Mojave First tear down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findywen

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Have had this little beast for under a year, probably only have put 10 battery packs through it. Temperatures in So Cal are coming down, I hope, so i figured it was time to do a full tear down. Got new bearings, fluids, and grease ready to go in, as well as some shock boots coming soon. Wish me luck this weekend;
PXL_20210911_014838693.jpg

Have had this little beast for under a year, probably only have put 10 battery packs through it. Temperatures in So Cal are coming down, I hope, so i figured it was time to do a full tear down. Got new bearings, fluids, and grease ready to go in, as well as some shock boots coming soon. Wish me luck this weekend;
View attachment 168432
Likewise, I think the cupcake pan idea is excellent when you’re doing a tear down like that. I need to do mine this weekend it won’t be as extensive, but I am going to service the differentials. I know what you mean, when it’s the first time going through that stuff it can be a little nerve-racking, I’m just grateful that the manufacturer has made it user-friendly in more ways than one. They could have made it harder, anyway……take your time…..

Think I hit a delay. Was a little surprised how eaten the center diff case was, which I am guessing is due to all the sand and grit I am normally driving in. So rather than put it back in I will be ordering a new center diff housing, and I do like the look of the red anodized case.

PXL_20210912_013426499.jpg

Been a little slow going, but since the daily temps are still over 100 degrees I haven't been in a big hurry. Tore the towers completely down to get easier access to the diff housing to replace the bearings. Have them fully rebuilt, jsut need to clean up the shocks, and put some new fluid and some booties on them. Its not easy to see unless you zoom in but there was/is a lot of fine dust caked around the parts. So I am going to watch a video and then do a full tear down and rebuild of the shocks to make sure the internals aren't gummed up.

if anyone is curious, I went with 500k in the center diff, 30k front / 50k rear. Mostly because that is what I was able to find when I bought the fluid, and it is within the range I was recommended when I asked when I joined. We will see how it runs :D

I will say that my next upgrade is going to be some aluminum diff housing, I hate screwing into plastic, and practically everything is screwing into the diff housing.

PXL_20210925_180327806.jpg

Thought many of you would enjoy creative use of tools as I near the finish line of this flush and rebuild. Draining the shocks to inspect any sand damage, add boots to the shafts, and refill with some 35, 40 or 45 wt ( I'm not jumping it, so have considered going with a lighter weight shock oil to see if it makes a noticeable difference in the sand. My thought there was that a quicker recovery to full extension would keep me from tearing up the bottom further, cause its looking gnarly.)

PXL_20211011_193238841.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back