Mojave First Run Thoughts... Kraton vs Mojave.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxr006

Reaction score
I was able to drive my MEXB for the first time today:

Build:
Servo:
Pro Modeler DS555BLHV. The best servo ive ever used. This servo makes the amazon servos feel like the STX remotes. I would say, if you can afford one splurge this is the one you get. and i'm running on 6v and it's sooo powerful. i'll probably never use this at 7.4v
Radio/Receiver: Radiolink rc6gs v2. Everything they say about range is legit. We were able to take it so far, you could barely see the truck anymore. had no idea if it was facing me or driving away. this remote (range) is amazing.
Motor/ESC: Max6/
4985 SL-1650KV, running 22T. Fast / ran cool. it was fast as hell.

total cost: 566 + 121+ 80 + 211 + appox $100 bucks in other stuff like M2C esc mount, wheel locks, ec5 connec etc.. = $1,100 - $1,200 USD.

Overall:
1) car feels indestructible. i hit a metal chain link fence at full throttle acceleration probably 30-40mph. no damage. and a ton of smash and rolls, and nothing wrong with it, except the back end body corners ripped apart (very minor).
but after three-6s packs, i came home in one piece with no work to do.. what a difference from the kraton v4.each run results in me having to fix something.

2) at full throttle the car takes off and black-flips over, because i think the open cabin just catches air. this feels like a huge design flaw. needs a windshield, or i have to gear down and drop some speed.

3) the car is wayyyyy too soft.. i saw another post and will try 80ct shock oil. it bounces like a pillow..

4) you can't steer with this servo combo until you drop a ton of a speed. the servo is too powerful and fast you are flipping over and over and over and over and... x20.

summary:
its an awesome vehicle, but having run the kraton side by side, its not a comparison. the kraton is just a much better (my opinion) vehicle. It just hugs the ground, gets bigger air, and is just an overall better RC.. except for durability.

So for me... only one thing remains.. doing a KEXB with these electronics. i think that'll be the best rc for me.

Questions:
my steering trim setting is like +27. is that normal? with that it goes straight as an arrow, but any idea how perfect steering. with that setting at 0?

finally
thanks for all your help. this was a fun build.

Last edited:
Spot on! I love my mojave because it feels more like a real car and usually it comes home without braking. My kratons feel lame if i drive them like my mojave so i just end up sending them hard untill something breaks😃
Spot on! I love my mojave because it feels more like a real car and usually it comes home without braking. My kratons feel lame if i drive them like my mojave so i just end up sending them hard untill something breaks😃

My DR8 buggy with nearly identical tire dimensions as the Mojave used to flip over a lot with stock tires. Since I changed to (belted) wider tires (from 5.5mm to 7.0 mm) with also 1/2 inch offset almost all flip overs are gone. Haven’t run it yet though after recently upgrading the servo from 15KG to 25KG.
I’ve seen some guys putting wider tires on their Mojave, so that could be an option.

Questions:
my steering trim setting is like +27. is that normal? with that it goes straight as an arrow, but any idea how perfect steering. with that setting at 0?
Does that radio not have a subtrim? Subtrim to your centered, first setting your existing trim at zero, and then set your end points. I prefer my endpoints equal although in most cases for me I could get more travel in one direction by some varying small amount depending on vehicle. If you are OCD like me get a turnbuckle steering link so that replaces your subtrim.🤣

Does that radio not have a subtrim? Subtrim to your centered, first setting your existing trim at zero, and then set your end points. I prefer my endpoints equal although in most cases for me I could get more travel in one direction by some varying small amount depending on vehicle. If you are OCD like me get a turnbuckle steering link so that replaces your subtrim.🤣
Yes! OCD here for sure.

I like my vehicles looking showroom clean and all my stuff working precisely.

but I am getting more chill lately. Although I know at some point I’m going break, and buy a new body because I don’t like cracks and dents, etc...

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look at that for sure!
Can you share what you got? I’ll order it today.

Last edited:
SECOND RUN:
Took the Mojave and Kraton out with my son.

We had a bunch of snow, the Mojave kicks all that snow up into the body... vs the kraton it does a great job keeping the inside of the body clean. I guess it's time to install the scorched parts rc inner fenders. i feel like this should be a stock offering in next version.

also ended up breaking body mount on the front. the https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Body-M...ds=ARRMA+Body+Mount+Set&qid=1611880334&sr=8-2

literally rolled over in 4s, but i'm sure it was the cold which made it brittle.

does anyone know if there are any after market makers? i'd love to get this in better material.

still think i favor the kraton over the mojave.

I was able to drive my MEXB for the first time today:

Build:
Servo:
Pro Modeler DS555BLHV. The best servo ive ever used. This servo makes the amazon servos feel like the STX remotes. I would say, if you can afford one splurge this is the one you get. and i'm running on 6v and it's sooo powerful. i'll probably never use this at 7.4v
Radio/Receiver: Radiolink rc6gs v2. Everything they say about range is legit. We were able to take it so far, you could barely see the truck anymore. had no idea if it was facing me or driving away. this remote (range) is amazing.
Motor/ESC: Max6/
4985 SL-1650KV, running 22T. Fast / ran cool. it was fast as hell.

total cost: 566 + 121+ 80 + 211 + appox $100 bucks in other stuff like M2C esc mount, wheel locks, ec5 connec etc.. = $1,100 - $1,200 USD.

Overall:
1) car feels indestructible. i hit a metal chain link fence at full throttle acceleration probably 30-40mph. no damage. and a ton of smash and rolls, and nothing wrong with it, except the back end body corners ripped apart (very minor).
but after three-6s packs, i came home in one piece with no work to do.. what a difference from the kraton v4.each run results in me having to fix something.

2) at full throttle the car takes off and black-flips over, because i think the open cabin just catches air. this feels like a huge design flaw. needs a windshield, or i have to gear down and drop some speed.

3) the car is wayyyyy too soft.. i saw another post and will try 80ct shock oil. it bounces like a pillow..

4) you can't steer with this servo combo until you drop a ton of a speed. the servo is too powerful and fast you are flipping over and over and over and over and... x20.

summary:
its an awesome vehicle, but having run the kraton side by side, its not a comparison. the kraton is just a much better (my opinion) vehicle. It just hugs the ground, gets bigger air, and is just an overall better RC.. except for durability.

So for me... only one thing remains.. doing a KEXB with these electronics. i think that'll be the best rc for me.

Questions:

finally
thanks for all your help. this was a fun build.
Nice! I have the same promodeler in the mail on the way! Super stoked

Do you really need slower and weaker servo to keep the truck from flipping over? or could you just turn less with the steering wheel of the radio?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back