the steering setup a bit faster.

We did manage to use the granite to push the typhon back on it's wheels though :) Helpful chap.

Granite induced more smiles than Typhon.

They are both great - I'm sure the BigRock is too but I don't like the body much.

I think I'd like a 4s Kraton once they have stabalised. Love the Kraton/Typhon look.

I've just taken a typhon on 2s and a granite on 3s down the park with a friend and the typhon flipped more! I think because I had the steering setup a bit faster.

We did manage to use the granite to push the typhon back on it's wheels though :) Helpful chap.

Granite induced more smiles than Typhon.

They are both great - I'm sure the BigRock is too but I don't like the body much.

I think I'd like a 4s Kraton once they have stabalised. Love the Kraton/Typhon look.

My Typhon traction rolls more than my Granite, but that’s more about the wheels and tires I choose than the truck.

Yeah it can get expensive upgrading a brushed model which is why I said if the ultimate goal is brushless better to buy the brushless model if one is available for what you want to buy. If you look around forums there are a lot of people asking about going brushless for good reason better motor reliability not just monstrous speed. Anything you buy you will eventually more than likely end up upgrading. Brushed is fine for beginners mainly because of the usual slower speed vs brushless. But brushless doesn't have to be that much faster than brushed I will continue to say just get a lower kv motor and you can have comparable brushed speeds. Going faster though ends up breaking more parts plus ends up costing more upgrading replacing parts. As skills improve the want to go faster increases and most get bored of brushed speed then go brushless.

I will say again pay now or pay later down the road it's totally up to you which way you want to go.

I wouldn't let the radio deter you from buying a BLX even if it came with the STX2. The radio i mentioned above (Goolrc TG-3) can be had for less than $25 and fix that it's what I use in my Granite right now just have to wait for shipping.

The BRCC really just has taller Short Course Truck tires. Tall skinny tires just leads to flipping. The BRCC gives you what a lot of people end up doing with a SCT and make it a monster SCT. You have the LWB of a SCT but with a monster truck body so no cutting up or raising a SCT body to accommodate running bigger tires. It's similar to what ECX and the Ruckus 2wd using a Torment SCT length chassis but the Ruckus has wider wheels.

I don't own a 6s but I keep hearing just get a 6s instead I might be wrong but not sure a 1/8 scale is the best to start out with. 1/10 scale is the best place to start IMHO.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.
I have settled on a 6s Kraton for myself and Granite BLXs for the boys.
Grabbing some 3s and 2s Lipos. That way I can run 3s in the Kraton to start and work my way up 4s till 6s eventually. The boys can start on 2s with the throttle limited.

Any suggestions for some “must have” spare parts I should grab?

Also looking for a good starter tool kit, preferably available in the UK. Have seen the tools thread but most seem to be individual tools.

Going to get an ISDT Q6 Charger, seems to be the best bang for your buck with an external cheap 24v meanwell clone power supply.

The Granite should be good on 2S as long as they don’t smash into trees at full speed. So it’s hard to say which parts you should stock. I would venture to say maybe some bearings or 17mm wheel hubs and tires? On 2S it’s pretty indestructible.

Buy some extra plastic axles for the Granites. They are a very common failure point. It’s usually cheaper to buy a set of 4 from a kit breaker than buying them retail, assuming you are in the US. Also, the kit breakers leave the metal axles installed, so you don’t have to try to save the old ones like you do if you buy them new in a bag from a hobby shop.

The Voltages are (I think) being discontinued, but you can get them RTR for $100 US. At that price, I'd suggest it for your kids, and purchase a handful of Differential Outdrive cups along with your order. They are pretty sturdy, and at that price your kids can destroy them without too much worry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back