Vorteks First Repair, wheel came off at spline.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbstriker

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Vorteks
Bought a Vorteks not too long ago, only put a pack through it a couple weeks back. Was going to run it up at a family lake property this weekend and threw it into the car and noticed the front wheel had come off at the spline. The fastener apparently backed out. I have it minimally apart and wondering if it’s something that should have some loctite, seeing as it’s metal to metal.

1A62B7EC-C64B-4C66-BA22-E7D62FA247D8.jpeg

0B6B6F40-E860-4F1D-B0B7-37B6C2D615CC.jpeg

Yes. Loctite.

There have been historically lots of posts about loose wheel axles from the factory. Bad QC and no loctite. It only happened now, lucky. so check maybe diff fluids, that the diff crown gear is greased, shock fluids, slipper clutch adjustment screw, shocks over or underfilled and gear mesh.

On both my trucks the diffs were half filled blah blah skipper clutch was too tight and gear mesh was too tight.

I never did these first run checks and the newest car was a kit but if I ever get another RTR I will be opening all these things up to check.

Yes. Loctite.

There have been historically lots of posts about loose wheel axles from the factory. Bad QC and no loctite. It only happened now, lucky. so check maybe diff fluids, that the diff crown gear is greased, shock fluids, slipper clutch adjustment screw, shocks over or underfilled and gear mesh.

On both my trucks the diffs were half filled blah blah skipper clutch was too tight and gear mesh was too tight.

I never did these first run checks and the newest car was a kit but if I ever get another RTR I will be opening all these things up to check.

I did a complete check up on my Vorteks when I got it. I am glad I did, as there where lots of minor assembly errors.

I won't drive an RC straight out of the box ever again. It's gratifying to find out and fix assembly errors out of the box...and it's nice to be able to run a few packs without any problem. :)

I am pretty new. A year ago we just grabbed an rtr and ran it into the ground. Now we're a lot more informed. I can't imagine repeating all the mistakes we made when we started again.

I bought a Vorteks for my son this last week. We are doing a homeschool class on RC, and my boys got to choose which 3s they wanted, and he wanted the Vorteks. I appreciate the forum so much, because I knew there would be some issues like this out of the box. The Vorteks has been completely disassembled so he can build it from the ground up. Sure enough, the gear mesh was too tight, the slipper clutch was too tight, the diffs were not even half full, and the wheel Axel screws were not tight and had no loctite. We aren't worried, since we were planning to take it apart anyway. Great lessons for him to learn.

I bought a Vorteks for my son this last week. We are doing a homeschool class on RC, and my boys got to choose which 3s they wanted, and he wanted the Vorteks. I appreciate the forum so much, because I knew there would be some issues like this out of the box. The Vorteks has been completely disassembled so he can build it from the ground up. Sure enough, the gear mesh was too tight, the slipper clutch was too tight, the diffs were not even half full, and the wheel Axel screws were not tight and had no loctite. We aren't worried, since we were planning to take it apart anyway. Great lessons for him to learn.
Sick. Go break it now! That's when the hobby begins! My kid thought it was a total loss when the MEGA he bought with his birthday dough (and some dad subsidy) died.

Then I showed him why the truck was so costly at first: you can get parts and repair it and it is way cheaper than getting another and then another poop RC every time they break.

To me it's all about making a problem and then fixing it and for the most part it's visually obvious what the problem is. It's just all about having the will to repair it.

Totally a valuable lesson to have the confidence to break down a machine, diagnose a problem, get the parts and then fix it.

That is becoming a lost art.

Sick. Go break it now! That's when the hobby begins! My kid thought it was a total loss when the MEGA he bought with his birthday dough (and some dad subsidy) died.

Then I showed him why the truck was so costly at first: you can get parts and repair it and it is way cheaper than getting another and then another poop RC every time they break.

To me it's all about making a problem and then fixing it and for the most part it's visually obvious what the problem is. It's just all about having the will to repair it.

Totally a valuable lesson to have the confidence to break down a machine, diagnose a problem, get the parts and then fix it.

That is becoming a lost art.
We haven't built it yet, but he is very excited to get to the building and the breaking!

Back