Limitless First Speedrun build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroberson77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I need to post pictures, but I am starting on my first speedrun build. Not new to the hobby, just speedrunning.

I have a V1 limitless, Traxxas 2200kv motor and just bought an MMX8s. QS8 connectors for the batteries. Stock gearing for now. Starting with 6s to learn, should I be using 3s instead?

The plan is to fully go through the suspension and get all the slop adjusted and put a good alignment in it, install the speed control and learn. I have ran it a few times with a traxxas VXL 6s and then it died.

Welcome to the club.

Few questions to help get you going.

1. What radio are you running (concerned about range)
2. What does your road look like? How long, how wide, obstacles?
3. What tires are you running on this car? and what is your speed goal?
4. Which LiPos do you have or plan to get?

You can learn a ton from running on 3s initially and is certainly the safe way to learn. Many people crash trying to jump straight to 6s.
You can absolutely go over 100mph on 3s and is a great place to start.

I would recommend installing a capacitor pack for that ESC. The MMX8s suffers from ripple voltage and it can harm the ESC over time.

Welcome to the club.

Few questions to help get you going.

1. What radio are you running (concerned about range)
2. What does your road look like? How long, how wide, obstacles?
3. What tires are you running on this car? and what is your speed goal?
4. Which LiPos do you have or plan to get?

You can learn a ton from running on 3s initially and is certainly the safe way to learn. Many people crash trying to jump straight to 6s.
You can absolutely go over 100mph on 3s and is a great place to start.

I would recommend installing a capacitor pack for that ESC. The MMX8s suffers from ripple voltage and it can harm the ESC over time.

Thanks.

I have a flysky gt3B right now, but will be upgrading to a radiolink.
Road is about .2 mile long, decently wide because it has a turning lane so there is some paint, how concerned should I be about that?
I have the stock hoons and also a set of GRPs, long run plan would be GRPS, what is the best way to balance them?
Speed goal is 100 for right now
I have 50c cheap lipos, will be getting 70 CNHL

Any particular cap pack? Can I make my own?

Thanks.

Road is about .2 mile long, decently wide because it has a turning lane so there is some paint, how concerned should I be about that?
I have the stock hoons and also a set of GRPs, long run plan would be GRPS, what is the best way to balance them?

Hoons are just ok. They tend to have low traction and better for parking lot bashing. The GRPs are good and what I recommend.
Balancers are out there and I just add tape on the inside. The one I use is discontinued but very similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ONEJIA-Wheel...8386&sprefix=1/8+tire+balancer,aps,107&sr=8-3

CNHL G+ packs are a great battery for the price. I have been 127mph on 3s with 2 of the 6Ah G+ packs in parallel.

1,300 ft is pretty good for 100-130 mph. You will need a longer road at higher speeds after that.

You can make your own cap pack if you are good at soldering. I used Panasonic low ESR caps rated for 35v.
There are also many ready-to-install on eBay at reasonable prices.

An example of one of my many homemade packs that later was wrapped in shrink wrap and put some liquid electrical tape over the solder joints for some extra safety. Ideally you want 8,000 or more uF.

caps.JPG

Later I got fancy with 3D printing

Leads Capture.JPG

topCapture.JPG

thanks @LibertyMKiii I have access to a 3D printer and good soldering iron so I will probably make something similar. 130mph sounds like a good limit for me. This is just the closest road to my house, I can travel to better roads
Sounds good.

I would recommend watching James McCoy's setup video and maybe Phillip Jolleys also.
Raz of course has some good tips too about washers on the rear wheel hub and front upper arm setup.

Thanks.

If you have a D*cks Sporting goods store near you check out golf club lead tape. It’s what I use for balancing. Since it’s lead you barely need anything to balance the tires.

Edited since the forum algorithm won’t let me post the proper name.

If you have a D*cks Sporting goods store near you check out golf club lead tape. It’s what I use for balancing. Since it’s lead you barely need anything to balance the tires.

Edited since the forum algorithm won’t let me post the proper name.

I will check that out

Hoons are just ok. They tend to have low traction and better for parking lot bashing. The GRPs are good and what I recommend.
Balancers are out there and I just add tape on the inside. The one I use is discontinued but very similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ONEJIA-Wheel-Balancer-Truing-Balance/dp/B0BGWX885D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5QEE3G5ZHP3F&keywords=1/8+tire+balancer&qid=1670868386&sprefix=1/8+tire+balancer,aps,107&sr=8-3

CNHL G+ packs are a great battery for the price. I have been 127mph on 3s with 2 of the 6Ah G+ packs in parallel.

1,300 ft is pretty good for 100-130 mph. You will need a longer road at higher speeds after that.

You can make your own cap pack if you are good at soldering. I used Panasonic low ESR caps rated for 35v.
There are also many ready-to-install on eBay at reasonable prices.

An example of one of my many homemade packs that later was wrapped in shrink wrap and put some liquid electrical tape over the solder joints for some extra safety. Ideally you want 8,000 or more uF.

View attachment 262181

Later I got fancy with 3D printing

View attachment 262182

View attachment 262183
I like it when you get fancy @LibertyMKiii 😏
@aroberson77 , I would start on 3s. I learned so much on 3s and its so much safer if things go wrong. Everything liberty said is golden advice. Good luck bro and have fun.

Buying supplies for a cap pack and some other odds and ends, is 3M Dual Lock as good as their bumper mounting tape? I like the idea of having the ESC removable

Buying supplies for a cap pack and some other odds and ends, is 3M Dual Lock as good as their bumper mounting tape? I like the idea of having the ESC removable
I personally don't think so. Dual-lock things can be removed pretty easily.
I use dual-lock on the lipos and still have a battery strap over them too.

When Dual-Lock is brand new, it has some pretty amazing holding capability. Using only Dual-Lock on two lipos, I can pick the car up by the batteries and shake it around without even the slightest sense of it coming loose. This, or course, weakens over time. But if you're not constantly taking your ESC out, it'll hold strong for a while.

Regular 3M tape it is!
I have 3m body tape holding my ESC bracket to the chassis and then the ESC can be unscrewed from the bracket.
That 3m tape is tuff stuff.
When Dual-Lock is brand new, it has some pretty amazing holding capability. Using only Dual-Lock on two lipos, I can pick the car up by the batteries and shake it around without even the slightest sense of it coming loose. This, or course, weakens over time. But if you're not constantly taking your ESC out, it'll hold strong for a while.
I was underwhelmed personally. It seemed like the strength was horizontal only and not vertical directions.

I have 3m body tape holding my ESC bracket to the chassis and then the ESC can be unscrewed from the bracket.
That 3m tape is tuff stuff.

I was underwhelmed personally. It seemed like the strength was horizontal only and not vertical directions.
Being able to pick up my car by the batteries and shake it around was sufficient adhesion testing for me but....YMMV :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back